Cleveland Roll Call

Beth

null
Jun 13, 2002
Kentucky
Visit site
I know it's a bit early, but I'm leaving in the morning (we'll be there for 3 days), so I wanted to give at least some of you a chance to reply while I'll still be able to see it. Although I doubt many people from here will be at that show, I thought I'd ask anyway.

I WILL BE THERE!, wearing jeans and the gold opeth logo t-shirt from the last tour.

I'm going! I have been counting down the days since the show was announced!! I really really hope the sound is good there. The Agora is pretty beat up. I saw Soilwork and In Flames there 3 weeks ago and it was a little disappointing.

I thought the sound sucked. They had the bass CRANKED and I think it overpowered the mix. Good show though. I had a group of frat boys and sorority chicks in front of me and they had no idea who Opeth was and were talking shit. I told them Opeth were the headliners and we're letting PT play second tonight.

I loved when Mike said "To all the Porcupine Tree let us explain outselves. We are a deathmetal band. We believe in the Devil"

classic

I was there, great show. However, it wasn't nearly as good as when they were here in January. I think the mellow songs had an effect on that. And, I hate to say this, but Porcupine Tree stole the show. They were amazing. I was tired as all hell while watching them and was still amazed.

al885: I don't think Mike got the joke that guy said. That dude yelled out 'The Curtain Falls', kind of a reference to play The Drapery Falls, and I think it went over his head.

:lol: Well it was my understanding that "Curtain Falls" was a mistake on the guy's part, like he didn't mean to say it..eh I don't know..?

And he didn't say the title of the next album, because they don't even have any plans for the next one yet.

And Peter and Lopez both told me they AREN'T going to be able to come back to the U.S. in the fall as was originally tentatively planned :cry:
But they also both told me that they'll be back before the next album. And I asked Peter if they'd ever have Katatonia with them, and he said "when they get their shit together," hopefully next time around. :)

I didn't notice anything wrong with the sound really, but my brother and his friend Chris sat back in seats, and Chris commented on the bass. I thought it was all perfect though. Mike is so good at banter. He's so funny. I hung out with Seth (Lacent) and his girlfriend up front again, and I'm hoping that Seth will get a new monitor and get back on here. I wanted him to host my pics when I get them back, but I'll probably get them up before then. I got pictures with all the members, and I took pics inside as well, but I bought the cheapest disposable camera I could find for the Jan. show and didn't use it. And I got all 4 autographs. Peter was soo sweet. He spent 20 or 30 minutes walking around everywhere looking for their manager, Jason, to get me a laminate. But he never found him. So then he told me what Jason looked like so I could try to find him, but I didn't :cry:
I still got around to the bus, even though the security wench was really pissed about it. But all the big guys thought I was allowed to be there.
They all remembered me though, and it was fun :Spin:
The first thing I asked Mike when I saw him was if I could use the bathroom (the said wench wouldn't let me). Then I got a picture with him, and he'd just gotten out of the shower and had a towel on his head, but I told him to take it off. I wished I hadn't though :p

Ahh I didn't want to go into too much fan-girl detail, but I can't help myself :erk:
This trip was the most fun 3 days I've ever had.

And the show was amazing. It's a weird feeling to have goosebumps when it's 85 degrees in the room. I apologize for this, but we didn't stay past song #2 of PT. I liked it, but Chris surprisingly didn't. In fact, he compared them to Savage Garden but said he would prefer Savage Garden over them. WTF?! But I was tired, and I'd gotten all I wanted, so we left. I almost went over to buy a PT cd though. I never really listened to them before.

Oh, one last thing.....did anyone else see The Recipe in the ballroom? We walked in for a minute, and it was the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life. The room was full of at least 150 hippies all dancing around like crazy. They were all stoned out of their mind, I'm sure. My friend Kevin bought their cd :Smug: He would have fit right in there.

That's it for now. Was too awesome.

The bass was a bit high--especially the bass drum on the first few songs.

As for "the curtain falls" thing, I think the kid did mean to say "The Drapery Falls". It was kinda funny how Mike repeated it to the audience though to make him look even stupider.

On a sidenote: When are people gonna get that those things don't work anyway. That's so annoying when people "request" songs. Bands have SETLISTS, and they stick to them, because that's what they've practiced. Not a hard concept.

Natural Born Chaos said:
On a sidenote: When are people gonna get that those things don't work anyway. That's so annoying when people "request" songs. Bands have SETLISTS, and they stick to them, because that's what they've practiced. Not a hard concept.

That bothers me too, especially with Opeth. Everyone knows they don't practice until the last minute before a tour.

Natural Born Chaos said:

Not true, some bands listen to what audience is requesting. For example, when I saw Nevermore back in '01, Warrel (the singer) asked which song do u guys want to hear, and they even tried to play one they didn't rehearse, and fucked up, of course, but at least they tried :lol:

I'm not annoyed when pple request songs, but I was pissed when in NY pple were talking in the back during the quiet parts and screaming play something heavy... assholes.

-GK