College Football: Notre Dame and other goodies

See You In Hell

Is this the real McCoy?
Feb 13, 2007
five-venoms.spaces.live.com
Well we're a few weeks into the college football season and it's shaping up to be rather interesting (so far at least). What do you think?

I LOVE seeing Notre Dame playing so ineptly! Everywhere I look I see Notre Dame this and Notre Dame that. NBC = Notre Dame Broadcasting Company. Ugh! Am I the only one sick to death of the golden domers?? I'm sure the Notre Dame ship will be righted soon enough (not this season though) but I'm enjoying watching that sinking ship right now! :headbang:

Is USC unstoppable? Granted Nebraska was terribly overrated but good Lord that USC squad looks tough!

What the hell happened with Michigan in weeks 1 and 2??? At home???

Outside of the game against Texas what an easy schedule Oklahoma University has! I just looked at it today and if they get by Texas I think they'll run the table. Hmmm.....just for grins I checked the Texas schedule too. Outside of Oklahoma they've got a soft schedule too. Looks like Texas - OU weekend will be big this year!

As for my beloved West Virginia Mountaineers it's nice to see them win their games and manage to slide in the polls. What gives? Sheesh! Oh, yeah they haven't played anybody yet outside their road game at Maryland who doesn't look to be as good as initially billed. The schedule's going to get tough pretty soon though as the Big East looks loaded again this year (despite Louisville's upset at Kentucky).

I think I missed the boat on Auburn this year. I thought they'd be better...

Well that's enough random thoughts for now so if any of you are college football fans please chime in about your observations so far.

I'm with you on Notre Dame. Any day they lose is a good day.

Also, as someone who went to Texas and still lives in Austin, the Okies aren't going to have much trouble. Texas/OU weekend is the same as ProgPower so I'll probably have to drown my sorrows by the time the doors open.

USC probably is unstoppable, but as a Cajun mutt I have to be pulling for LSU. They play Florida in a couple of weeks so we'll see.

Until then...Hook'em Horns!! (Please don't embarrass yourselves.) :headbang:

Yah Penn State! Of course the weekend I'd get to taunt my boyfriend as they destroyed ND, I'm not home to watch the game.

Everyone please thank GEORGIA TECH for beating Notre Dame in the season opener! 33-3!
We also demolished Samford 69-14, though no one expected Samford to win...
GT vs BC this past weekend sadly was a different story, as watching the refs make call after call after call against us was positively rage-inducing. Whatever, next game!

Yeah, there were some really tough calls against Tech Saturday... Luckily, though, I was primarily watching Alabama whip Arkansas (well, they DID dominate for the first quarter or so) and then pull out a heart-stopping win at the very end. Some Auburn fans rooting for Arkansas were sitting next to us, poor things. :D

There was a statistic floating around on talk radio, that it was (I think) for 9 consecutive seasons, Notre Dame started their foo_ball season ranked, and ended the season unranked. 9 consecutive years that the Fightin' Irish couldn't put up a fight worthy of even staying ranked, let alone win anything important.

That's a sad fuckin statistic! And it says, Notre Dame is not worth their ranking!!!

Bump them outta Div. 1A. Put freakin' Appalachian State in there! THEY have a playbook worth watching! This is coming from a Wolverine!!!

I'm a huge Notre Dame fan and they're practically a religion in my family. They suck so badly this year partly because of a true freshman quarterback, weak offensive line, and let's face it, it's rebuilding time. Everything is cyclical. Shit happens. But, they also have ELEVEN national championships and are the greatest and most known college football entity in the country. They will be back as everything goes in cycles. Don't be jealous. Join us!

I'm a huge Notre Dame fan and they're practically a religion in my family. They suck so badly this year partly because of a true freshman quarterback, weak offensive line, and let's face it, it's rebuilding time. Everything is cyclical. Shit happens. But, they also have ELEVEN national championships and are the greatest and most known college football entity in the country. They will be back as everything goes in cycles. Don't be jealous. Join us!

Notre Dame has supposedly been "rebuilding" for years now though.

