Clipping in mastering g isstage

dubbingmixer

Jul 10, 2008
Hi there,

After reading the get your loudness thread, along with some others, it seems that Clipping is pretty much an essential to balance out your transients in the mastering stage.

Can someone please explain to me in a little more depth, in how to apply clipping and why we do it? Also what plugins are avalible, I think Ill use Gclip, but is there anything Pro Tools friendly?

Cheers

Hi there,

After reading the get your loudness thread, along with some others, it seems that Clipping is pretty much an essential to balance out your transients in the mastering stage.

Can someone please explain to me in a little more depth, in how to apply clipping and why we do it? Also what plugins are avalible, I think Ill use Gclip, but is there anything Pro Tools friendly?

Cheers

Oy :lol: But in all seriousness, clipping is basically another way of evening out the volume of individual tracks (along with compression), specifically those with super fast transients, namely drums - by clipping the peaks, you can have a higher overall volume, so your limiter doesn't freak out and pump whenever a drum hit goes KA-POW through everything else. Don't know about PT clipper plugins, though...

haven't used a limiter on my masters in a long time.....most of the time it's low ratio compression paired with clipping for me.

of course clipping IS some kind of limiting, but you know what I mean....

Haha that thread inspired me to make this thread.

Ive never used clipping technique before, I generally use a limiter on my chain. So essentially clipping means I can drive my mix to exceed 0dbfs and any peak transients will be shaved off, without creating any distortion or a worse sounding quality audio?

Cheers, sorry for my ignorance

not to hijack, but what do you guys prefer? clip then compress or vice versa? i clip before compression. i also clip snare in the mix to.
anyone ever send a mix out of a firepod to clip the converters a bit?

I doubt the firepod ad converters are good enough that you'd want to clip them

that said i'm a n00b don't trust what i say

not to hijack, but what do you guys prefer? clip then compress or vice versa? i clip before compression. i also clip snare in the mix to.
anyone ever send a mix out of a firepod to clip the converters a bit?

I usually compress a tiny bit with the C2, the clip just a wee bit with the Apogee converters--->Vtape---> Finalizer (2 more stages of clipping)

Haha that thread inspired me to make this thread.

Ive never used clipping technique before, I generally use a limiter on my chain. So essentially clipping means I can drive my mix to exceed 0dbfs and any peak transients will be shaved off, without creating any distortion or a worse sounding quality audio?

Cheers, sorry for my ignorance

there will be a point where the audio degrades. After all, it is a clipper. :Smug:

The threshold of the clipper determines at what point the audio is clipped...If you have it set to just the highest peaks, only those get shaved...The lower you go, the more you get into the "body" of the sound and gone past merely clipping the highest peaks into clipping. And that becomes readily apparent.