Comics!

I have only really read Essex County by Lemire which I thought was quite good, but I'm no fan of his art. Abit too sketchy for my tastes. I like my art quite detailed and clear. Maybe I should give Sweet Tooth a chance, I've seen it praised alot but it doesn't really intrigue me.

Speaking of which, who are your fav artists? This has probably come up before but oh well.

IMO Jean Giraud/Moebius is the obv #1. Other contenders include Enki Bilal, Jaime Hernandez and Masamune Shirow.

Reactions: CiG
Some of my favourite graphic novel artists:

Barry Windsor-Smith
Masamune Shirow
Dave Gibbons
Katsuhiro Otomo
Akira Toriyama
Frank Miller
Tim Sale
Mike Mignola
Mœbius
Eiichirō Oda
Ronnie del Carmen
Paul Mendoza
Mokona
Kyle Baker
James O'Barr

Edit: also, Jim Starlin and Kentaro Miura

Last edited:
Nice list, cant believe i forgot about Tim Sale. Definitely belongs up there. He is a top 2 Batman artist for me. The Long Halloween is one of my all time favorites.

I'm kind of surprised that not a single one form my list made yours. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but some of those guys are widely considered to be among best the best of all time

edit: i missed Frank Miller there, ok i'll give you a pass ;)

I'm kind of surprised that not a single one form my list made yours. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but some of those guys are widely considered to be among best the best of all time

Frank Miller is on mine too. I do know Todd McFarlane and Jack Kirby but I don't think I own anything they worked on, like I said I'm a comic n00b.

Actually I used to own some Spawn comic books growing up and I have a giant Creech figurine.

Edit: oh and I like Phil Winslade from what I've seen. I only have Wonder Woman: Amazonia but his style is amazing.

I'm unfamiliar with a lot of those names. Are most of them manga artists? I havent read any manga, and tbh have no desire to. Never been impressed with japanese anime and im under the impression that its basically the same shit.

I don't want to spoil too much but chapter one sets up the basic premise of the series so I'm not potentially ruining anything for you by pasting this:

On December 6, 1982, an apparent nuclear explosion destroys Tokyo and starts World War III. By 2019, a new city called Neo-Tokyo has been built on an artificial island in Tokyo Bay. Although Neo-Tokyo is set to host the XXXII Olympic Games, the city is gripped by anti-government terrorism and gang violence. While riding in the ruins of old Tokyo, Tetsuo Shima, a member of the bōsōzoku gang led by Shōtarō Kaneda, is injured when his bike explodes after Takashi — a child Esper with wizened features — blocks his path. This incident awakens psychic powers in Tetsuo, attracting the attention of a secret government project directed by JSDF Colonel Shikishima. These increasing powers unhinge Tetsuo's mind, exacerbating his inferiority complex about Kaneda and leading him to assume leadership of the rival Clown gang.

Meanwhile, Kaneda becomes involved with Kei, a member of the terrorist organization which stages attacks against the government. The terrorists, led by Ryu and opposition parliament leader Nezu, get wind of the Colonel's project and a mysterious figure connected with it known as "Akira". They hope to use this leaked information, and try to restrict Kaneda's movements after he becomes too involved with their activities. However, when Tetsuo and the Clowns begin a violent citywide turf war, Kaneda instigates a counter-attack that unites all of Neo-Tokyo's biker gangs against Tetsuo. The Clowns are easily defeated, but Tetsuo is nearly invincible because of his powers. Tetsuo kills Yamagata, a member of his former gang, and astonishingly survives after being shot by Kaneda. The Colonel arrives with the powerful drugs needed to suppress Tetsuo's violent headaches, extending Tetsuo an offer to join the project.

Essentially it's a rather adult post-apocalyptic political/criminal youth science fiction thriller. :D

Some of my favourite graphic novel artists:

Barry Windsor-Smith
Masamune Shirow
Dave Gibbons
Katsuhiro Otomo
Akira Toriyama
Frank Miller
Tim Sale
Mike Mignola
Mœbius
Eiichirō Oda
Ronnie del Carmen