Concert behavior

I love concerts... I don't agree wit those of you who think that they should be held in a cinema type places. A show without a moshpit is not a very good show at all. Don't get me wrong I'm not in favor of those who are out to kill each other, but moshpits just add to the general excitement, and the feeling of being at a metal show. Most of the time I try not to participate because they can get a bit too dangerous, but if a band is playing a song that I really like I wil often go insane, and maybe even jump into the pit for a few minutes. It is simply uncontrolable.
I also enjoy watching other people mosh. It can be very humorous at times. I simply love it all...

Originally posted by Triste
Another band that I saw in a similar setting was ANATHEMA when they played Milwaukee Metalfest in 2000. They had red velvet curtains on their stage...how fitting! And Vinnie Cavanaugh DID have a poet shirt on!:lol:
Yeah, I was in that room for their set too. I thought it was a strange setting though. I felt sorry for the bands that had to play in that room. Playing to a seated audience just doesn't seem quite as inspiring.

My problem with Opeth live gigs is, that the _others_ are headbanging on _my_ head!
I never have any space to headbang where I want to :p
So I usually just stand there, being overwhelmed by Opeth and almost brought to tears sometimes .. :)

When I was much younger I used to try to get as close as possible to the stage, in the pit, whatever... Lost a lot of stuff in the process. But then I got crushed up against a security fence in front of the stage by a bunch of huge and aggressive male Danzig fans, and had to be pulled out by security over the fence. It was actually pretty scary. So now I tend to stay back out of the way a bit. (Mind you, that show was outside of Buffalo, and I've never had a concert experience that violent here in Ontario.)

If I have room, I like to dance around a little while I'm watching my favourite bands. Otherwise I just move some part of my body to the music. I don't sing along much anymore. I prefer to take it all in.

People talking during Opeth - that made me mental! With most bands, you don't hear it, but with all those softer passages all of a sudden you hear all these annoying voices. That kind of thing makes me want to smack somebody.

Originally posted by Trapped
Old segression was MORE than OK. LIA is a great album... CAGE OF NAILS :headbang: !!!!

5th/5th is okay, not great, but his vocals were awesome. Some good songs, but WHERE THE FUCK DID ALL THE SOLOS GO???!!

Smile is just crap. not even worth looking at.

It's better when you start with Smile, and work your way back ;)

I think Smile is a great album, they really got what they set out to create. It has new elements in it that they couldn't quite get in the prior releases, but yes, NO SOLO'S.

If there is a solo, I can't remember it. I like the album though. Especially the special bit at the end. (Added on to Whipping Collar? Axillism? Ahh..)

I think Smile is a great album,

...That's because you're a nu-metal kid. It is a terrible album, and because of it, i am ashamed to even mention that i used to be a segression fan "Back in the day".

*shakes head*

They are just another rap band with distorted guitars now.

For me it really depends on the band. I went pretty crazy when ive seen nevermore and judas priest, I was really excited and all, air guitaring, usually i point at the soloist and stuff, sing along, headbang, get real excited. but when i saw dream theater (who are my 2nd favorite band in the world) i didnt really do a whole lot more than clapping along or bopping my head, and singing along. it was kind of similiar when i saw opeth. it really depedns on how the music is making me feel, how much room i have, etc. i think moshing is dumb. also i think people should just be allowed to watch the show without going crazy. people have different personalities, ya know? sometimes i worry people might think i dont like the band enough or something, but if i dont feel like going crazy, then im not going to go crazy. sometimes its nice to just watch and enjoy.

At a good metal show, I headbang, throw the goat/fist and watch. I have to have a little buzz, though.:D
Hell I was drunk enough the other day to headbang while watching Fu Manchu:Smokedev:

Originally posted by Blackspirit
WOW! :eek:))
Vortex; I'd LOVe to go to a concert with you sometime! hehe...
I've never heard or read about a GUY wanting to dance when
listening to metal :eek:)) I'm one of those chicks >:eek:P hehe...
I just can't NOT move around when the music and energy is
flowing.... When my fav song comes on here at home you can
be sure I'll headbang or at least nod my head, and if I'm home
alone I'll do some serious dancing!! >:eek:) hehe... Picture us
dancing away to Opeth! Lol >:eek:P

Well, thank you! :D No problem with dancing to metal, some people would think I'm contradictory anyway in general. But that's just what I'm like - ditch the rules. I hear quite many dance-able parts in metal songs, things which make me float rather than make me go "AAAARGHH!" ;). I just try to move to what I feel. When you have a good groove like in the beginning of Amen Corner, it would be stupid to just headbang. ;)

One of those chicks who dances to metal? You're the first as far as I know ;) . When I see girls at metal concerts, 90 percent of them always seem to stand still. I guess they think headbanging isn't very feminine and stay away from it all. It's great to hear from girls like you who have the "guts" to enjoy the music, even headbang and scream along! :) I guess it isn't always easy in a male-dominated happening like a metal show usually is. But dancing isn't forbidden either in metal shows, and I for one think many guys would be delighted if the girls started having some real fun there. Maybe you'd have the courage to start a movement? ;) :D

Anyway, chances are if Opeth ever plays in Scandinavia again maybe we will meet there? At least I'd go see them as far as Sweden easily if given the chance with a few other people from here. Then the band will be looking at us two weirdos and guiding us to the nearest dancefloor I guess! ;)

I mostly just sit or stand there. I mean, I nod along and yell when they request yelling. Who am I to deny their requests? But I don't mosh. I fear moshing.

