Classical/Traditional Music

And I watched Gotterdammerung and went to bed at 5AM. It was fucking awesome.

Have you heard his double concerto op. 102? That might interest you.

It's a good composition, but not something I would listen to more than a handful of times. That cello part shreds though.

I caught some Schubert performances at a faculty recital. My chorale director sang a couple and, despite her being sick, it turned out well.

In other news, Elliott Carter passed away a few days ago at the age of 103. Boulez and Crumb are all I have left :(

It's a good composition, but not something I would listen to more than a handful of times. That cello part shreds though.

I caught some Schubert performances at a faculty recital. My chorale director sang a couple and, despite her being sick, it turned out well.

In other news, Elliott Carter passed away a few days ago at the age of 103. Boulez and Crumb are all I have left :(

He was even fucking composing AFTER he passed 100. I've only heard few things though, do you have something to rec in particular?

He actually finished his last composition just a month before he died. Apparently he had a huge burst of creativity at 90. Some reasoned that it was because he cooled off on the strict rules of serialism, but I haven't listened to any of his recent compositions. His Eight Etudes and a Phantasy is probably my most listened to composition by him. His Cello Concerto is also a good listen.

He had quite a large number of compositions and I admit that I haven't delved into them fully enough. An interesting historical note: Elliott Carter and Charles Ives were good friends during Carter's youth, but the friendship ended abruptly when Carter wrote an unfavorable review of Ives' Concord Sonata. Carter tried to repair the friendship, but Ives was pretty hurt by the event. Ives actually wrote 3 drafts of letters for Carter about the event, the first one of which expressed forgiveness, but Ives' pride got the best of him and he never sent it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tchaikovsky - Chinese Dance

Pachelbel - Canon In D Major

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana

Claude Debussy - Clair de Lune (Orchestral Version)

Gustav Holst - Mars, the Bringer of War

ravel bolero

I prefer the piano setting myself, but yes, that was the highlight of the group you posted.

I've decided to place myself in Wagner land for the next week or so and listen to "Der Ring Des Nibelungen" from beginning to end. My previous experience with Wagner hasn't been very good, I've always found his music to be far too drawn out, but this is turning out to be much different. I've thoroughly enjoyed listening through "Das Rheingold" and am currently working my way through "Die Walkure."

Hey Onder, are you familiar with any of Alexander von Zemlinsky's compositions?

No I only know the name. I noticed there's shitload of his cds on the internet so I might download one today.

Let me know if you find something good.

EDIT: Dude I thought he lived earlier. This is starting to interest me.

Here's his first string quartet:

Normally, I would probably think it were too "upbeat" sounding for my tastes, but the counterpoint is just so good. This guy certainly knew how to orchestrate too. He was also Schoenberg's only formal music teacher, but was only 3 years older than him.

Speaking of Schoenberg, I've never listen to his pre-atonal leider before just now, and I'm blown away:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbMKH2s7Cq0&feature=fvwrel[/ame]

I have 20 listening journals on romantic era compositions to complete before next Wednesday for my Classical/Romantic Music History course. I could get used to this sort of cramming.

My friend is a much bigger Mahler fan than I and he swears by Barbirolli's recordings. I tend to take his word for it, as he has some pretty damn fine tastes in conductors/pianists/etc, so you might check those out. However, I've never been one to give a lot of listens to 60+ minute symphonies (besides the fucking 9th and the fucking faust symphony), so I can't confirm the validity of those recordings.

My friend is a much bigger Mahler fan than I and he swears by Barbirolli's recordings. I tend to take his word for it, as he has some pretty damn fine tastes in conductors/pianists/etc, so you might check those out. However, I've never been one to give a lot of listens to 60+ minute symphonies (besides the fucking 9th and the fucking faust symphony), so I can't confirm the validity of those recordings.

I've been told that Barbirolli totally blows the 6th. Apparently, his interpretation is relentlessly dark and overlooks a lot of elements of hope and aspiration which make the tragic ending so tragic in the first place. But I haven't heard it for myself.