Classical/Traditional Music

w0es

or gtfo
Aug 30, 2010
Iran
www.w0es.com
I'm listening to Iranian Classical/Traditional Music for a long time and I fucking like it.But now I wanna discover your country's Classical/Traditional Music.

So from any country you are, name some of your country's traditional music that you think is cool.

I may put some links here later to download traditional Iranian stuff.

cheers

for American classical music it really doesn't get more "American" than Aaron Copland. "Fanfare for the Common Man" is heard in tons of movies. "Appalachian Spring" is amazing, and so is "Billy the kid".

From my country I think Paul Kelly is the best at folksy/Australiana,there are probably more Aussie country performers like John Williamson but i would'nt recommend him,it's too countryfied.Paul Kelly does a great job of straddling Australian folk and pop,he's very good.Come to think of it I can't recall a better songwriter from Australia than him.

I'm part Russian so I will submit Tchaikovsky.

Last edited by a moderator:
for American classical music it really doesn't get more "American" than Aaron Copland. "Fanfare for the Common Man" is heard in tons of movies. "Appalachian Spring" is amazing, and so is "Billy the kid".

That's probably why I don't like Copland. :lol:
I've always found him very Americana.
Charles Ives is an interesting composer, he's got some very compelling pieces.

I don't like any shit from my country, at least nothing with portuguese lyrics, but i like some good instrumental brazilian bands, like Macaco Bong, look:

Or you can go for Yamandu Costa. I wouldn't like the music if someone else had played, and yeah, quite traditional brazilian song:

And if you like raw jazz/fusion, you can go for Neural Code. Kiko Loureiro from Angra participates:

That's probably why I don't like Copland. :lol:
I've always found him very Americana.
Charles Ives is an interesting composer, he's got some very compelling pieces.

"Interesting" is one way to describe Ives :lol: Though I've only heard his Emerson Concerto, Symphony No 1 and various Piano/Chamber/Vocal works. I like Copland because he's distinctly American. I'm a sucker for anything that sounds like it ought to be in a Western movie (like Sam Elliott)

I'd say Appalachian hillbilly bluegrass is among the heights of American traditional music.

This video's not the greatest, but at least there are some hot chicks in it and there's not a lot of poorly sung gospel vocals:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaiGAIf3WpQ&feature=related[/ame]

Also high on the list is Negro blues. Here's a couple fun ones (beware of random grating electronic noise in first one when they show the opening title text):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkftesK2dck&feature=related[/ame]

If you're reading this Runk, do not post any dansband or you will put our country to eternal shame.

As far as classical music goes... I'm really not a huge fan, but Gustav Holst is pretty cool. (he's probably not from the us, but I dont really care)

"traditional" american music, I can really only offer some americana~ish stuff, that probably isnt going to translate very well image wise... but I'll go ahead and post them anyway.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhV235GakRE&ob=av2e[/ame]

"Interesting" is one way to describe Ives :lol: Though I've only heard his Emerson Concerto, Symphony No 1 and various Piano/Chamber/Vocal works. I like Copland because he's distinctly American. I'm a sucker for anything that sounds like it ought to be in a Western movie (like Sam Elliott)

Not all of Ives works are readily accesible... though some ones I really dig are:

Symphony 2
Concord Sonata
Central Park in the Dark
The Unanswered Question

Those are some of his most popular pieces also.

I don't really know anything about American traditional/classical music aside from Copland to be honest.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all sorts of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern/West Asian traditional music though, so if you have anything good to recommend w0es I'd be happy.

Japanese traditional music is really meh, too much empty space and it all sounds the same to my untrained ear.

I was born in Korea and the most famous folk song is "Arirang" which is FUCKING AWESOME.

The New York Philharmonic orchestra played "Arirang" in a visit to Pyongyang North Korea. Definitely a tearjerkingly beautiful rendition.

Robert Johnson
Tchaikovsky
Macaco Bong was kinda cool, wasn't traditional though
Gustav Holst was one of my favs till now
16 Horsepower is amazing western stuff!

Strange that I liked almost all of the songs!

I'm confused as to whether this thread refers to 'classical music from your country' or 'the folk music of your country'. With Stenhammar and Alfvén both are covered.

I don't know about traditional music, but as far as classical goes, both Gustav Holst and Copland are good out of this thread. I prefer romantic stuff out of eastern europe including my country of course. These are my favourite pieces or composers:

Shostakovich, mainly Piano concerto in G (the one with the trumpet), his chamber stuff and mainly 7, 8 and 9 out of the symphonies.
Prokofiev: Well, all of the shorts and violin concerto II. is just amazing
Brahms - German fucking Requiem (this is my no. 1 piece of music right now, I'm seriously addicted to it)
Jean Sibelius, romantic stuff from Finland
Mussorgsky, Khachaturian and those raging eastern drunks alike
Dvořák, Smetana out of czech, maybe Martinů too, but not the folky czech patriotic stuff
Tchaikovsky and Strauss of course (that's like, a given)
So far I can't get much into Ravel or Stravinsky, the later inpressionist stuff, but their time will come, I'm quite sure about that.

Baroque and Classical period? Please no.

Glad you liked the Robert Johnson w0es.

I was trying to find some decent sounding slave song performances on youtube, but couldn't seem to get anything. It's all done by a big choir, or a bunch of white people, or has some phony classical instrumentation with it. It's a shame we don't have any recordings of the real thing -- it was probably pretty moving to listen to, and of course it was an influence on a lot of the popular music genres blacks started in the 20th century.

When it comes to classical music, I'm more of a Solo Piano kinnda guy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePfJV-78bQU&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSsKJIzwapA&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAsvRHXR_DE&feature=related[/ame]

3 of my favorites

Well, as far as traditional goes in America, I listen to some Native American flute pieces. I listen to a lot more Jazz, though. My favorite Jazz musician is probably Miles Davis. As far as my own ethnic origins, I only listen to Latin music. I never looked much into African, Eastern European, or Germanic music.