COB Interviews

Interview with Alexi and Janne from a Summerhouse in the East of Helsinki
(translated from german emp by me^^)

EMP: The fifth Studio Album of COB is nearby finished and may sounds better, more evil and more intensive than ever before…

Alexi: We have worked faster than ever before. The recordings became really fantastically, as if you believe or not!

EMP: What’s the reason for? Maybe the hard tournees of the last three years are the reason for you to make better music…

Alexi: I don’t know. May be. Otherwise on the way is no time to rehearse. We only drink a few beer before the show, but after the show its really going on! And when you awake next morning, rehearses are not really the first thing you want to do! But I want to emphasize that we have never pushed up our shows through alcohol! No! At first we do a real job and after we make party, if there’s a reason for. And there is often a reason….

Janne: Yeah! I’m remembering that there was the thirty anniversary of John F. Kennedy’s murder when we were in the states. I and the Basser Henkka visited the scene of the crime in Dallas. There were many people and we recognized immediately that this could be a probabliest place for a terrorist attack!

EMP: And what’s with Roope? He’s quite new in the band…

Alexi: Hm, Roope has meanwhile found a real place in the band, that could be maybe a reason too for the fast recordings. During the first tour he was a kind of stranger, that’s the reason why he drank so much in some nights. At this time we were not really sure if he’s the right one for our band. But after the first complications it was all over and now he’s is a full respected and important member in our band!

EMP: Tell us about the new recording place….

Alexi: Ago we have made our recordings in the Swedish Abyss Studios and in the Astia Studios in East of Finnland. This time it was really great to work here in Helsinki. My Appartment is nearby this house. And so I wake up in my own bed in the morning, then driving here to work on the new album and in the evening I can drive home again! Now we’ve drunk some alcohol and so we couldn’t drive! (laughing)

EMP: And how was the work with Mikko Karmila?

Alexi: Really fantastic! True Mikko is a total different guy than Anssi Kippo from the Astia Studios. Anssi was a total crazy guy – but in the positive meaning! Sometimes I had to sing a part of a song with Anssi hundret times, because he always wanted everything to be perfect! Or maybe more than perfect! Therefore it’s different to work with Mikko. He makes a perfect job too, but his working methods are different than Anssis methods. And maybe it was time to try something new!

EMP: How has Mikko changed your sound, the working methods etc.? Did he changed the structur of a song or so?
Janne: Though, he’s the producer of this album, therefore he has of course an effect to our sound. But at the same moment I want to say, that’s not easy to produce our material. I mean we finish the songs ourselves and it’s very difficult to change the song structures after. But of course we talked very much to Mikko during the recordings and he helped us with his advices.

EMP: (to Alexi) First time you were writing the lyrics before you write the music, of course it happens only because this bad arm injuring….

Alexi: Yes, I wasn’t able to play my guitar, so I started to write evil lyrics! I have just arrived from the three week Los Angeles trip and of course on the journey were a lot of heavy parties!
When I came home and saw myself in the mirror, I said to me “Shit, you asshole, you have to be better immediately or you will get serious problems!” After this I write the title track for the album ‘Are you dead yet?’

EMP: What kind of lyrics do you have written? The usually stuff or new things?

Alexi: I think the words are normal Bodom-Stuff. I think for me it’s really normal to write about bad topics and so. I hate many things and I want to tell my fans about it. And of course there’s a typical bodom song, this time he names “Bastards of Bodom” and has been written from Kimberly Goss. The Reaper is going crazy again!

These are mine interviews with Henkka and Alexi from 05.01.2006.Zagreb,Croatia!

CHILDREN OF BODOM
05.01.2006. CLUB BOOGALOO,ZAGREB CROATIA

INTERVIEW WITH HENKKA(bass player)