Can you name one of the dance-able metal songs you talked about? :)
I'm taking dancing lessons now (to get h4wt chickz) and we can bring our own music, so .. would be interesting! =)

Originally posted by Vortex

Well, thank you! :D No problem with dancing to metal, some people would think I'm contradictory anyway in general. But that's just what I'm like - ditch the rules. I hear quite many dance-able parts in metal songs, things which make me float rather than make me go "AAAARGHH!" ;). I just try to move to what I feel. When you have a good groove like in the beginning of Amen Corner, it would be stupid to just headbang. ;)

One of those chicks who dances to metal? You're the first as far as I know ;) . When I see girls at metal concerts, 90 percent of them always seem to stand still. I guess they think headbanging isn't very feminine and stay away from it all. It's great to hear from girls like you who have the "guts" to enjoy the music, even headbang and scream along! :) I guess it isn't always easy in a male-dominated happening like a metal show usually is. But dancing isn't forbidden either in metal shows, and I for one think many guys would be delighted if the girls started having some real fun there. Maybe you'd have the courage to start a movement? ;) :D

Anyway, chances are if Opeth ever plays in Scandinavia again maybe we will meet there? At least I'd go see them as far as Sweden easily if given the chance with a few other people from here. Then the band will be looking at us two weirdos and guiding us to the nearest dancefloor I guess! ;)

Haha, you'd be surprised, but most of the girls at the
Theriongig I was at last year here, were all
headbanging or at least nodding their heads! :eek:)
I saw one chiq though, she was a better headbanger
than all the vikingguys together! >;o)

Anyways! I'll see you in Sweden!
Meet ya on the dancefloor baby! Hehe... :eek:)
Us two, we'll be the dancingcouple of this century >:eek:P

Vortex: "I have to show my dedication to a great song somehow, otherwise I feel very cheated afterwards. Even more important is sharing your excitement with the people around you. It's the hardest when no-one around you wants to have fun.

I know all too well, unfortunately, what its like and how frustrating it can be when no one around you is having a good time or too busy looking cool to move. You can usually find me at a show with a huge grin from ear to ear. I was the only one standing at the last Opeth show I went to in the section I was in, hands over my head supporting the appearance of my metal gods in the flesh.

:devil:

Combining Air guitar-ing and headbanging together rocks but I feel like a dumb while doing it among a group of people :) I like doing it nevertheless.

i just go to see the music being played, i dont like to go nuts or have people pushing into me, it detracts from the overall experiance in my opinion :)

but thats just me

My days of moshing have been long over and especially crowd surfing or floating as we called in California. After I got dropped 6 feet on the back of my head and someone stepped on my nose and broke it at a Slayer concert I realized it wasn't worth it.

I like to mildly get into the music by mild headbanding, moving my shoulders side to side or arms going in different directions. I really don't pay attention to it on purpose as the more I am into the band, it comes natural.

Most people at concerts I go too act just fine but there usually is the "concert idiot" always there. At the Opeth show in Dallas everyone was cool. I do ask though to the guy in front/side of me that was more interested in texting on his cell phone then watching the concert what the hell are you doing? But it was his money.

Are you one of those people who just stands still at shows and looks confused at people having fun around you? Listening to your favorite band live and showing no sings of amazement?

I've never understood it. I don't think I can stand still even at an Opeth show while they usually have a reputation of being "not so wild". I have to show my dedication to a great song somehow, otherwise I feel very cheated afterwards. Even more important is sharing your excitement with the people around you. It's the hardest when no-one around you wants to have fun. While this may sound like it, I'm not even what you'd call a "wild" or "rude" person! I'm very relaxed and nice in normal life.

If headbanging, playing air guitar and screaming along looks silly, well, it's about the only thing you can do to the music. Something like dancing looks more acceptable and cool for sure, but that doesn't work. I have to admit I sometimes try to "dance" along the more groovier or quieter parts. ;)

Moshpits are another case. I understand people moshing together have their common rules of what is right and what is not, but there's always the ones who have to stand right next to the pit. I never do anything which could harm or disturb other people.

Comment, please! ;)

Hmm, i'm sort of the opposite. I only mosh to bands i don't really like. I do appreciate the energy of a mosh pit, and they are fun. but when i'm seeing a band i really like, i like to watch them perform as much as i can. this is the main reason i even go to concerts, to me its the main reason you would see them live rather than listen to a cd at home. This however never stops me from headbanging along.

What does piss me the fuck off though is when there are idiots trying to mosh to the soft parts of the drapery falls, or when i am standing there trying to watch the artist play a solo, and some big douchebag comes along and rams you in the back.

Also in mosh pits there are often assholes that are really just there to hurt everyone and they atart kicking and elbowing and shit, thats just fucking stupid.