Comparing metal guitar mics - SM7, SM57, i5, E906, MD421, PR20

HollowmanPL

May 29, 2008
I've picked up a few microphones and made this little shootout.
Sorry for mistakes and shitty playing.
Maybe this will help someone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this shootout. Nice to hear the differences between the mics. I must say, all sound pretty good, yet they are so different. The Heil sounds interesting.

The mics i liked seemed to depend on the type of playing/song style, but one thing i noticed is that the 57 just sounded right on all of them. Maybe i'm just used to hearing what the 57 sounds like on a cab. When i experiment with other mics i almost always end up with at least 57 in there. I'll combine it with a 421, R121, SM7, sometimes even condensers, but i always end up having at least one 57 somewhere in there.

The i5 is hit or miss with me, sometimes i'll dig it and other times i'll hate it immediately when hearing the results. There's something that bothers me about the high end on that mic. I often think about selling it but it can be cool on snares so i keep it around.

Cool shootout btw, thanks for posting.

To be honest, they all sounded pretty damn good. The only one I thought sounded nastier than the others was the E906, the

906 for me except for clip 3.
I prefer the pr20 on that one.
The i5 has a piercing 4K fizz and the 421 sounds good but has a fizz a bit higher than the i5 and is a bit mid scooped.
I have both of those mics and find this too.
57 sounds good but the mids are more smeared than the 906.
SM7 sounds dark and boxy but would blend well with a bright mic.
My personal fave these days is the Beyer M201.
It would have been great to have heard that in the comparison.

Very cool shootout.

I noticed in the beginning and end you list the Sennheiser as an E609, but during all the shootouts you list it as a E906. Which is correct?

Frankly, I think all the tones are "useable," (I'm very used to working with, shaping and tweaking stuff, since I do way more mixing than recording) but I definitely have preferences. It was interesting how the differences and preferences changed based on playing style. I also thinkt he order of the mics plays a big part in how we hear it. For example, in MOST of the clips, I found the i5 to be not great, and the 421 to sound awful. However, when I listen to the 421 more back to back with the SM57, my perception is totally different. Psychology is fun.

Anyway, very cool shootout, and the whole thing really helped me see just how dependent everything is. I would never pick a mic to purchase based on this shootout. Not only is this just this particular amp, with those particular speakers, but my perception of each mic's sound changed based on riff style, and the sequence of what I was hearing.

I noticed in the beginning and end you list the Sennheiser as an E609, but during all the shootouts you list it as a E906. Which is correct?

It's the 906.

I also thinkt he order of the mics plays a big part in how we hear it. For example, in MOST of the clips, I found the i5 to be not great, and the 421 to sound awful. However, when I listen to the 421 more back to back with the SM57, my perception is totally different. Psychology is fun.

I've noticed this on my own shootouts aswell. I always find when choosing mic's on my guitar amp I have to try and listen in every order possible to make sure I get a fair perspective on each mic.