College Football: Notre Dame and other goodies

Your points are all valid.. But.. no other major school is looking this bad! There is no excuse for this level of mediocrity...
Besides, If Michigan didn't play ND this past week, maybe they'd have three losses. At least ND hasn't lost to a division 1AA team. Hell, I'd say Michigan might look worse than ND really. Penn State's liable to bury Michigan this week.

Besides, If Michigan didn't play ND this past week, maybe they'd have three losses. At least ND hasn't lost to a division 1AA team. Hell, I'd say Michigan might look worse than ND really. Penn State's liable to bury Michigan this week.

Hmm. I think we get the idea that you're a through-and-through ND fan! Yes, Michigan lost to a 1AA team. Notre Dame lost to Michigan. What does that say about Notre Dame? And Michigan beat ND with a true freshman, as well, so you can't use the QB as the excuse!

Besides, I don't think anyone here is expecting to win big against Penn State though the papers are still focusing on the fact that Michigan DID win.

No one denies that Michigan has folded when it matters most, but they've certainly had more opportunities to screw up big games recently than Notre Dame has!

Ahem! Am I a Notre Dame fan? LOL...check the name!
I grew up in a house very much like the one pictured in Rudy...although I didn't have a kid (or older) brother who worshipped the Irish and went on to play there as in the the flick. I have always loved them - win, lose, or really suck, which is what is going on now....but that is OK. College is way different from the pros as Charlie is finding out...he'll be around for a while, and I'm with ya, Emerald Sword, let's see where they are in a couple years when Clausen is a junior and the offensive line has been together longer...Patience is indeed a virtue and we Irish fans are certainly a virtuous bunch, LOL. I have to admit, though, that I enjoyed the first two Michigan losses more than I hated seeing the first two Irish losses...And as long as they aren't playing Notre Dame, I am actually a Penn State fan too - again, the proximity helped that - and I hope they stick it to the Wolverines on Saturday! I just hope the Irish can eke out a win against Air Force later this season when I'll be there, bedecked in blue and gold, on the annual pilgrimage...GO IRISH!

Gold and blue, through and through...

:)

Notre Dame's football program is not as good as it once was. In times past they were a great team and won against some very tough schools. These days they're a laughing stock and a shadow of their former selves. Why they have a nationwide TV contract is beyond me!

However, it was awesome seeing Notre Dame lose to Penn State. But then again I am biased! (I graduated from PSU in 1993)

GO PENN STATE!!

To all of the Irish fans on the board, and I'm not one of them, if people weren't being critical of a school the caliber of Notre Dame, then something would be wrong. I have no love for the Fighting Irish, but I have respect for the school's legacy. With that said, I'm sure Notre Dame will be back, because I agree that things do work in cycles.

~Brian~

Being a UGA Fan, it is hard for me to hate ANY team more than FLorida but there is one...Notre Dame. It is PERFECT with me they suck so bad this year. Look GA was rebuilding last year and this year but we still are looking respectful unlike the GOldern Domers. We will need all the help we can muster this weekend against Alabama.

Notre Dame's football program is not as good as it once was. In times past they were a great team and won against some very tough schools. These days they're a laughing stock and a shadow of their former selves. Why they have a nationwide TV contract is beyond me!

However, it was awesome seeing Notre Dame lose to Penn State. But then again I am biased! (I graduated from PSU in 1993)

GO PENN STATE!!
Because we had Knute Rockne, Joe Theismann, Joe Montana, Paul Hornung, The Four Horsemen, and eleven national championships. Notre Dame is America's team and the most storied college football entity in history. Everyone knows the Notre Dame fight song when they hear it. Besides, Joe Paterno has been at Penn State since Hitler died and he has two national championships. What happened last year in Happy valley when ND still had their seniors? Total devastation of Penn State. I'm not trying to start a flame war, but facts are facts. I'm glad people love other teams or else it wouldn't be fun, but I love ND and they are the greatest college football program ever. Look into their history, love them or hate them, and you'll see what I mean. GO IRISH!!!

Being a UGA Fan, it is hard for me to hate ANY team more than FLorida but there is one...Notre Dame. It is PERFECT with me they suck so bad this year. Look GA was rebuilding last year and this year but we still are looking respectful unlike the GOldern Domers. We will need all the help we can muster this weekend against Alabama.

