Comic Book Dorks Unite!

I picked up some of these as of late.....

The Boys - Vol 1 -7 - anyone who thinks comica are for kids needs to read this. There is so much sex and gore in these books it is nuts. It is Garth Ennis so you are going to get over the top stuff non stop. Story is about this group he keep tabs and beat down super heroes when they get out of hand. In this universe most "supers" are drug addicts and sex addicts and perverts. it is a great book.

Sweet Tooth - Vol 1 and 2 - has a Y:The Last Man vibe. A disease killed off most of the people on earth and all the new kids born after have animalistic features. The story is about a boy who never knew much outside this small house in the forest and it is about him meeting up with a grillzed old guy and thier journey.

I picked up some of these as of late.....

The Boys - Vol 1 -7 - anyone who thinks comica are for kids needs to read this. There is so much sex and gore in these books it is nuts. It is Garth Ennis so you are going to get over the top stuff non stop. Story is about this group he keep tabs and beat down super heroes when they get out of hand. In this universe most "supers" are drug addicts and sex addicts and perverts. it is a great book.

Sweet Tooth - Vol 1 and 2 - has a Y:The Last Man vibe. A disease killed off most of the people on earth and all the new kids born after have animalistic features. The story is about a boy who never knew much outside this small house in the forest and it is about him meeting up with a grillzed old guy and thier journey.

The Boys is insane. I just finished reading 6 and 7 this week. I guess I'm a sentimental sap, but amidst all the violence and depravity I really want Hughie and Annie to work things out. Sniff. Those crazy kids have been through so much :cry:

Last series I read, if this tells you how long it's been, was "Preacher." Any recommendations based on liking that one?

Y: The Last Man
The Boys
Crossed

Crossed is by the same guy as Preacher and The Boys. Crossed takes jabs at the post apocalyptic "zombie" world. Basically an outbreak of madness takes over the world and people just go nuts and are rabid but can think and talk. Basically it seems they let go from all of thier inhibitions and run rampat looking for sex and violence to the extreme. You follow a group of survivors looking for saftey. The cool part is that each issue is a different part in thier journey so some issues are missing people so you know something has happened but not sure what. Super over the top gore and sex but a well written story.

FYI to Chicago folks: A comic book store has opened up in the Chicago Ridge Mall recently. I'm not sure how recently, since I only saw it today, but if you're on the south side, there's yet another location to get your comics.

Finished both of these this weekend. Both series endings were not what I was expecting/hoping for, but I am glad they reached a conculsion while the creators were still excited about them instead of growing stale. Now I need a couple of new titles to follow.

Ex Machina HC vol. 5
51TjS7%2Bj9HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Y: The Last Man HC vol. 5
51aK6Dio8BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anyone see Thor, this weekend? I thought it was very good! I'm still not a fan of Samuel L's Nick Fury, but the actual depictions of Thor, Odin, and the rest, I thought were very true to their characters. The side characters were good too, but personally I think that Natalie Portman's friend in the movie (her name escapes me) kinda stole the show.. XD She was adorable.

And of course, Sif was a bad-ass.

Anyone see Thor, this weekend? I thought it was very good! I'm still not a fan of Samuel L's Nick Fury, but the actual depictions of Thor, Odin, and the rest, I thought were very true to their characters. The side characters were good too, but personally I think that Natalie Portman's friend in the movie (her name escapes me) kinda stole the show.. XD She was adorable.

And of course, Sif was a bad-ass.

we must have seen different movies. Natalie Portmans freind ruined the film. There was no need for that character and the lame one liners she kept on saying. This film should have been made after the Avengers film. They should have kept Thor like how he was in the Ultimates and keep it a mystery until the end of the Avengers film to reveal that he actually is a Norse God. The film was nothing but set up. As a whole it was very forgettable and passable. The frost giant stuff was shot way to dark and the Earth stuff kept dragging. This was nothing like the comic which sucks since Marvel was behind the movie. Why would you make your movie nothing like the comic book????

Why would you make your movie nothing like the comic book????

Because comic books != movies?

Most reviews seem to agree that Kat Denning's character was unnecessary, but that doesn't seem to hurt the enjoyment of the movie by many. Also, origin stories are almost required for any film, which may annoy the fan, but the casual viewer would appriciate.

that is going to be a train wreck

Only if Fox screws it up. Personally, I have a lot of faith in Vaughn, who has yet to make a movie that I haven't enjoyed.

Because comic books != movies?

Most reviews seem to agree that Kat Denning's character was unnecessary, but that doesn't seem to hurt the enjoyment of the movie by many. Also, origin stories are almost required for any film, which may annoy the fan, but the casual viewer would appriciate.

Only if Fox screws it up. Personally, I have a lot of faith in Vaughn, who has yet to make a movie that I haven't enjoyed.

there are ways around origin stories....you do it quickly in the credits at the begining. You dont need a whole movie to do it.

Vaugh did ok on Kick Ass but messed up the last 15 minutes so badly that I cant watch it again.

I'm a little upset that they're bribing me with Banshee to get me to see this gaddamn X-Men movie. -_- I hate what they've done, but... Banshee.... I love him so much...!! Even THIS one!

Last edited by a moderator:
there are ways around origin stories....you do it quickly in the credits at the begining. You dont need a whole movie to do it.

For us? Sure. For the average joe who likely has no clue? That probably isn't enough. BTW, both of my coworkers (who know nothing about the comic books) enjoyed the movie.

Vaugh did ok on Kick Ass but messed up the last 15 minutes so badly that I cant watch it again.

Interested to hear what you thought was "messed up" about it. You can PM me if you think it is too spoilerific. Just as a note, I never read the comic book, so my enjoyment was independent of any adaptation issue.

I'm a little upset that they're bribing me with Banshee to get me to see this gaddamn X-Men movie. -_- I hate what they've done, but... Banshee.... I love him so much...!! Even THIS one!

Again, I usually accept that movies are going to be different than the source material (and sometimes better because of it.) Given how screwed up X-Men continuity is, I'm not shocked that they drop back and punt.