~Brian~

Bump them outta Div. 1A. Put freakin' Appalachian State in there! THEY have a playbook worth watching! This is coming from a Wolverine!!!

:lol:Appy State (Boone, NC) is located about an hour away from my house. They're a small school, but they have a helluva school spirit over there and their fans ALWAYS back their teams. Me and my crew use to drive over during our college days and watch them play my ETSU Buccaneers. Needless to say, ETSU rarely faired out well against them. I'm glad that Appy State is getting some respect though since they're a Southern Conference team.

~Brian~

Everyone else does, too. All of the football factories in Florida seem to get the best recruiting classes. That's just a fact of life.

Yep, it's hard to not grab a carrot like a Florida campus over South Bend, Indiana. No offense, but you're right. The Gators seem to fair out the best among the Florida schools though. That school seems to be an all out athlete factory and not just a football factory.

~Brian~

I don't buy the "rebuilding year" defense, and here's why. Every school goes through a rebuilding, every season. Cuz every school's got seniors graduating, and freshmen coming in. Every school has to go through the process, and that equals things out.

The only thing that does not rebuild, is the coaching staff, the trainers, and the playbook. And you can't blame their mistakes on a rebuilding year, you blame it on THEM. Notre Dame hasn't been able to show any consistency for years now, and lose games because they have fossils on their staff holding them back. Yes, a coach CAN get to old to coach.

Rebuild the staff, not the players. Otherwise, the argument holds less water than a screen door.

Bring back Gerry Faust!:lol: Right now, my money is on LSU as the best team.

Here's hoping the USF Bulls can do away with NC this weekend and set up a big game with West Virginia at home.:headbang:

Yep, it's hard to not grab a carrot like a Florida campus over South Bend, Indiana. No offense, but you're right. The Gators seem to fair out the best among the Florida schools though. That school seems to be an all out athlete factory and not just a football factory.

~Brian~

I'd say that up to 2005 the Hurricanes dominated Florida.. No school in the country has more players in the NFL than the Canes.. And 5 national titles (+1 that wat STOLEN from them... what a bad call) in 2 decades.. There's no argument that UM was the best Florida school for the past 25 years..

The last 2 years have been miserable, though... Just awful, boring football!

But it is amazing what Florida has done with their basketball program... A football school winning back to back basketball titles is pretty damn impressive!

Nice to see the other Florida schools, other than the big 3, getting decent recruits.. USF has a nice team, UCF is not TOO bad and even FAU has improved considerably... I attend FAU, so I am biased :p

I don't buy the "rebuilding year" defense, and here's why. Every school goes through a rebuilding, every season. Cuz every school's got seniors graduating, and freshmen coming in. Every school has to go through the process, and that equals things out.

The only thing that does not rebuild, is the coaching staff, the trainers, and the playbook. And you can't blame their mistakes on a rebuilding year, you blame it on THEM. Notre Dame hasn't been able to show any consistency for years now, and lose games because they have fossils on their staff holding them back. Yes, a coach CAN get to old to coach.

Rebuild the staff, not the players. Otherwise, the argument holds less water than a screen door.
Charlie Weis is not old at all and only been coaching ND for three years. The rebuilding defense? Check their team this year compared to last. They had Brady Quinn who was very good in his junior and senior year and now they have a true freshman QB. Talk to me in two years when Jimmy Clausen is a junior and we'll see what happens. ND has way more titles than anyone. No other division 1A team is within reach of eleven national championships. Times change and now more schools also get the great players.

I disagre.. I mean, he's had 3 recruting classes already! The team should be pretty decent by now... Or at least not a total embaressment! 5 straight losses by 20+ points?
As I said, times are changing and many more schools, especially in the south are getting the best recruiting classes. Many of those southern schools were also the first ones to start employing pro style offenses, too. Whereas, in the Lou Holtz era at ND, he still ran the QB option offense. That's why Ron Powlus didn't do as well as so many people thought. They tried the "Blarney" offense, which was four wide receivers, but it didn't work.