Computer Based Music Creation.

Apr 23, 2006
Hi guys ,

Last week I have installed Cubase SX 3.0 program , so I have started learning production and stuff on computer( Also recording ). And I have to say it is really fun.

I wonder any other guys here using computer techonology when developing their pieces.

And I have say I need some serious Sound Banks , any advices?

Ps: Hope you don't misunderstand , I am not in to electronica , dance or any techno music. :D My influence is Steven Wilson I have to say. I really love the effects and stuff he uses. I am into pychedelic nowadays.

I use Riffworks from Sonoma Wire Works to write the songs and a Guitarport to record them.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/

I also use Audacity for some basic audio editing after I've made it with Riffworks. But this is all just basic stuff for recording/producing noobs like me, so I can't really help you with the Cubase stuff.

Yeah Cubase is the best Production and Music Develop. prog after Logic. I am quite new in this world. But I am tryin' to learn.

Thanks anyway.

So I take it you understand Cubase, but want samples for it or VST's to create sound with which you will make music. Hmmm I can't really recommend any since I mainly record instead of synth, but I would suggest checking out the crapload of stuff at musiciansfriend.com, and then possibly buying it somewhere cheaper :lol:

I use Fruity Loops 4 for my drum tracks. Then I export it to Pro Tracks Plus (came with my Digitech pedal). It does a good enough job for me. I would still much rather be able to jam with a band then have to click drum beats and then play over them :(

Benighted1 said:
hmmm coulda guessed I would get comments like that.. but yea too predictable guys, step it up a notch
why the hell did you say it in the first place if you knew what kind of a response you'd get? good thinking.

Yes I think I agree , I tried FL last year for drum production but the sounds were awful , they were so unreal. Or I couldn't manage it.

And Moonlapse I want to ask a question to you. Last week I copied Cubase SX from my friend. But nowadays I am hearing that ProTools is the best after the Logic Pro. I wish I could use Logic but I don't have a Mac. So should I use ProTools? Or Logic Express in my Pc? Cause the drums and the synth. is the main reason why I am interesed in these kinda programs.

By the way Guys I think you should Groove Agent for drums. Its the best by far I have ever tried. Seriously give it a change.

An Absent Friend said:
Last week I copied Cubase SX from my friend. But nowadays I am hearing that ProTools is the best after the Logic Pro. I wish I could use Logic but I don't have a Mac. So should I use ProTools? Or Logic Express in my Pc? Cause the drums and the synth. is the main reason why I am interesed in these kinda programs.

Well there really is no best, there's only a best for you. Some people will argue that ProTools is better than all, some Logic, some Cubase, some Nudeno, and some Digital Performer. It just depends on what you're doing and how familiar you are with the program really. Every DAW has negatives and positives on the competiton.

I'm a ProTools user and I use Logic. ProTools in my opinion is the best for recording audio. As far as MIDI and Synths are concerned I really hate dealing with MIDI and Synths in ProTools, Logic is a billion times better in this area. But where I really hate Logic is recording audio as it's setup poorly in that area. So there's a trade off... I tend to do all the MIDI stuff in Logic then import it into ProTools as I prefer it that way. One main downfall for ProTools though is you have to buy Digidesign hardware in order to run it, you don't with everything else. Logic and Logic Express are Mac Only. ProTools is PC/Mac.

Digital Performer is pretty good too, I really enjoyed playing around with it. There were only a couple minor things I didn't like but overall it was probably as good as those two. Mac only as well.

I've never really spent a lot of time with Cubase/Nuendo. I have a friend really into it though. I've never been to a Pro studio that ran it though... not that it's a bad program.

Another thing, if you're talking about obtaining copied/cracked software you won't get it to work for ProTools or Logic Pro. They both require hardware in order to run the software and so far noones been able to crack it to work without the hardware. (except Logic Pro 5 which was available for PC many years ago.)