Computer Geeks! help me!

The cafeteria here at work just started stocking Vault Zero, ughhhh why do I keep drinking this filth?!

I'm all twitchy now.

IronGuillotine is very correct with what he states. i said to turn off sys restore since by the time you DO have a problem such as a virus or spyware it is probably too late. those things lurk in your system longer than you think.

also removing from the windows registry start up only solves it for weak malware. most of the stronger stuff (namely downloaders) it won't do anything.

sometimes it is smart to have the OS on a isolated drive so that if you need to reformat the OS it doesn't wipe the rest of the drives.

for your info, i haven't had a spyware/malware/virus related problem since i switched to firefox from IE (meaning i removed all the crap from my comp and used FF and it was good, not while i still had problems).

the key thing is to browse smart.

also i said to turn of windows security functions because it is crap and anything out there is better and usually free (and i did specify some good alternatives).

wow.

1.removing shit from the startup in the reg prevents shit from loading on boot so you can go about cleaning it.

2.i know how viruses work

3. you can browse smart with IE, i have always used IE and have never had any type of malware or viruses that were caused from browsing.

4. system restore is used for solving more problems than just virus removal... in fact, it really isnt used for that at all. but when some stupid motherfucker thinks he can make changes to his registry or "i was cleaning my hard drive in the windows foldeR" and fucks his system up, guess what, your a total asshole if you forgot to turn his system restore back on for him when you were done working on his pc.

5. Windows rules... you think some 24 year old computer programer can make a "free security utility" thats better than Microsoft's team of fucking software engineers? Let me tell you, he's not. Not to say that the 3rd party programs suck, they dont, most of them are quite good, but to say that Windows and its components (IE, Security Center) suck, is stupid.

Mike said:
unless your surfing habbits are bad and you like to download free crap, i would advise to NOT keep system restore off. it DOES work... if youve had a major software problem like this for 2 weeks, you obviously cant restore to a week ago and hope everything is gonna be fine... if you catch a problem early, system restore could be your saviour.

If it works for you then that's cool, but it's definitely not for everyone. I simply cannot trust the System Restore. Too many times it has erased important information that overlooked in the backup process. SR does nothing to fix the errors. All it does is blindly reset the system settings to a roll back period and remove any installed programs (and files) since that date. If you're pushing your computer to the limits every day then you can lose important data. It's not a robust solution unless you're a light user or don't mind have to repeat work. There is always a more elegant solution, but to each his own I guess...

he's right, ive had adaware, windows defender, spybot, and avg all set to monitor someones pc for them, when it comes to programs, hes right, you can mix and match all you want.. just not with virus scanners, they conflict with each other.

Yes, very important. Though, there are some exceptions. Some virus scanners will work fine with Norton or other virus scanners loaded.

Mike said:
he's right about the rebooting, if you feel like trying to figure out whats starting up, you can check your start up lists.

Click Start, go to Run, then type MSCONFIG when that pops up click the start up tab at the top, and you can tell stuff to not load on start up, this is handy in any situation, but especially good for viruses, malware, etc..

The second list is way more complicated and you might not want to try, go to start, run again and type REGEDIT then browse to these locations

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and delete anything that looks like its a virus or malware (do research first) you can always go to google or google groups and type the names of anything running in your start up list or your task manager... you will almost always get a description of it.

This is very important. If you don't know how to do this already, then I'd suggest righting this down. Chances are that you'll need it at some point in your life.

FretsAflame said:
apparently I'm chopped liver for offering up some simple quick-fixes -.-

Not at all. In fact, your posts were quite helpful. However, there were some things said in this thread that were misleading, dangerous, and plain wrong. I feel bad if I offended anyone, but misconceptions must be cleared up or people will be wasting their time on a while goose chase or possibly making the problem worse.

Mike said:
dont sweat it steve, nothing wrong with your posts dude... its just the standard bullshit that come from people who start off with

"I hope I dont offend you, but let me emphasize just how wrong you are"

That's not fair Mike. You know that my post wasn't directed at anyone in particular, and that what I said was correct. Moreover, I'm only trying to help! How rude of you to directly insult someone who is trying to do something positive. Sometimes you have you be honest and direct in what you say in order for people to get the idea. There was a lot of "do this and it'll fix it" type of posts on here, and those type of posts can be very dangerous when concerning the removal of computer threats. This is epecially in cases where you don't even know the name of the threat that you're dealing with (like in this thread). A threat that's been partically "cleaned" using bad practices is much harder to remove than doing it right in the first place.

FretsAflame said:
:lol:

kk rock on then I suppose :headbang:

Of course I'm sure I've done my fair share of that in political threads on various forums, but I generally don't say 'no offense, but you're a bitch'. I just say 'you're a bitch, and should be offended'. :lol:

I wasn't my intent to call anyone a bitch. Everyone posting in this thread is just trying to help. That's a good thing and I'm not trying to bash anyone. However, there IS a lot of misinformation here that should be cleared up. Noone else was doing it, so I felt morally responsible to take on the task. If it was my intent to flame someone then I would have done so. I do not say one thing and mean something else, and I do not hide behind misleading words. I say what I mean and mean what I say....unless I'm just joking around of course.

To anyone I offended, I'm sorry. I was concerned that that may be the case, which is why I put in the disclaimer. Obviously you were offended anyway, so I do apologize. I've been doing this for a very long time and sometimes the spreading of misconception gets to you, ya know? I'm sure that everyone has felt a similar way at some point. Anyway, I'm still going to try and help in this thread any way that I can, but please don't call my posts "bullshit" or anything. I'm not here to start a fight. I'm here to offer my knowledge and experience earned through years of hard work up to the good people of this board.

yo dude, it's all in good fun, just busting on some balls here, everyones been helpful here.....

especially james.

Chromatose said:
bustin' balls is just a way of sayin' "hey welcome to the family" around here.

Hey remember that time you got barbeque sauce all over my balls? That was fucking sweet.