Come on people show your favorite 5 albums of Q1 - 2005

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
Yep! :p

I want to see your 5 favorite album of the first quarter of 2005. No re-releases and only albums that have been *officially* released.

To lead by example here are my favorite 10

01 Kamelot - The Black Halo
02 Kreator - Enemy Of God
03 Communic - Conspiracy In Mind
04 Sabaton - Primo Victoria
05 Space Odyssey - The Astral Episode
06 Beyond Twilight - Section X
07 Firewind - Forged By Fire
08 Cloudscape - Cloudscape
09 Masterplan - Aeronautics
10 Mors Principium Est - The Unborn

The Kamelot album is a classic! Its a historic release just like "Number of the beast", "Operation Mindcrime" and Master Of Puppets". Of course IMHO :tickled:

The Kreator album is the most balanced they ever released. Its one hell of an angry thrash album and driven by pure conviction.

I sometimes joke about not enough bands playing in Europe. I admit I do this because I like to tease those that are not as fortunate as we who live in Europe.

Let me state explicitly that we are blessed with the incredible luck that we can see our favorite bands month after month. For instance I have been lucky enough to see my number 1 and 2 in concert just a few months apart.

Communion is a new band but their album belies this fact. You need to spin a it a few times before its bites you but after that moment it will never let you go. An fantastic and multileveled album.

The next surprise after Communic was the album of Sabaton. Heavy like a ton of bricks and Metal songs to sing when you are in a energetic mood or just very drunk! Think Manowar in their best moments spiced with the drive of Motorhead. This album just fucking kicks ass!!

Space Odyssey's album "The Astral Episode" is a Neo-Classical classic! :p The complicated song structures make for an demanding 55 minutes, but it is worth every second! For those who love their music intricate and extremely well played this is a must!

Hmm let me name a few at the top of my head.
And in no particular order.
Cradle Of Filth-Midian
Dimmu Borgir-Death Cult Armageddon
Demiricous-demos 2003 and 2004 (my local boys just got signed to metal blade so look
out!)
Enochian Crescent-Telocvovim
The True Black Dawn-Blood For Satan
Children Of Bodom-Hatecrew Deathroll
Morbid Angel-Gateways To Annihilation
God Forbid-Gone Forever
Lord Belial-Angelgrinder

First Quarter 2005, bud!

Gah, what is the big deal about Mors Principium Est? They're one of the worst bands I've ever heard in my life...run of the mill finnish melodeath with a friggen movie soundtrack in the background to pass off as atmosphere...

anyway..

The new Candlemass
High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings
Priest - Angel
Spruce Bruce - Tyranny Of Souls
Kreator - Enemy Of God

my bad I thought it was 01 thru 05! Hahaha!
Lets see.
Immolation-Harnessing Ruin
The Haunted-rEVOLVEr
Estuary-To Exist And Endure
Arch Enemy-Dead Eyes See No Future EP
Soilwork-Stabbing The Drama

Jean-Pierre said:
Gah, what is the big deal about Mors Principium Est? They're one of the worst bands I've ever heard in my life...run of the mill finnish melodeath with a friggen movie soundtrack in the background to pass off as atmosphere...

You don't expect me to take your comment seriously, now do you? I like wtf I like. I am never going to defend or debate something as personal as my musical taste. I would consider that a stupid waste of time.

I tell people what records/band I like and why I like them and if someone wants to slag that, go ahead. I don't care. Have a field day. :tickled:

Officially:

1. Hammerfall – “Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken”
2. Judas Priest – “Angel Of Retribution”
3. Force Of Evil – “Black Empire”
4. Freedom Call – “The Circle Of Life”
5. Steve Vai - “Real Illusions: Reflections”

Unofficially:

1. Sabaton - "Primo Victoria"
  2. Masterplan - "Aeronautics"
  3. Astral Doors - "Evil Is Forever"
  4. Bruce Dickinson - "Tyrany Of Souls"
  5. Candlemass - "Candlemass"
  6. Sentenced - "The Funeral Album"
  7. Space Oddysey - "The Astral Episode"
  8. Lana Lane - "Lady Macbeth"
  9. Shaaman - "Reason"

1.) Judas Priest-Angel Of Retribution
2.) *reserved for Bruce Dickinson-Tyranny Of Souls*
3.) Kreator-Enemy Of God
4.) Kamelot-The Black Halo
5.) Overkill- ReliXIV

Hawk said:
You don't expect me to take your comment seriously, now do you? I like wtf I like. I am never going to defend or debate something as personal as my musical taste. I would consider that a stupid waste of time.

I tell people what records/band I like and why I like them and if someone wants to slag that, go ahead. I don't care. Have a field day. :tickled:

I'm not slagging the taste of any one individual, I'm just slagging the hype of MPE. Really, nothing special.

Hawk said:
01 Kamelot - The Black Halo
02 Kreator - Enemy Of God
03 Communic - Conspiracy In Mind
04 Sabaton - Primo Victoria
05 Space Odyssey - The Astral Episode
06 Beyond Twilight - Section X
07 Firewind - Forged By Fire
08 Cloudscape - Cloudscape
09 Masterplan - Aeronautics
10 Mors Principium Est - The Unborn

Well, would be very close to my list too. maybe in different order though. I would replace Sabaton (can't get into that album really, too cheesy for my taste) by the new Rob Rock and kick MPE out (slag,slag,slag, sorry , I'm pretty narrow-minded by growling vocals you know ;) )and replace that by Overkill....

Jean-Pierre said:
I'm not slagging the taste of any one individual, I'm just slagging the hype of MPE. Really, nothing special.

Lair.

Here you are attacking the hype:

Jean-Pierre said:
Gah, what is the big deal about Mors Principium Est?

And for the rest of the quote you are attacking the music.

Jean-Pierre said:
They're one of the worst bands I've ever heard in my life...run of the mill finnish melodeath with a friggen movie soundtrack in the background to pass off as atmosphere...

You are not "just slagging the hype of MPE.". You were also attacking their music. Insulting my choice and giving no *good* argued reason why you did not like them.

I have warned you once I will NOT warn you twice. Stop your negative attitude towards other peoples personal choice!

If you don't like a band Argue! Give reasons, don't make hit and run comments that are insulting. The next time I will delete your message and send your IP to Deron with a request to BAN you.

Case closed.

I don't know how you guys manage to keep on top of the new releases! :)
I think I'm always a year or two behind.

The only 2005 releases that I've got so far are JP and Hammerfall, which are both good but not great albums. I need to go pick up the Masterplan, Kamelot and Astral Doors cd. Looking forward to Bruce Dickinson, Russell Allen, Demons & Wizards, etc, etc.

I haven't seen the new Evergrey live album on anybody's top ten lists. Is it any good?

Not to argue with you Hawk but I think that gentleman was explaining to you why he
did not like that particular band. I really dont think anyone should be banned
unless their saying threatening, Racist, or Sexist comments. Sorry Sir but that's just
my opinion. We all have different tastes in music.

KMADD said:
Not to argue with you Hawk but I think that gentleman was explaining to you why he
did not like that particular band. I really dont think anyone should be banned
unless their saying threatening, Racist, or Sexist comments. Sorry Sir but that's just
my opinion. We all have different tastes in music.

We do all have different taste in music thats exactly why we should acknowledge that and act accordingly. What I mean by that is that we should abstain from hit and run comments. That is, saying this or that band sucks! Without explaining in a reasonable tone *why* we think that particular band sucks as bad a we think it does.

This has been a general rule here on UMOS as long as I am here and I fully intend to enforce it. This is not the first time Jean-Pierre has a conflict because of his insulting and rude comments on bands that other people happen to like. It is NOT about his disliking MPE. Its about the way he expresses his dislikes to other and showing not even a semblance of respect for the personal choices of other people.

