Cloverfield Discussion - Spoiler Warning!

The video was explained. In the beginning, the main guy, whose name I've forgotten, took his friend Beth to Coney Island with his video camera. Later, the video switched to the guys going away party. During the party, the main guy was flustered, because Hud was using the same tape that was in the camera, which (we are led to believe) he used to video the trip to Coney Island with Beth. He was upset about it because of the fight. And the skipping around always occured when he would stop taping. If you've used a video camera in the past, this isn't an uncommon thing, with breaks in footage.

Yeah. I got that. I meant where the monster came from.

The monster came from imagination.

Who cares where it came from, really, it's all just monster movie stereotypes anyways. The complete mystery of it is so much more entertaining. Like John Carpenter's The Thing. Who the hell knows where it came from, all we know is it's FREAKING EVIL! RUN!

Recently, I've been pretty pissed about how movies are so patronizing to the audience. Like AVP 1, when they basically explain EVERYTHING for you, instead of giving the viewer a little credit to piece the story together.

Remember how much mystery there was around Predator? What the hell is it? The mystery of not knowing the enemy was so powerful.

I wanna see a sequel, where they STILL don't explain anything behind the monster's origins. Just tons of military weaponry thrown at it, and it still LIVES. Freakin' invincible. I love it.

Then comes Voltron.

Unless the filmakers have already confirmed otherwise, I'm actually not 100% convinced it was only one monster. I think it's possible there could've been more. Just speculation of course, but that would certainly provide a logical explanation for some of the illogical appearance/size changes throughout the film.

Jason

The monster came from imagination.

Who cares where it came from, really, it's all just monster movie stereotypes anyways. The complete mystery of it is so much more entertaining. Like John Carpenter's The Thing. Who the hell knows where it came from, all we know is it's FREAKING EVIL! RUN!

Recently, I've been pretty pissed about how movies are so patronizing to the audience. Like AVP 1, when they basically explain EVERYTHING for you, instead of giving the viewer a little credit to piece the story together.

Remember how much mystery there was around Predator? What the hell is it? The mystery of not knowing the enemy was so powerful.

I wanna see a sequel, where they STILL don't explain anything behind the monster's origins. Just tons of military weaponry thrown at it, and it still LIVES. Freakin' invincible. I love it.

Then comes Voltron.

A sequel!? No!

I totally agree. Way back when, I wanted to make a movie wherein someone calls up the feds and says "There's a bomb in New York City. It's going to blow up in 2 hours." And then hangs up. No clues, no reason. Just inadvertent hardcore unexplainable catastrophy. I'm sick to death of movies that leave nothing unanswered. It's terrible.

The fact that we have no idea what this thing is, what it wants, if anything, or how to stop it, and the movie ending with it just WREAKING HAVOC makes it all the better, honestly.

It wins. We die. Not even GERMS kill it. Rawr.

I was actually thinking there should be a "sequel" that's not really an after but instead a video of another group's experience trying to get out of the city and what not. However, it could be hard to pull that off w/o being too much of the same movie. I guess they could follow up with Lily since she's the only one of the group we know may have survived.
I was actually somewhat expecting this movie not to do well simply because it doesn't explain anything. I've learned a lot of audiences are actually that dumb and want everything spoon fed to them so this was a nice change.

I was actually thinking there should be a "sequel" that's not really an after but instead a video of another group's experience trying to get out of the city and what not. However, it could be hard to pull that off w/o being too much of the same movie. I guess they could follow up with Lily since she's the only one of the group we know may have survived.
I was actually somewhat expecting this movie not to do well simply because it doesn't explain anything. I've learned a lot of audiences are actually that dumb and want everything spoon fed to them so this was a nice change.

One of the producers (at least I think that was his role) said that that's basically what a sequel might be. The viewpoint of somebody else during the attack.

I don't think it would do great.. this monster didn't seem to have the same allure as other monsters...

One of the producers (at least I think that was his role) said that that's basically what a sequel might be. The viewpoint of somebody else during the attack.

I don't think it would do great.. this monster didn't seem to have the same allure as other monsters...

cant be certain, these guys already have proven they can make a damn good flick, id go see a sequel.

I'd go see a sequel, but I think I'd be seeing it alone. :(

And I assumed that it had been killed, otherwise how would anyone have been able to retrieve the camera? I tend to write in the gaps that the filmmakers leave in movies, and write in my own endings, when it's so open like that.

I'd go see a sequel, but I think I'd be seeing it alone. :(

And I assumed that it had been killed, otherwise how would anyone have been able to retrieve the camera? I tend to write in the gaps that the filmmakers leave in movies, and write in my own endings, when it's so open like that.

True, but who knows how long it took them to find this. Perhaps a day later the monster was moving onto other areas and a sweep team searching for survivors discovered it. Perhaps this is years later. I don't recall there being any dates in the info given before the video starts.

Ooooh.

Howzabout this.

The attack, from the president's point of view? Witnessing complete carnage, unstoppable devastation, and NOTHING he throws at it works? His whole cabinet is in shambles, nervous wrecks, no idea what to do next, then he pushes the button, and discovers that even after a nuke, IT'S STILL COMING!

Or perhaps from a military commander's point of view? He wakes up, gets the call there's a monster stomping a mudhole in New York's ass and walking it dry, then scrambles to the site, only to be defeated with wave after wave of attacks doing nothing to the creature. Panicked soldiers all around, scrambling through the data and reports, running out of ammo cuz Abrams tanks have fired every last round at this thing. Jet fighters looking back after launching entire payloads into it, crying in total disbelief.

There's PLENTY of room for sequels. All wrapped around the same incident.

So apparently we see the origin of the monster in some of the footage with Rob and Beth on the ferris wheel at Coney Island. I actually didn't see it while in the theater, but I guess you see something fall from the sky and land in the water.

There's also an interview with director Matt Reeves where he says something like, "watch the skies, watch the skies." So perhaps a possible sequel(which I personally hope never happens) could center around more of these things arriving on earth, for whatever reason, and causing widespread destruction. From the closeups of the monster, it certainly looks to be something that may live in very deep water, and perhaps that's why it's here on earth. Who knows? Either way, I'd rather not see this movie get tarnished by some stupid military free-for-all sequel with nukes and stupid, cliche military/action movie attempts at humor. I actually much preferred taking in the psychological elements involving the attempt to survive over the monster/actions sequences.

I loved this movie all around.

If it were done any other way, it would have been just another movie. If you put yourself into the character controlling the camera, the movie will be very intense.

SPOILER ALERT BELOW

I heard it was a doorway to a My Little Pony movie?!?!?!

The attack, from the president's point of view? Witnessing complete carnage, unstoppable devastation, and NOTHING he throws at it works? His whole cabinet is in shambles, nervous wrecks, no idea what to do next, then he pushes the button, and discovers that even after a nuke, IT'S STILL COMING!

But all of the sudden, he hires a long time computer nemesis programmer buddy, and his unforseen sidekick who happens to be an astronaut wanna-be to FLY into the monsters mouth and upload a deadly virus! It would be completely original!

It seems most of you sure seemed to like this movie. I just watched an internet copy of this movie ... I thought the movie was horrible. It wasn't the highest quality video in the world, but enough to let me know I didn't like it. I just couldn't deal with the camera work ... reminded me of the Blair Witch Project .. which also was horrible.

This movie to me was like the latest release from Biomechanical .... it was chaotic, hard to follow, and generally one big blur.

Britt