Comic Book Dorks Unite!

I kinda wish they did a re-boot of the X-Men franchise, myself. They could have done this whole "First Class" thing with the REAL first class of X-Men, and more of the characters would be recognizable to people who aren't really into the X-Men. Like.. Cyclops! And Jean Grey! And Angel!

xmen1.jpg

I agree...this is what they should have done. They have been trying so hard to get that Magneto film off the ground for years and I think this is the really only reason for the First Class film. I heard a few spoilers for the movie that are really going to make the comic fans nuts.

See, I think it would be cool if they did a spin-off of the X-Men movies for Magneto, and have it lead into a story about Wanda and Pietro. That way when the Avengers comes along, they'd be around for it!

I kinda wish they did a re-boot of the X-Men franchise, myself. They could have done this whole "First Class" thing with the REAL first class of X-Men, and more of the characters would be recognizable to people who aren't really into the X-Men. Like.. Cyclops! And Jean Grey! And Angel!

Which would really confuse people, since all of those characters were introduced in the first three films. People would wonder what they were doing running around in the 60s. As I said, some things that you can kinda buy in comic books doesn't work in movies.

Personally, I'm not a fan of reboots when the previous movies are still pretty fresh. (Spider-man, I'm looking at you.) In a way, this is doing a reboot without really doing a reboot. New cast, but exists in the same world. Hopefully, it comes off better than Superman Returns.

Irredeamable is great.....you need to get the sister book Inncoruptable....it is in the same universe....basically it is the worst villian becoming a hero because of....well you have to read it.

Also I highly recommend INCOGNITO. Ed Brubaker's Marvel Imprint book...it is about a villian who is basically in the witness relocation program. Very interesting story.

Irredeamable is great.....you need to get the sister book Inncoruptable....it is in the same universe....basically it is the worst villian becoming a hero because of....well you have to read it.

Also I highly recommend INCOGNITO. Ed Brubaker's Marvel Imprint book...it is about a villian who is basically in the witness relocation program. Very interesting story.

I have the first Incorruptible trade, and plan to go further at some point. I'm hit or miss on Brubaker's stuff.

I read the new Astro City collection, and while it was excellent (as usual), I kept wondering when Samaritan was going to start massacring civilians and when the Honor Guard was going to start sodomizing each other. Clearly Irredeemable and The Boys have corrupted me.

Okay, so the DC universe is rebooting everything apparently.. anyone know what that means, exactly?? Because I know they're bringing back Justice League International, which I'm fine with, because hey, Booster Gold.. but what's gonna happen with DC continuity??

Sounds like they are ending all current storylines, and having Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, etc all .... have their beginnings in modern day. Sounds a bit like what happened when they 'rebooted' Spiderman around 1999 or 2000, and that went on to be very successful for Marvel.

It is a huge mistake.....remember Heroes Reborn for Marvel. Even though it wasnt current time reboot, it was a huge mistake that is still felt today.

I think they are really grasping at reaching a new audience. The bad part is that both companies forget. You dont need gimmicks. You just need to cut back on huge crossovers and stick to telling good stories and that is what will bring people there. I do think thier same day digital copy thing is smart. But the average person still isnt going to pay to read a comic online. How many people do you know who saw Thor ran to a comic store to get a Thor comic. Even if they did....would they even know which one to get?

Marvel and DC need to get back to telling good stories again. This type of stuff is what killed it for me in the 90's. No need to the every 6 month reboots or limited covers or huge cross overs. Give the writers the time to tell good stories and word of mouth will carry the book. Perfect example of a book being killed by crossovers....the Heroes for Hire book that spun out of Civil War. First 5 to 6 issues was Civil War stuff....then it actually got to be its own book for a few issues then right into World War Hulk. It never once got to be what the book was supposed to be and nothing else but a book over saturated with cross overs. it had potential to be good but every other issue it was being torn in different directions due to bigger stuff.

I see this DC reboot being nothing else than a last ditch attempt at looking for media coverage. Once it fades away it will revert back to where it was.

It is a huge mistake.....remember Heroes Reborn for Marvel. Even though it wasnt current time reboot, it was a huge mistake that is still felt today.

I think they are really grasping at reaching a new audience. The bad part is that both companies forget. You dont need gimmicks. You just need to cut back on huge crossovers and stick to telling good stories and that is what will bring people there. I do think thier same day digital copy thing is smart. But the average person still isnt going to pay to read a comic online. How many people do you know who saw Thor ran to a comic store to get a Thor comic. Even if they did....would they even know which one to get?

Marvel and DC need to get back to telling good stories again. This type of stuff is what killed it for me in the 90's. No need to the every 6 month reboots or limited covers or huge cross overs. Give the writers the time to tell good stories and word of mouth will carry the book. Perfect example of a book being killed by crossovers....the Heroes for Hire book that spun out of Civil War. First 5 to 6 issues was Civil War stuff....then it actually got to be its own book for a few issues then right into World War Hulk. It never once got to be what the book was supposed to be and nothing else but a book over saturated with cross overs. it had potential to be good but every other issue it was being torn in different directions due to bigger stuff.

I see this DC reboot being nothing else than a last ditch attempt at looking for media coverage. Once it fades away it will revert back to where it was.

I think this could be good. I personally wouldn't mind reading some DC titles, but the massive continuity can be overwhelming. You mention Marvel's failure with Heroes Reborn, but they had a major success with their Ultimate Universe. If this is something along those lines, I'll be happy.

((Cool thread - just found this one :) ))

Make mine Marvel...

I was always partial to Iron Man, Avengers, Thor and Spiderman - loved the original Tony Stark alcoholism run, and the run of Venom and Carnage Spiderman issues. I started collecting in the 80's - big into the Macfarlane art style of Spiderman 300-326 and also really liked Larsen's run on the book. Marc Spector's Moon Knight was awesome as well.

I saw Metal Madman mention Image comics - that to me was the sweet spot for artwork in comics - loved WildCats, Tomb Raider, the Magdalena. That was a great time because Image came out to compete with Marvel and DC, and then the Ultraverse comics came out with bold colors (Prime, Solitaire, Huntress, etc). I bought into all the early Image and Ultraverse titles.

I am not fond of the art style today. I read some of the Civil War story run, but not much more...