Well, I'm a University of Tennessee Volunteer fan and I have no love whatsoever for the U.G.A. Bulldawgs! :lol: Notre Dame doesn't bother me, but any other SEC team...well, that's a different story. This year it looks like we need to rebuild something, but I'm just not sure exactly what that is yet. :erk: We got slaughtered by the Gators last week.

~Brian~

Well we're a few weeks into the college football season and it's shaping up to be rather interesting (so far at least). What do you think?

I LOVE seeing Notre Dame playing so ineptly! Everywhere I look I see Notre Dame this and Notre Dame that. NBC = Notre Dame Broadcasting Company. Ugh! Am I the only one sick to death of the golden domers?? I'm sure the Notre Dame ship will be righted soon enough (not this season though) but I'm enjoying watching that sinking ship right now! :headbang:

Well I'm a Michigan fan so you could say I don't much care for ND and it made my day when they got pounded. Same with Penn state a week later...

Depending on who you ask, so does Alabama... your point? ;)

Alabama is the Rodney Dangerfield of college football. That said, sometimes we deserve it. :p

(Yes, I know if Alabama has 11, ND has 13... :))

Shaye
But, ND really does have 11, Shaye. I see what you're saying because ND should
have had at least a share in the title in 1993 since they beat Florida State head to head and both teams had one loss. That's why a playoff system is needed. It will never happen, though.

Well would you look at that.....the Mountaineers decide to turn the ball over 6 times and get stuffed by South Florida. Sheesh! Big East looks a little different now with West Virginia, Rutgers, and Louisville all taking it on the chin. So much for rankings! :lol:

And Oklahoma AND Texas getting upset too! Wow!
And Clemson too.
Wisconsin eked one out.....barely.

What a crazy weekend so far!! Guess the NFL tomorrow could get crazy too.....

Look;

The real reason that Notre Dame is crashing so hard is ACADEMICS, not ATHLETICS. Notre Dame is one of the most academically competitive schools in the nation. Unlike some of the public football factories, unless you have the grades, you DO NOT get into Notre Dame, Period. End of Discussion. Most of the newer powers are PUBLIC Universities. Their standards are lower. In some cases, you are accepted if you have a pulse and can drop 20ppg or run 150 yds per game. That is the reality. Notre Dame is not going to get those players. And, the more that High School players are coddled in the South and Midwest, where some players could barely read Dr. Seuss, never mind Vonnegut, and get spectacular grades in some classes like "Firewind 101", the more Notre Dame is going to go behind the eight ball.

Peace,
Ray C.

Look;

The real reason that Notre Dame is crashing so hard is ACADEMICS, not ATHLETICS. Notre Dame is one of the most academically competitive schools in the nation. Unlike some of the public football factories, unless you have the grades, you DO NOT get into Notre Dame, Period. End of Discussion. Most of the newer powers are PUBLIC Universities. Their standards are lower. In some cases, you are accepted if you have a pulse and can drop 20ppg or run 150 yds per game. That is the reality. Notre Dame is not going to get those players. And, the more that High School players are coddled in the South and Midwest, where some players could barely read Dr. Seuss, never mind Vonnegut, and get spectacular grades in some classes like "Firewind 101", the more Notre Dame is going to go behind the eight ball.

Peace,
Ray C.
You couldn't be more correct. Unfortunately.

You couldn't be more correct. Unfortunately.

True, but not nearly as true as it used to be... two words for you: Demeco Ryans (now playing for the Texans). :D

Seriously, for all the bad rap the SEC in particular gets (and deservedly so in the past), things are really changing:

From 2003-05, the SEC has had more student-athletes honored as CoSIDA/ESPN The Magazine Academic All-Americans than any other conference. The league has had 102 student-athletes named CoSIDA/ESPN The Magazine Academic All-Americans, including 46 named to the first-team.​

• The SEC had two student-athletes named by the National Football Foundation as National Scholar-Athletes - LSU center Rudy Niswanger and Alabama linebacker DeMeco Ryans. During the last four years, the SEC has had 10 student-athletes honored, the most of any conference. LSU’s Rudy Niswanger won the Vincent dePaul Draddy Award given by the National Football Foundation in 2005 as the nation’s top football scholar-athlete. Niswanger became the sixth SEC student-athlete to claim the “Academic​
Heisman” since the award was established in 1990.

(I believe all that's from 2006).

Shaye