Consideration At Gigs

Vibrating Ducky

Satan's Whore
Jan 14, 2002
England
Visit site
I just wanted to ask if people could have a bit more consideration for others at gigs.
I was at the Opeth gig yesterday which was a good gig, though not as good as Christmas but every gig I go to I wish people didn't act like idiots and make the gig not quite as good as it could be.
Firstly why do people have to smoke during the gig, I don't smoke and I don't see how people can be so addicted that they have to smoke all the way through the gig. Why not just up at the bar and outside? I cannot stand cigarette smoke and having it blown in my face, making me choke all evening as well as having to make sure I wasn't burnt was not fun.

Secondly why is there always a select few people who either form a circle pit or just randomly go mad, hitting people and beating the crap out of small people like me who just want to enjoy the evening. I don't mean moshing, I do my fair share of that, but blatant hitting and writting around like a mad man really ruins the evening for those that don't want to have to keep defending themselves all evening.

And lastly why do people have to shout out all the way through the quiet bits (especially in an opeth gig). The song will get to a nice acoustic or singy part and some idiots will start shouting out shit like "play some fuckin heavy stuff" or "get the fuck on with it" constantly right next to me which spoils the mood and song completely.

Sorry to moan, and I know this only applies to a small number of otherwise very friendly and considerate fans but please tone it down!
Give me some feedback as to whether you agree that these are problems or your experiences at gigs.
Moan over!

THE DUCK WHOM VIBRATES
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I usually avoid the floor closer to the stage, so I tend not to see too much of that.

But, I recently went to a concert where I was 6 deep from the stage. And I did notice that there were quite a few idiots who distract you from the music. Just like you said, these people just randomly flailed around - not moshing in an "organized" pit, but just going mad. So there I was in blocking pattern protecting the family. Also - there are the ones who get real close to the stage - then talk during the whole concert. And of course - they talk loud to talk over the music, so you can hear them too. If you came to talk - sit at the bar, or on the sides or back of the venue - not in some prime spot where REAL listeners should be.

I too don't smoke, but, I also respect the fact that smoking is legal. So, if it is allowed, so be it. If not - then it's rude.

yeah i know what your talking about, you also forgot to mention people who feel the need to throw, sorry whip you with their hair, i came home from one gig with red shoulders from being repeatedly whipped, but i understand, i mean i like to headbang, although i have short hair. but in the end you should be able to mosh, just its sometimes really annoying. and yeah, why smoke right in the middle of a gig, i get bad headaches from ciggarette smoke and it pisses me off. a little consideration maybe would be nice...

oh well, you should just turn up earlier for the gig to get a front standing place, or stand well back, i dunno.

Originally posted by Vibrating Ducky
And lastly why do people have to shout out all the way through the quiet bits (especially in an opeth gig). The song will get to a nice acoustic or singy part and some idiots will start shouting out shit like "play some fuckin heavy stuff" or "get the fuck on with it" constantly right next to me which spoils the mood and song completely

Yes!!!!! I _hate_ that!!!! They're trying to be funny,
but it just pisses me off! Esp. if it's Opeth! The songs
have some really good quiet parts and they get
ruined by some dork screaming lame stuff! :eek:(

It's annoying. I just want to enjoy the songs, how
can you enjoy something while you're screaming on
top of your lungs, something that has nothing to do
with the music?

I don't care if you feel like screaming, just do it in
between the songs. Then let opeth know what you
feel about the music... :eek:)

I agree with you on a lot of points. I went and saw Down last Thursday (just an amazing show by the way, they played for 2 and a half hours).
I always get annoyed by something or someone at almost every concert I go to. First this guy puts a girl on his shoulders a lot of the time, maybe cause she is short, but hey she isn't the only short one.
I know most people like it but I think moshing and all that shit is just plain stupid. Sure enough someone gets mad cause they got pushed the wrong way or something and a fight breaks out. At Down they even started fighting the security guys. I go to the concert to listen to some music, the people in the mosh pit after a while are so involved into it that they dont' even pay attention to the music anymore. Just read the quote in my sig by Phil, that will tell you how I feel.
Remember it's about the music when you go to the concert.

At the end of the day there will always be idiots at concerts, so there is only one thing for it, if you don't like cigarette smoke (not that I'm calling people who smoke idiots), random violent acts, et cetera, don't go down the front. I was at the front and some little shit tried to knock me back by shoving me, so I pushed him out of my way and his mum got all shitty about it. HIS FUCKIN MUM! I thought this was supposed to be an over 16's venue? hehehe:D

Oh well, it doesn't bother me so much, there's nothing that can done about it.

