Computer Based Music Creation.

Well , I have searched ProTools actually. And it doesn't require any hardware. Only there is Sound Card you can buy for PC , that the program works better on it.

And my real interest is Synth. And I know Steven Wilson uses Logic too , he gave me this inspiration actually. So love effects and stuff that Logic has. But unforgenetly I don't have a Mac. And there is no way me to run Logic in my PC probably :( So I am working on Cubase nowadays. But I will get and try ProTools soon.

By the way , yesterday I have learned that there are huge Sound Banks for programs like that. Like there is one composed of 11 discs. I am planing to copy them for my Cubase. I hope that would help.

Thanks

The proper versions of Protools do require Digidesign hardware. Maybe your talking about some really watered down free version or somthing ive heard about.

As for Logic, you can run the education version on PC's.

I wouldn't recommend Macs just because you love Wilson. Cubase is a great program, even moreso if you're a beginner. I have Cubase SX3 and still haven't been able to use it's full capability. If you have Cubase, I recommend 'aquiring' the tutorial DVDs and just start to have fun. Having the same software as your favorite musician doesn't make you a great musician.

For the record (and if necessary), excuse this post, I'm quite drunk.

An Absent Friend said:
Well , I have searched ProTools actually. And it doesn't require any hardware. Only there is Sound Card you can buy for PC , that the program works better on it.
ProTools "Free" will work without the hardware (sound card) but that's very limited (I think only 4 tracks) and doesn't even work with XP I believe.

You can go ahead and download ProTools LE or TDM but when you open it it will say "Digidesign hardware is not plugged in" and the program will close.

A lot of people would be happy campers if they could actually run ProTools without Digidesign hardware, as that's one of the reasons people hate the company so much. Every other company offers software without hardware but with ProTools you have to have Digidesign hardware in order to open ProTools.

Keith! said:
As for Logic, you can run the education version on PC's.
Got a link for that? Because I'm pretty sure it's Apple only since version 6...

Na i don't sorry, but at my school we used it on PC's as an introduction to the basics of the audio world. I think it was version 5, the last one they did for PC's if i am correct.
I never looked back on that shit when we were introduced to the wonders of Protools. :) But it is good for the budding bedroom engineer.

Keith! said:
I think it was version 5, the last one they did for PC's if i am correct.
ah ok, I thought you were tlaking of the new version :loco:

Version 5 was alright. I don't really like using Logic myself though :p

Well Moon , of course Wilson is not the reason why I want to use Logic. I want Synths and from his music it's obvious that Logic is perfect about that.

And Splastik , There is something that I am not proud of saying but there are cracked versions of ProTools. There is a team called H20 that cracks music programs like that. And a friend of mine told that he ProTools that can work on XP perfectly. And my Cubase is crack too , I cannot afford 600$ sorry :(

So I will install ProTools too probably , but I will keep Cubase.

Abot Logic 5. Does it worth trying? About Synths and everything?

And my only advise is a program called Groove Agent. It's perfect drum pattern writing. You only work with ratios , tunes and stuff. For example you write 3:1:2:3. It like in evert hi-hat one crash bla bla. And once you decide your tempo it starts playing.. It's perfect.

Cheers

ProTools simply doesn't work without Digidesign or M-audio hardware. You can crack the software all you want, it won't function correctly.

I should remind you that the guidelines on the forum also expressly forbid discussing pirated software/music etc.

Sorry , I didn't know discussing software was forbidden. Please don't close the thread :erk:

And , I don't know if it will function correctly. My friend has it on his computer , it was OK I think. But I will inform you when I get it.

And incase how much is that sound card?

Okay guys, whilst this is a good discussion, I've just wiped another 3 posts for explicity discussing pirated software. If it happens again, the thread is gone.

@Absentfriend: The cheapest Digidesign interface is the Mbox. It goes for a few hundred over here in Australia. You can pick them up relatively cheap second hand. I'm sure M-audio would have a cheaper equivalent though.

What do sound fonts have anything to do with audio production? They're some sort of compromise in between MIDI and trying to trigger realistic samples off it for the end user.

My stint with them went for approximately 6 hours, after which I realized what I was doing with Cubase, Battery and DFH was 100 times better.

Fruity Loops isn't exactly made for realistic drum simulation. It's made to do electronic music, in which the drums do repeat with the same velocity throughout entire tracks.

The best way to create realistic drum sounds is through the combination of a DAW, a sampler and a set of uniform samples.

Thank you Moonlapse , If I wasn't saving money for my new guitar I would buy but :erk: Probably in a month...

And yes my biggest wish is to create realistic drum patterns , and work with them on my guitar. Can tell me what is a DAW , sampler and samples. I hope I am not asking for too many things.

And OK the illegal software chat will stop :D

a sampler is an electronic musical instrument that can record and store audio samples, generally recordings of existing sounds and play them back at a range of pitches

samples are like pre recorded instruments^ that you can repeat and use in making songs on computer