Come on, guys, have some BALLS!

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
I want you to tell me what you think is the GREATEST METAL ALBUM OF ALL TIME! And none of this, "geez, I can't pick just one" bullshit! Grow a pair of freakin' balls and put them right there on the table!!! Just pick one, already. What is the greatest metal album of all time????? Don't be so afraid of commitment, dammit. Go for it! It ain't like you're gonna miss a prize if you don't put the right one!!! Let's hear your picks!!!!!

Mine is METALLICA - MASTER OF PUPPETS. Why? Because I think on this album metallica took all the things that had been done before them and blazed ahead to produce an album that nobody had heard in the metal world before. Simple as that.

Am I wrong? Could be. But see how easy that was???

NOW YOU TELL ME YOUR PICK, DAMMIT!!!!
love ya,
mean it,
Ted

Have some balls, I like that. Just one record? That is a hard one. I like Master myself.
Metal record? I would have go with Megadeth's Rust in Peace. I can't tell you how many copies of that I went through, just as many as Master. That was the record back in the day. It was modern speed metal at it's best! There are many more, but that the one that made me go "wow!" You can't beat Holy Wars...

Master of Puppets - It set the fucking bar about 10 feet higher than it had even been before, and it influenced the sound of so many musicians and bands from that point on. Look not only at the album itself - but WHEN it was released as well. 1986 was a long time ago...and it changed the face of Metal forever. It may not seem like such a big deal now because so many of the newer generation are carrying the torch, but yeah - for me it's Master of Puppets.

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Unparalleled. Unmatched.

This record has it all: blazing machine-gun fast burners (Neon Knights, Wishing Well); epic doom metal masterpieces (Children of the Sea; the title track); introspective, classic metal attacks (Lonely is the Word, Die Young) and balls-out rock (Lady Evil)!

The production, coutesy of famed Martin Birch, is stellar, and leaves no room for improvement. Iommi's riffs are dark as f*ck, Geezer's lines are, as always, more interesting that anyone else's, Bill lays down the thunder and Dio is, well god!

But overall, there's an erie, dark ultra-gothic atmosphere that no other record has ever duplicated (well, My Dying Bride's 'Turn Loose the Swans' is close)!

Many say that the NWOBHM is all about Maiden-Saxon-Leppard, etc., but, IMO, this record dwarfs anything from that era, anything recorded prior to it, and anything recorded since. :headbang: :worship:

SoundMaster said:
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Unparalleled. Unmatched.

This record has it all: blazing machine-gun fast burners (Neon Knights, Wishing Well); epic doom metal masterpieces (Children of the Sea; the title track); introspective, classic metal attacks (Lonely is the Word, Die Young) and balls-out rock (Lady Evil)!

The production, coutesy of famed Martin Birch, is stellar, and leaves no room for improvement. Iommi's riffs are dark as f*ck, Geezer's lines are, as always, more interesting that anyone else's, Bill lays down the thunder and Dio is, well god!

But overall, there's an erie, dark ultra-gothic atmosphere that no other record has ever duplicated (well, My Dying Bride's 'Turn Loose the Swans' is close)!

Many say that the NWOBHM is all about Maiden-Saxon-Leppard, etc., but, IMO, this record dwarfs anything from that era, anything recorded prior to it, and anything recorded since. :headbang: :worship:

Very interesting take on things, and VERY well said. Martin Birch of Iron Maiden production fame is a very talented dude. He's done some great things behind the console...

I think your opinion carries a lot of weight, especially when expressed that clearly. And since Sabbath was such a HUGE influence on Metallica (Hetfield) - I have to give it that much more weight, since Master of Puppets was my choice.

JB

I just checked, and I do have balls. But I am having a helluva time just picking one album. I go through my checklist: Stained Class, Heaven and Hell, Kill 'em All, Diary of a Madman, Streets, all are worthy of selection for best metal album ever.

Ultimately, I came up with barely a sac, because I couldn't decide. So, I rolled my five-sided dice and let "chance" decide for me. The die said Ozzy - Diary of a Madman was #1 and I can't argue with that...the chops and solos that Randy Rhoads laid down on that album are out of this world.

priest.jpg

Judas Priest - British Steel. I wish I was articulate enough to explain how great this album is. It's a rare gift to be able to come up with songs that are powerful and yet still catchy but this album managed it.
I honestly believe that this album showed the way forward for metal for the next decade.

Big D said:
Judas Priest - British Steel. I wish I was articulate enough to explain how great this album is. It's a rare gift to be able to come up with songs that are powerful and yet still catchy but this album managed it.
I honestly believe that this album showed the way forward for metal for the next decade.
A great, record indeed.
'Tis the reason why, I feel, 1980 is metal's best ever year:

Sab's "Heaven and Hell"
Ozzy's "Blizzard"
Scorp's "Animal Magnetism"
Maiden's debut
Priest "British Steel"
Saxon "Wheels" AND "Strong Arm"
Ac/Dc's "Back in Black"
Motorhead's "Ace of Spades"
Hawke - any others?

each of these is an absolute classic!

As for "Master of Puppets", it may not be my fav record, but it's probably the most important metal record recorded. It put thrash/speed on the map and into the big leagues. Prior to "Master", thrash was a red-headed step child, bowing before established heavyweights Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Ozzy, etc. With this record, thrash achieved instant credibility and the attention of, dare I say it, the mainstream. Perhaps not mainstream in the true sense, but clearly the 'mainstream metal' group got the picture.

"Master" preceeded thrash classics "Reign in Blood", "Peace Sells", "Among the Living" and "The Legacy".

Heck, we all like to diss Metallica, but god-damn they have one hell of a legacy!

SoundMaster said:
A great, record indeed.
'Tis the reason why, I feel, 1980 is metal's best ever year:

Sab's "Heaven and Hell"
Ozzy's "Blizzard"
Scorp's "Animal Magnetism"
Maiden's debut
Priest "British Steel"
Saxon "Wheels" AND "Strong Arm"
Ac/Dc's "Back in Black"
Motorhead's "Ace of Spades"
Hawke - any others?

each of these is an absolute classic!

As for "Master of Puppets", it may not be my fav record, but it's probably the most important metal record recorded. It put thrash/speed on the map and into the big leagues. Prior to "Master", thrash was a red-headed step child, bowing before established heavyweights Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Ozzy, etc. With this record, thrash achieved instant credibility and the attention of, dare I say it, the mainstream. Perhaps not mainstream in the true sense, but clearly the 'mainstream metal' group got the picture.

"Master" preceeded thrash classics "Reign in Blood", "Peace Sells", "Among the Living" and "The Legacy".

Heck, we all like to diss Metallica, but god-damn they have one hell of a legacy!

Once again - VERY well said. I couldn't have made the point better myself - regardless of how much I dislike Metallica's latest endeavors (still play a great live show though)...Master of Puppets was EPIC as far as putting Thrash on the map and influencing hundreds of future musicians and bands to follow in their footsteps and take it to a new level.
JB

I would have to say Metallica's Ride the Lightning ... that album had alot of power... to me it was alot heavier then Master... just listening to Fight Fire with Fire or Creeping Death gave me goosebumps back in the day lol ...