Comments on some recent stuff . . .

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Lacuna Coil
Anybody heard anything off this new release? I've just heard the one sample, and it sounds like the band is trying HARD to sound like Korn. That bass player should be sued for the sound he's using. Luckily Scabbie's vocals help change the sound to something a little more listenable. Does anybody know if the male singer opens his stupid-ass mouth on this one? If he doesn't, I might get this for my wife. She likes to run to this stuff, but that fuckin' male singer ruins everything.

The Gathering
No doubt in my mind this will absolutely crush the new Lacuna Coil.

Witchery
Is the entire album as cool as the sample at CM? This seems way better than the latest The Haunted.

Sepultura
This is getting generally GREAT reviews everywhere. UM's review might be a little too positive, but you get the point. People need to check this album out . . . just pretend its a new band.

Aborym
Another album that has been getting AWESOME reviews. The review at either Metal Reviews or Digitalmetal said this was the best black metal album of the last 10 years. Not quite, but still DEFINITELY worth your attention. My review at UM is more realistic. Haven't seen one bad review yet, though.

Unearthly Trance
Their Relapse debut is coming. I hope its more like their first one. That second album kind of disappointed. Does anybody know anything about the new one?

Keep of Kalessin
Can't wait . . . but I've already said that in another thread. I'm expecting GREAT things here. Their website is a total lesson in how a band should market themselves (don't go there if you think a band should make art and not money).

Nate The Great said:
Lacuna Coil
Anybody heard anything off this new release? I've just heard the one sample, and it sounds like the band is trying HARD to sound like Korn. That bass player should be sued for the sound he's using. Luckily Scabbie's vocals help change the sound to something a little more listenable. Does anybody know if the male singer opens his stupid-ass mouth on this one? If he doesn't, I might get this for my wife. She likes to run to this stuff, but that fuckin' male singer ruins everything.

The Gathering
No doubt in my mind this will absolutely crush the new Lacuna Coil.

Witchery
Is the entire album as cool as the sample at CM? This seems way better than the latest The Haunted.

Sepultura
This is getting generally GREAT reviews everywhere. UM's review might be a little too positive, but you get the point. People need to check this album out . . . just pretend its a new band.

Aborym
Another album that has been getting AWESOME reviews. The review at either Metal Reviews or Digitalmetal said this was the best black metal album of the last 10 years. Not quite, but still DEFINITELY worth your attention. My review at UM is more realistic. Haven't seen one bad review yet, though.

Unearthly Trance
Their Relapse debut is coming. I hope its more like their first one. That second album kind of disappointed. Does anybody know anything about the new one?

Keep of Kalessin
Can't wait . . . but I've already said that in another thread. I'm expecting GREAT things here. Their website is a total lesson in how a band should market themselves (don't go there if you think a band should make art and not money).

just on a few you mentioned here:

I absolutely agree about Lacuna Coil.... I hate that male singer most of the time,
though, he does add soemthing to the songs sometimes, he screams
more than he sings... and I love Christina's vocals.. she makes the band IMO, and not only because she is flat out gorgeous.

The Gathering: meh, I'm so over them... I used to really like them
but their last releases made me just say "meh" so everything they've done...
maybe I need to give it another chance... last time I really checked them
out was 2 years ago or more....

Witchery: OWNS!! nuff said.

Nate, care to deepen a little on the The Gathering album? The official mp3 was total shit but apparently it is getting great reviews and I'd like to know what share your usual label complacency occupies in the feedback.

Ellestin said:
Nate, care to deepen a little on the The Gathering album? The official mp3 was total shit but apparently it is getting great reviews and I'd like to know what share your usual label complacency occupies in the feedback.

I haven't even heard it. But I can't imagine The Gathering releasing something sub-par. I'm a huge fan, though.

The guy singer in Lacuna Coil is the weakest link. He adds nothing -- I saw them sing "Heaven's Alive" once UNPLUGGED and he basically just sang the same lines as Scabbi. That is, he didn't even attempt to harmonize. Just sounded like a fucken karaoke session.

I've never really followed The Gathering, but the new one sounds a bit gothic if you ask me.

Erm, why wouldn't Witchery be better than The Haunted?

Dill's review for the new Sepultura suggests it's their best since Morbid Visions. That implies the new one is better than Beneath the Remains. Dill's medication must have expired. :loco:

I have no problem with Dill's review at all. I don't agree with him but I prefer Sepultura when they were heavy thrash (BtR) and I'm sure Dill prefers their latter [core biased] stuff.

The problem with metal reviews in general is that:

(a) they are too fucking predictable
(b) the responses are even more predictable

Reviews are more interesting with sweeping statements. :tickled:

re: the Sep ... people are saying that it is their best since Roots, which is really not saying much.
heard it and I cannot think of a track that stood out.

the new Aborym however has been getting repeated listens.

havent heard any new stuff really. i think the only 2006 albums i have are aeternus, hellveto and devin townsend

do i have a single 2006 release? have I even heard any other than Katatonia which leaked fucking months ago? wtf

someone needs to get me up to date on shit that actually matters, no more of this Lacuna Coil nonsense!

When I saw LC live, I felt Andreas' vocals definitely gave the band more intensity. I have no issue with his vocals. That said, I caught the new video and almst laughed. He looks like he's screaming his head off, but his vocals are so low in the mix, you can't even hear them.

I don't get the sense that their trying to be Korn. I think they're trying to figure out what formrula led them to "Heavens a Lie" and duplicate it, rather than just trying to write good songs.

Zod

LOL - my Sepultura review has been generating some lulz for sure... tbh, I'm not that much of a fan of the later stuff - Roots had some great moments, but I prefer the rawer material by far. It seems like they've gone back to sheer breakneck thrash for the most part on Dante XI, hence the review. But whatever, whether it's better than Roots or better than Beneath The Remains, it's still a fuckin' ace album and people should buy it.

Man I really want to hear that new The Gathering. I haven't read any reviews for it yet, I think I'll go get on that so I won't be able to control my salivating.

As for Drudkh, I have to say my excitement really went downhill after hearing this release wouldn't be the double album. :(

Oh, and has anybody heard the new Psycroptic? Thoughts?