ME(Natali):So this is your first time in Croatia,and how does it feels to see new place,play in a new place,see new fans,etc.?
HENKKA:It's very nice...It's very exciting...Because usually...We've been touring so much,that we have almost played...like wherever we go,we've usually already played there before!I have no idea how croatian fans are,and...yeah I'm just...I was looking forward...
ME(Natali):Are you excited now,before concert?
HENKKA:Yes...and I'm realy happy that we can make it now in Croatia.I've been waiting for it,realy long time.
ME(Natali):Realy?
HENKKA:Yes!I always wanted to be here!
ME(Natali):No way?
HENKKA: (smiles)Yes!Last summer I was supposed to go to south coast of Croatia,to Split and Dubrovnik,but I didn't have time,so that's why I'm happy...But maybe next summer....
ME(Natali): Oh,you're welcome!So,you're on the tour since September!Does it boders you to be in the bus all the time,with the same people,every day on the road?
HENKKA:Well we started our tour in Japan,Australia...then we've had couple of weeks at home,and then we went to America,and then we've had 10days at home,and then we came here.So,we're on tour 3 months now...And...Well it's...Of course,sometimes it's realy hard ,but it's fun to see new places,and new people...
ME(Natali): Do you miss your home,familly...?How you face with that?
HENKKA:Yes of course...But you just have to ...For example on this tour we've been one month at home,so...You just don't think about that...
ME(Natali):Tell me how it is to be big in Japan?
HENKKA:It's nice...(smiles)We're not...But I guess that we're big for a metal band.
Fans and people are very polite,they're very....They don't...Not so euphoric when they see you...I mean they're not like(shows crazy huging with his armsJ)...They're peacefull people.
Yeah...It's good to be in Japan,it's nice country to play!
ME(Natali):Why so many cover songs?What's the story behind that?
HENKKA:Cover songs?In the past we've been always asked..if record label is doing some tribute album for some band to do cover song for that band,and we've always said yes,cause it's fun to do cover songs.Since then,we have always...When we've been in the studio,we would usually pick 2 cover songs,just in case if we would need them in some point...
It's fun to play somebody elses songs....to hear how some song can sound on our way.
ME(Natali):When did you realised that you wanna be/play in some band?
HENKKA:I was just listening to metal music,and I was like...I've asked my mom,if she could buy me a guitar,and then she bought me guitar,and I started to play guitar...And Alexi invited me to play in his band...I've never realised anything...I just played,and played and played...
ME(Natali):And now you're here!!!
HENKKA:Yeah(smiles).Never know what's gonna happen.
ME(Natali):And who were your idols...in your childhood?
HENKKA:In my childhood....?Hm...One of the biggiest bands was maybe Guns 'n Roses,and
Pantera was really big too!
ME(Natali):Which music you're into nowadays?
HENKKA:I listen to all kinds of music...From glam to hip-hop.I don't like progressive rock,or power metal,but everything else is ok.
ME(Natali):Name some bands you like!
HENKKA:I like Slayer,In Flames...I like Soilwork...HIM,Entoombed...which bands more...I always forget...I like Canibal Corpse,I like Cardigans...everything that is good.
ME(Natali):If you ask your fans,most of them will say that they like every song,that they can't decide which album they like the most,cause everything is so awesome...But can you say which is your fave song,or album maybe,when it comes to Children of Bodom?
HENKKA:Yes I can decide!The last one album is the best,and probably some song from the last album is my fave song....For me...It's always that the last album is the best.And it doesn't matter which song or album is better or whatever,cause as long as people like our music it's ok.....And on our shows we always play songs from each album...so we can keep everybody happy!
ME(Natali):How much you give attention to the videos,cause it's important that song is played on tv too,not just on the radio!?
