Comics!

Y: The Last Man is ok, it starts out good but turns quite sour after a while.
If you like post apocalyptic stuff I think Wasteland by Johnston is one of the best (and much better than Y: The Last Man). Quite epic and abit more "fantasy", "mythological" or atleast detached from the real world. Kind of the way that Dune is still a scifi book.

Reactions: CiG
Y: The Last Man is ok
Yeah, pretty much this. Just about everyone else loves it though and its won a shitload of awards.

Dont know how cinematic Wasteland really is, i tried reading the first book a long time ago and wasnt impressed at all.

A lot of those Vertigo books should be right up your alley @CASSETTEISGOD

100 Bullets and Scalped are about as close to movie type of comics as you can get. Also Brubakers Criminal is fuckin' top notch.

edit: You've read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, right? Oh and Jeff Lemires Sweet Tooth might just be the best post-apocalyptic comic book out there.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess I recommended Wasteland more for it being a better post apocalyptic comic than Y: The Last Man. But I guess they aren't really similar so it might be a weird rec. :p

By the way @CASSETTEISGOD (and @Vegard Pompey but I don't think you read comics) that are a Twin Peaks fan. You should REALLY give Strangehaven a try, which I probably recommended a few times in this thread. It's a british indie comic about a small town in rural Britain were strange stuff happens. It's very much like Twin Peaks in the sense that all the characters are, well real characters, quirky, weird and sometimes VERY creepy. Secret cults, indian mythology, ghosts, aliens, romance, family fueds ensured. :p

strangehaven.jpg
SH-3-page-28.jpg
strangehaven11.gif

(and @Vegard Pompey but I don't think you read comics)

Generally not, unless it's manga :p I do wonder if there are any good long-running western comics with strong, continuous stories like the ones you often find in manga. The only thing I know of that fits the bill is The Walking Dead (which I like quite a lot).

As for this comic you are highlighting; I usually very vary of things that draw influence from Lynch and Twin Peaks in particular, it has such an inimitable style and a lot of things that wear TP-influences on their sleeves often feel very artificial and cringy to me. Those two pages you show do look promising though.

...Why would a story taking place in rural Britain involve Indian mythology though?

The only thing I know of that fits the bill is The Walking Dead

That's funny, considering most of the people who actually read comics don't even consider TWD to be that good .... not in the last 7-8 years, that's for sure. If you think it's the "only good long-running western comic" than you sure in the hell have not read enough comic books.

edited out some assholeness.

Last edited:
As for this comic you are highlighting; I usually very vary of things that draw influence from Lynch and Twin Peaks in particular, it has such an inimitable style and a lot of things that wear TP-influences on their sleeves often feel very artificial and cringy to me. Those two pages you show do look promising though.
Yeah I get what you mean, but this works extremely well imo. It isn't THAT lynchian either I guess, it's more the quirky small town feeling of the first two Twin Peaks seasons (mixed with the Midsomer Murder britishness) rather than the all in wtf-ness of the third. The creator actually cited The Prisoner as it's biggest influence, not TP, but well, he's watched some of it too, that's for sure.
...Why would a story taking place in rural Britain involve Indian mythology though?
That's for you to find out. ;)

Lynch didn't invent the whole nice small town but not-so-nice behind closed doors thing anyway. The Wicker Man predates Lynch's first film by 4 years and it's based on an even older book.

Though he definitely helped to popularize and perfect it I suppose.

Yeah and the earlier mentioned The Prisoner is older than The Wicker Man (the movie atleast). I think Strangehaven is mostly rooted in british small town drama mixed with some subtile supernatural weirdness (in the vein of TP).

The Unwritten is by far the best new age Vertigo

I've have first 12 or so issues of The Unwritten and i remmber it being one of my fav book att. Need to jump back in.

Jeff Lemires work is pretty awesome too, definitely one of the best writers today...

untitled-1-1310012438.jpg

underwaterwelder_lg.jpg

61lCumaVAOL._SX359_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg