Cobra Clip using Cab Impulses

I don't think so. But if I had the stuff, I would do it. I don't have a deconvolver or a wav to use as the impulse. I'd love to do it though, just to see how big of a difference there really is...because as far as I can tell, all the "bad" things I've heard about it cease to become my problems and the minute differences are negligable once it's in a mix with other intruments.

~e.a

elephant-audio said:
Keiffer, I'm with you man. There is really hardly any noticeable difference between the impulses and the real deal...it is the real deal, lol.
Impulses really rely on the ability of someone to capture the cab. Just the same with convolution reverb impulses. This is the same technology.

I agree a mic'd cab is the best, but a quality Impulse of the same cab can be very convincing. Just as with Convolution Reverbs, the quality of the Impulse is paramount.

I have suspicions that some have tried Impulses that basically don't sound like their cab and were not mic'd similarly to the way they mic and so the Impulse gets blamed. I can hear it... that sucks, I can't even EQ it and make it right.

Click here for two clips: One clip is the mic'd cab and the other is an Impulse of that cab. I'm not saying which is which. They're not exact, but they're really close. iekobrid, check this.

Look for Amp or Impulse Clip 1 and Amp or Impulse Clip 2

Remember, this isn't about liking my tone.

kp-

iekobrid said:
What's the story with the bass guitar? A friend of mine has been looking for some 'clank' like that. (Not being facetious, seriously asking.)
It's my Ibanez SR400 (neck PU) thru a Sans Amp BDDI, then with a bit of Izotope's Trash thrown in. I picked fairly hard up on the neck to get the clang.

I don't know man, I really dig the way everything sounds, raw as fuck, hell I wouldn't mind if you over-limited the whole mix either. Anyway, I wish you'd record a Discharge cover with this whole sound, seventh fucking heaven if you ask me! :kickass:

Also, thanks for the impulses.

iekobrid said:
What's the story with the bass guitar? A friend of mine has been looking for some 'clank' like that. (Not being facetious, seriously asking.)

Yeah, the bass pretty much stole the show on that mix. How about some info on that?

I prefer Clip #2. Clip #1 is a bit hotter and has more high end, so it stands out more right off the bat, but it's kind of harsh and less dynamic than #2 IMO.

They're not really THAT different and I'd be stoked if you told me that #2 was the impulse version.

black sugar said:
Yeah, the bass pretty much stole the show on that mix. How about some info on that?
I like hearing the bass line as an extension of the guitar like in KSE stuff. I've been working on this for some time but have never been happy at all. After tracking this one, it felt closer than anything else I've done.

It's my bass thru a Sans Amp BDDI with the Drive and Presence almost all the way up, but with the Treble at about 10:00. In the DAW it's compressed and parallel to that is Izotope's Trash with the bottom rolled off.

kp-

Here's a short three part clip of the Bass Gtr

Part 1: Gtr Tracked using Sans Amp Bass Driver DI
Part 2: Izotope's Trash Added (Parallel)
Part 3: Trash Buzz Processor Added (touch of Delay)

Clangy Bass Gtr Clip

kp-