Messaging Mike

Ozzloaf

Art Geek
Jun 14, 2008
Hey,

I'm wondering if any of you have ever gotten a reply from a message you've sent to Mr. Akerfeldt. I've sent several over the past year, only one containing any stupid "fanboy" type messages of which I now regret. I've never received a reply. I once sent one to the Opeth myspace and I received a reply... saying to send it to Mike instead. Granted, none of these messages were of extreme importance, but it would have been at least nice to receive a reply. I doubt Mike even checks his Myspace messages, but it's the only way I know how to contact him. Another would be the email address posted on the old Opeth site which can be found here: http://web.archive.org/web/19981205185603/w1.891.telia.com/~u89100955/Opeth/ but I've never received any messages back from that address either.

Jake

p.s. I'm not trying to call you out Mike, so don't be offended...

This is pretty cool, hah:

July 1999

October 18th will be a rememberable date for all Opeth fans. It is the official date for the release of the 4th album entitled "Still Life", available through Peaceville records. The album is described to be a cross between "Morningrise" and "My arms, your hearse" combined with even more progressions and developments of the special Opeth sound. It is perhaps the most diverse and progressive album ever recorded by the band with a multitide of different influences, emotions and sounds. Again, Opeth have made a record of the unique and epic nature all fans are craving for. This should be Opeths ticket to worldwide recognition and respect. If not, it will still be a helluva gem within the metal scene, no, correction, the entire music scene for that matter. Track listing: The Moor, Godhead´s Lament, Benighted, Moonlapse Vertigo, Face Of Melinda, Serenity Painted Death, and White Cluster. Total running time is just above 62 minutes.

The cover art for "Still Life" will be taken care of Travis Smith (Death, Overkill, Solitude aeturnus, Katatonia) together with Opeth. We hope to be able to have the cover art available here on the official site within soon.

A full European tour is being planned for late autumn/early winter. Rumours say that the band might go with the legendary UK doom act, My dying bride. Still, this will be confirmed if it will ever happen. See, the band have not been seen live since 1997.

Mikael have again been involved with the vocal production of the latest Katatonia album, "Tonight´s decision". 2 weeks was spent at Sunlight studios for the vocal takes. This effort should hit the streets any day, also through Peaceville records.

lol,
I remember sending a thankyou'ish fanboy'ish message to his myspace once.

It was more of a kind gesture, like a your doing a good job keep it up, but really dragged out, which kinda made it look/sound fanboyish.

I sent a fanboyish message to his myspace once saying my wife sent him a message (which she did) aboutobtaining backstag passes andI got a reply. Here it is.

I don't really know what you're talking about. The band messaged you??
I wrote a blog saying it's impossible for me to answer all emails especially on tour, but I'm sorry that your wfie got upset. I cannot promise a meet and greet but generally we're available after the show...wandering around, or by the bus.

Cheers
Mike

yep I saved the message

It may be difficult to speak with those people. They care about their privacy.
Lazyness? celebrity syndrom? Scared? Any answer is good I think

Lazyness? celebrity syndrom? Scared? Any answer is good I think

Well, unfortunately you struck out with each of those answers. There is no lazyness, celebrity attitudes, or fear of fans with the group of individuals we are talking about. Sorry, but that's just not so.

The band has a world wide audience, and they are contacted constantly by many entities.... not just fans. The members are very accommodating, but they are human and not machines programed to autoreply. Sometimes a band that acquires such a devoted fan base; fans that are effected in some personal way by what the band creates, fans that feel a true sense of loyalty to members who have touched or inspired them in some way, also have to deal with fans who feel like the members share the same connection in a bilateral way.... and expect to have each and every reply to an inquiry reflect the same level of care and enthesiasm in which the inquiry was made. An impossible, unrealistic, inhuman task. In light of such an atmosphere, I have personally witnessed multitudes of bandmember/fan interaction and NOT ONCE have I seen a turned up nose, or celebrity brush-off. Only a gracious humility and tollerance, even in somewhat uncomfortable situations.

So, no. Every answer is not good.

Every musicians are different, Opeth is not too big yet to keep a distance with fans.

I think Samsara didnt understand my comment. As I asked in the last comment, I wanted to know what could explain that and told you that every answer you will provide will be good, because it's a point of view. Im not english speaker, I keep learning.

I sent him several messages before, and I remember he replied to only one during the recording or writing process, and he was like : Everything is going great ! thank you dude
Mike Cheers. but I found it only after 6 months or so in my inbox of myspace, i didn't know that I have received it.
I got few from Fred, who's really down to earth and replies most of the time, only once from Per explaining to me how they worked out with the vocals and stuff. Yeah it feels good to receive such messages :D

basically they have better things to do than reply to endless dumbass fanboy nonsense

I've sent 3 fangirlish messages to Mike's myspace and he replied to all of them. I sent them the day after gigs and I just said thanks for putting on a great show and stuff. I think I must contact him at the right time, maybe when he's not got much to do on the bus or something.

I sent him several messages before, and I remember he replied to only one during the recording or writing process, and he was like : Everything is going great ! thank you dude
Mike Cheers. but I found it only after 6 months or so in my inbox of myspace, i didn't know that I have received it.
I got few from Fred, who's really down to earth and replies most of the time, only once from Per explaining to me how they worked out with the vocals and stuff. Yeah it feels good to receive such messages :D

How did you message Fred?

I once sent a message to mike saying: your band sucks, don't reply if you think it's true..

he never did.:D