This forum is NOT for flaming and disrespecting other peoples music. Here on UMOS we demand an explanation why you don't like a certain band in a reasoned and respectful manner. If thats too much too ask for anyone visiting this forum they can leave and go to the General Music Discussion
Forum and flame to their hearts content.

KMADD said:
We all have different tastes in music.

Exactly. That's the whole point, so let's check some isolated points:

• And as much as bashing Metallica feels funny, the point is that in the end there are many Metallica fans who wants to be respected in their taste. This analogy goes for any bands or music in here.
  • Swine was complaining not so long ago of narrowness in metalheads by not liking new bands, and he was right. He also missed the point that many of us just don't like the same stuff he likes (and viceversa).
  • I have my huge quota of disliking, I can made a long thread based solely on those bands/artist I dislike. But what will I acomplish with that?
  • A real fan has to be intelligently enough to acept that even the band he likes the most can slip and make a bad album/song any given day.
So when you examine all those facts you have to reach a point in where after you read a post you have to:

a) disagree intelligently making your point based on facts/figures that can support you viewpoint e.g: sorry but "Master Of Puppets" is a much more important album to the musical industry than "Rust In Piece" because it sold more copies worldwide.

b) disagree simply but nicely e.g: I know it just me but I can't stand King Diamond vocals, I'm not arguing about his quality just that doesn't move me.

c) refrain to answer. Just read and let it go.

d) don't even read it!

What you should not do ever is to resolve to flaming, hit and run commentaries or simplistic ramapithecus behavior e.g: Judas Priest suck and their singer is gay. Tr00 kult black metal owns your ass. Poison is for pussies go and hear some Anal Cunt. How can you like Dream Theater is just wankery crap?

Like Hawk said, for that kind of behavior you can go to General Music or to many other forums in the net. But here in UMOS we are proud to keep the engine running smoothly and gentle due to mutual acceptance and respect.

If you manage to read until here and don't feel like flaming me, then I made a point, if not don't even bother I use the Ignore list a lot :D

P.S. I used your post as a start kmadd, this is not personally related to you :wave:

Wyvern said:
Exactly. That's the whole point, so let's check some isolated points:

• And as much as bashing Metallica feels funny, the point is that in the end there are many Metallica fans who wants to be respected in their taste. This analogy goes for any bands or music in here.
  • Swine was complaining not so long ago of narrowness in metalheads by not liking new bands, and he was right. He also missed the point that many of us just don't like the same stuff he likes (and viceversa).
  • I have my huge quota of disliking, I can made a long thread based solely on those bands/artist I dislike. But what will I acomplish with that?
  • A real fan has to be intelligently enough to acept that even the band he likes the most can slip and make a bad album/song any given day.

:worship: Thank you so much for exactly understanding what is important in what I said. You RULE!

I think a sticky is needed!

sixxswine said:
I have a hard time cutting the list down to just 5 so I'll pass on this one...

LOL :tickled: Buddy, you can list as many releases as you like. I listed ten albums.

Weee! I thought the post didn't pass because I had an error from the server.

@ Sixxi: don't play hardball you old swine, just put whatever your heart feels like it :D

Wyvern said:
Lana Lane - "Lady Macbeth"
Did you get to hear all of this Wyvern? Man, I heard 1 minute song samples of the entire album and I was amazed at how good the songwriting was on this album. That's always been my complaint about Lana Lane, she wrote really good four-star songs consistently, but seldom did she unleash a five-star song. Man, that Lady Macbeth albums sounds like it's loaded with great music. This album is on my watch list...just waiting for SOMEONE here in the States to get it in so I can order it.

As for my 5 best of Q1 of '05? Eh, this shows just how damn finicky I am about the music I purchase. I only have three '05 albums so far:

Judas Priest: Angel of Retribution
Astral Doors: Evil is Forever
Kamelot: The Black Halo