HENKKA:We would like to do videos..of course,but it's up to record label,if they give us some money for the video...So,it's up to them actually!But lately we've been doing more videos,and we would do another one video for Are you dead yet,at some point!We like to do videos,but it's very expensive,so...It's up to record label.
ME(Natali):How much time it took you,to create last album?
HENKKA:We started in January,and everything was ready in June.So it's six months,including songwriting,recording,....and everything.
ME(Natali):And what are you doing when you're not on tour,not doing anything related to the band and how does it feels to be at home...to have your free time?
HENKKA:I'm hanging out with my friends,I try to study for university,I play football,as much as I can...and I get drunk with my friends(smiles)...yes,that's what I do.
ME(Natali): Do you more like to play in small places/clubs or on festivals?Or everything has it's good side?
HENKKA:Yeah,both have good sides...That's the thing...But I prefear to play in small clubs...cause then it's more personal with the public,you can almost see everybody,and that's the good thing with the club shows...you have personal conntact with audience.
ME(Natali):Tell me which atmosphere is now around Children of Bodom,and how it was before?I mean...Are you better treated then before...Are you more well served now,when you're popular,then before?
HENKKA:Well,yes...now on tour...Cause we're doing now head-lining tour,we're the main band,and of course that we're better served,so...It's always,when you're in the main band,you get good service...You know,everybody are treating us very well....so...It's nice!
ME(Natali): Ok,and now some more music quests again...Which music era is your fave one,70's,80's...or it's now maybe?
HENKKA:I like the new stuff!
ME(Natali):What's the most precious thing that you own,beside your guitar?Like....you're going on some abandoned island,and which 3 things you would take with you?
HENKKA:I would take my i-Pod,I would take(pauses)...hm...it's hard...I would take my cauch(we laugh),yes from my dad's first apartment,it's very nice...And...
ME(Natali):Some boat to go back!
HENKKA:Yeah!Actually my brother bought boat last summer,so...yeah I would take the boat!
ME(Natali):If you could choose some person from history to live his/her life,who would that be,and why?
HENKKA: Oh,one of my friends asked me this before...and I was realy confused,cause I couldn't...Depends how you look at that...It's realy hard(we laugh)!Maybe,like...If I would like to change something in history I would be for example Hitler and not to start the war,you know...And save the world from World War 2...but if you don't take it on that way I would probably be Mozart.Even if his life wasn't so nice...But,yeah...for example him!
ME(Natali):And now and before,if you ask me the best music comes from Finland,and I wanna konw with which bands are you good friends and which bands you listen at your home,which are from Finland?
HENKKA:Well...I don't like Nightwish,but they're our good friends,and I don't listen to them at home...They have couple of songs which I like....Sentenced...I used to be big fan of them,and I like HIM and I like one hard core band which is called Down my throath,they just have new album out,and it's good band too,from Helsinki...
ME(Natali):Tell me which is the diference between finnish fans and other world-wide fans...Which is the difference to play in front of your people,and to play in front of other fans?
HENKKA:Well,Europe fans usually don't speek english very well,so it's sometimes hard to comunicate...So,people are like...more just taking pictures and ask me autographs.And in Finland people are more talking...cause we have the same language,and the same is with people from States,cause they're speaking english...But for example people in Spain,Italy,Portugal are like...little wild,you know,and they go like,crazy...
ME(Natali):I've heard that fans in Mexico are euphoric?
HENKKA:Yeah,and Brazil,Chile,Columbia...yeah..But in North Europe people are more calm...But there are not so many differences in the end.
ME(Natali):Which culture do you like the most,which you've got to know?The way of living,tradition,etc.?
HENKKA:For example,when I've had holidays I went to Asia to Cambodia and Tajland,I like far east asian people and their culture as well,and food...everything!