Yeah. It's true. There are just too many fools at gigs. Too many
fools that should've had their gig licence withdrawed :D

I usually stand a lot in the front,middle behind the fence (hmm -
there usually is a fence). And after a while there are always some
really stupid fucks that want in front, but they have no respect.
Pulling and pushing and... grrrrrrr :mad: All they have to do is ask.
Usually I give my space to someone acting normal...

In my favor, I am over 190 cm and weigh about 95, so I can
manage. I just feel so sorry for the people that are small.
Especially the girls drowning in the masses.

To those guilty: Next time, go and have fun and jump around
headbanging;
but show some goddamn respect for the person next to you!!

:Smokedev:

i agree. last night i was sitting upstairs with a good view. unfortunately, everyone who was standing at the bar seemed to not have come to see opeth. throughout all the songs there was talking which was really annoying during the quiet bits. ok, they might be withering surface or arch enemy fans and didnt want to hear opeth, but why spend your money to go to a gig and then talk all the way through it, thus annoying me and everyone in that area?!?!!?:confused:

And lastly why do people have to shout out all the way through the quiet bits (especially in an opeth gig). The song will get to a nice acoustic or singy part and some idiots will start shouting out shit like "play some fuckin heavy stuff" or "get the fuck on with it" constantly right next to me which spoils the mood and song completely.

I totally agree with you on this one. I hate it when people are yelling during those parts of a gig.

there is only really 1 thing that severely annoys me at gigs, and thats when about half way through the gig, when all the support bands are finished and the main band are just about to come on, all the large hairy sweaty bastards decide to take off their shirts then mosh and rub themselves against me so i end up smelling somewhere between a camels rectum passage and a goats fart :(

Howdy james (ducky) - I had a great position at the gig - which you knew but I had to put it in writing to piss you off! Anyway you are right but I have to admit that the gig in general was a LOT calmer than at X-mas.

It's almost not worht talking about because there are idiots everywhere. See a film and if there's more than 10 people there, it's almost certain that some dope will be making a ton of noise with his food and chatting away.

In other words, any gathering of a sufficient number of human beings will include some morons. You might think that the fact that the gathering is an Opeth gig might serve as kind of a filter, but obviously not.

I just wanted to ask if people could have a bit more consideration for others at gigs.
I was at the Opeth gig yesterday which was a good gig, though not as good as Christmas but every gig I go to I wish people didn't act like idiots and make the gig not quite as good as it could be.
Firstly why do people have to smoke during the gig, I don't smoke and I don't see how people can be so addicted that they have to smoke all the way through the gig. Why not just up at the bar and outside? I cannot stand cigarette smoke and having it blown in my face, making me choke all evening as well as having to make sure I wasn't burnt was not fun.

Secondly why is there always a select few people who either form a circle pit or just randomly go mad, hitting people and beating the crap out of small people like me who just want to enjoy the evening. I don't mean moshing, I do my fair share of that, but blatant hitting and writting around like a mad man really ruins the evening for those that don't want to have to keep defending themselves all evening.

Sorry to moan, and I know this only applies to a small number of otherwise very friendly and considerate fans but please tone it down!
Give me some feedback as to whether you agree that these are problems or your experiences at gigs.
Moan over!

THE DUCK WHOM VIBRATES
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused:
With the exeption of your last point, all have a simple answer: Because you are a fucking fag. I know girls that put up with twice the crap you whine about, next time stay home it will make you and everyone else happy.

I agree with your last two points...

I hate when people in the pit start getting stupid, and bumping into those not in the pit. The Krisiun/Immolation show at Wetlands in NYC comes to mind. Some dumb fuck kept hitting my friends and I, needless to say he got his ass handed to him after the 5th fucking time.

I can imagine how much that must suck when people fucking yell out during the mellow parts. Casual Opeth fans, to say the least. To us die hard Opeth fans those mellow parts have alot of sentimental and emotional meanings, to the casual fan they are just boring filler.

As far as smoking goes, I smoke a whole pack when I'm at a show. It's all about the vibe, I have been to tons of shows and no one has EVER complained. In fact I am sort of hard pressed to find metal fans who do not smoke! hehe, My only complaint with that is...BUY YOUR OWN STOGES AND STOP BUMMING OFF ME!!! lol