CHILDREN OF BODOM
05.01.2006.CLUB BOOGALOO,ZAGREB CROATIA

INTERVIEW WITH ALEXI(vocal/guitar)

ME(Natali):This is your first visit to Croatia!Have you been out,to take a look around?
ALEXI:Actually,I just woke up,so didn't had time!
ME(Natali):How it is to be every day on some other place/town,to see new people,etc.?
ALEXI:I like it!I like to move,that's lot of fun!
ME(Natali):You're on tour since September,and does it boders you to be on the road all the time,and to watch the same faces every day...Do you miss your home?
ALEXI:Well...we get along with each other,we don't fight or anything...That's not the problem...you know...I like touring...and of course that sometimes you get tired and sick of it for couple of days,but after that,it's ok.And when it comes to familly,it's better,not to think about that.You just have to fix that in your head you know...It's better just to think that you're here,where you are,and that you can't get somewhere else,so..you just forget about things like that,until you get there....
ME(Natali):How it is to be big in Japan?
ALEXI: (smiles)Well,it's nice...I mean...In Japan it's always fun to play...They're just diferent,you know....Fans in there are very polite....They're not so euphoric like in South America for example!
ME(Natali):Why so many cover songs?
ALEXI:I don't know...Usually we do that cause of bonus-tracks,for example for Japan edition,the b-side of the single,or whatever...We love doing cover songs,it's always fun.
ME(Natali):When did you realised that you wanna have your own band,that you wanna do and be what you're now?
ALEXI:Well I guess,that it's something I've been dreaming of,since I was a lil kid...I started to play guitar age 11,and think that it was...age 13 when I've realised that I don't wanna study,or anything...I just wanted to have my band,and that's what I did!
ME(Natali):Who were your idols in childhood?
ALEXI:A lot of bands of course...you know,but think these glam rock bands like Twisted Sister,Skid Row,Guns 'n Roses.
ME(Natali):Which music you're into nowadays?Still this bands,or...?
ALEXI:Yes I'm still into that bands and also black,death metal,and a lot of punk-rock too,so...I'm into a lot of diferent things!
ME(Natali):Can you decide which is your fave album or song of Children of Bodom?
ALEXI:I think that my fave song is the first song from our last album.
ME(Natali):How much attention you give to videos,cause I know that you weren't satisfied with video for Needled 24/7,and Henkka told me that videos are expensive and then you got video which you don't like at all...?!
ALEXI:Yeah!It was this director...and he's not been listening to us....We were like,we don't want this,or that,or do this,or do that....But,he wasn't listening to us...And it was crapy...
ME(Natali):How much time it took you,to create this album?
ALEXI:Hm....It was maybe..erm..(counts months on his fingers),all in all 6 months maybe.
ME(Natali):You have 2 bands,CoB and Sinergy...So,how do you organise your time to be able to work in 2 bands,and that everything goes right with both bands?
ALEXI:Well,since I'm touring with CoB,I don't have time to do anything else,but there should be new album of Sinergy pretty soon,and couple of things are already recorded,so...I can handle with that!
ME(Natali): Do you like more to play in small places/clubs,or on festivals?
ALEXI:I think both!There're different vibes,but of course that it's exciting to play infront of so many people on some festival,but then again in small venues you have more conntact with the crowd...If I should pick,I would pick up small clubs...
ME(Natali):Which atmosphere is now around Children of Bodom,and how it was before?Are you better served then before?Do you get more attention then before?
ALEXI:Well,yeah...But it really doesn't change us as human beings,we're still the same dudes that we've were before.....Well,ok it changes you,but not in a way that we think that we're big fuckin' rock stars...We're still like...on the ground.
ME(Natali):Which is the most precious thing that you own,beside your guitar?
ALEXI:probably my car!(laughs)It has a sentimental value to me!
ME(Natali): Ok,and if you could pick up some person from history,to live his/her life,who would that be?
ALEXI:Well...I would probably be Randy Rose,and not to jump on that small plane,and not to die,so...
ME(Natali):Let's say that you're going on the abandoned island,and name 3 things,which you would take with you!
ALEXI:Hm...my guitar defenetley,the biggiest bottle of alchocol....Like big,big,big Jack Daniels...and...yeah...probably my girlfriend!
ME(Natali): Do you like to read,watch movies?Which is your fave book/film?
ALEXI:I'm into movies defenetley!It's hard to pick up,the fave one...but...I like Blues Brothers.
ME(Natali):I don't want to ask you where does the name CoB comes from,cause think that we all know the story behind that....But I wanna know,does it still inspires you,what have happened on Bodom lake when it comes to writing lyrics?
ALEXI:Well...It's like we do the one song about that on every album...and it's always kinda black humor...
ME(Natali):How it is to be/play at home,and how it is to play in other countries...The difference?
ALEXI:Well...there is some difference!But in a way it's not such a big difference...
ME(Natali):And which finnish bands are your friends,or you listen to them at home?
ALEXI:Nightwish!We're good friends...
ME(Natali):Ok,and some quickie quest!Your fave coulour...?
ALEXI:Think that it's obvious that it's black!

Nice Interviews, Natali! Thank you for that!

But I´d be extremely pissed off, if my boyfriend would say, that the most precious thing he owns, beside his guitars, is his car...:)

Vicious Cat said:
Nice Interviews, Natali! Thank you for that!

But I´d be extremely pissed off, if my boyfriend would say, that the most precious thing he owns, beside his guitars, is his car...:)
Well, a boyfriend or girlfriend doesn't "own" you, y'know?;)

Well... I think, I took the question wrong...:erk:
So, for the next time, a note to myself: First read it, then think about it, and then write a comment... :)