During gigs...

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Does anybody ever just 'stop' in the middle of a gig, sort of overwhelmed by what's going on around oneself, and take a few moments to take everything in?

I find lately that at most gigs I tend to get bored and wish I was doing more than just being in the crowd. Only gig that this hasn't really happened to me to was during the last time Opeth were here, simply because I enjoyed every single second of it.

It just ocurred to me because people cite Opeth as such a 'boring' live band, yet I find it entirely the opposite. They've been the only band able to captivate me so much that I didn't find the chance to have one of these 'pauses'.

Not entirely sure if that makes any kind of sense. If I get a lot of 'wtf, put down the crack pipe, Moonie' replies, I'll try to reword it :)

That happens to me sometimes. As Opeth doesn't seem to do too much I would imagine they could be boring if at a huge stadium show. I say this because Tool is not the most engaging band live, and a few numbers stick out and just hold me and grip me (Reflections and the wonderful video montage that goes along with it), but otherwise there's a bit of a disconnect. If I saw them in a smaller club though I doubt I would have that, and I bet that it would be more engaging. Then again, Slayer doesn't really do anything, and even on big stages they never let go - I've been captivated whenever I've seen them. A band which holds my attention completely live is System of A Down. For a big venue performer, they really put on an energetic, attention-grabbing show.

As far as Opeth live, I think that a big diff. between Mike and Maynard is Mike seems to really like the audience and talks to them some, and seems very approachable, whereas Maynard seems a bit more cold and disconnected. The comfort that Mike gives off would tend to hold my attention and make me focus more. Plus the music is performed so brilliantly. But some people need performers to constantly talk and 'engage' them, and Mike isn't exactly verbose.

In the end I am someone who prefers to close my eyes for a lot of the concert and just let the music wash over me and take me away. If I was someone who just focused my eyes on the stage and wanted a ton of visual stimulation (I am not counting bands like NIN which have prominent visuals that are part of the show) I bet I might find some bands more boring live.

After the first few bars of The Masters Apprentices I stopped and looked around, it was really surreal. Id traveled to far and been through so much drama to get to see Opeth I didnt actually believe I was there.
Velvet revolver was the same, cuz it was the first "stadium rock" band I had seem. It seemed so unreal, the showing off ect ect.
However I have never really been bored at a gig. When APC started fucking around and played jimmy's got slacks (or something) my mind started to wander, and seeing Tool I got distracted (more to do with who I was with than the gig). But usually I go to see a band and am totally focused on that, not there to let my mind wander.

Yeah, the last smaller gig I went to I got bored. Wasn't enjoying it, didn't really get into it. And the headliners had their set cut short.

The last show I went to and saw Opeth was amazing though. I was hooked every minute of it. I'm going to see them again starting off the american tour on Oct 9th, I can't fucking wait. I hope nothing lame happens and they have to stop early or something.

When I see Opeth I feel as though I'm in a different world, I never feel the need to get involved in any pit action, I just want to listen and watch. There are often points when I feel that it can't be real, and that I can't be seeing them play. I take everything in I can and savour the moment.

As I walked out of the most recent London gig one I overheard one of the men handing out flyers say 'Opeth are boring live, I never go to see shit live bands.' I couldn't believe it, yes perhaps the band don't run around stage constantly, and try and get circle pits/walls of death started all the time, but so what? They seem in their own world when playing, which shows how much they care aboot the music, which to me makes a great band. Their musicianship is second to none, you try playing songs that long, complicated, and epic on the trot and see how well you do, lol.

In between songs Mikael comes across brilliantly, he is very funny, humble, and thankful to the crowd. Now if that doesn't make them a great live band I don't know what does.

When I saw Opeth live I switched between standing around and look like this: :OMG:
and doing headbanging. It was simply amazing to watch these pros playing their stuff and getting blown away by the energie.
As Mike would say: "This was pretty intense."

I've also had a few moments like these. Its cool when you become totally involved in the music and everything around you doesn't exist, except for the band and the music.

A REALLY great moment was, when I turned my head during "face of melinda" and saw a dude wearing a "Blackslashgrrrdestroy" T-Shirt (whatever..) with tears in his eyes...

When I saw 'em at SOTU, I just stood there listening and watching each band member play, pretty much enthralled. I remember being impressed by how close to the album most songs sounded. The sound wasn't perfect, but it still sounded better than most the bands there. Mostly, I coulnd't hear Per's keys very well. That's about the only criticism I can say, and not the band's fault. I felt privilaged to be among the first to hear TGC live.

Anyway, there were lots of bands I loved at SOTU, but Opeth was, as I expected, the highlight of the whole day!

BTW, I know I'm repeating myself here, but Mike A seems to really like Clutch. When they were playing Mike was on the side of the stage bobbing his head with a big grin on his face watching Clutch perform. I thought it was great 'cause I'm also a big fan of Clutch.

Moonlapse said:
Does anybody ever just 'stop' in the middle of a gig, sort of overwhelmed by what's going on around oneself, and take a few moments to take everything in?

I find lately that at most gigs I tend to get bored and wish I was doing more than just being in the crowd. Only gig that this hasn't really happened to me to was during the last time Opeth were here, simply because I enjoyed every single second of it.

It just ocurred to me because people cite Opeth as such a 'boring' live band, yet I find it entirely the opposite. They've been the only band able to captivate me so much that I didn't find the chance to have one of these 'pauses'.

Not entirely sure if that makes any kind of sense. If I get a lot of 'wtf, put down the crack pipe, Moonie' replies, I'll try to reword it :)
I think ppl may call them boring live since they are very laid back guys who come up on stage and just play thier music. I actually like that opposed to other bands who put on big light shows, act stupid (Devildriver with their stupid wine thing), and the sorts. I think Opeth are the better for just playing since that is what you go to a concert for, they don't have to resort to theh crap some other metal bands do.

zortz said:
When I saw 'em at SOTU, I just stood there listening and watching each band member play, pretty much enthralled. I remember being impressed by how close to the album most songs sounded. The sound wasn't perfect, but it still sounded better than most the bands there. Mostly, I coulnd't hear Per's keys very well. That's about the only criticism I can say, and not the band's fault. I felt privilaged to be among the first to hear TGC live.

Anyway, there were lots of bands I loved at SOTU, but Opeth was, as I expected, the highlight of the whole day!

BTW, I know I'm repeating myself here, but Mike A seems to really like Clutch. When they were playing Mike was on the side of the stage bobbing his head with a big grin on his face watching Clutch perform. I thought it was great 'cause I'm also a big fan of Clutch.

You should read the new biography stuff that Mikael wrote on the website. He says that he really liked the guys from Clutch and spent a lot of time with them and even had some drunken jam out sessions with them.

Over the years, each concert I've been to has taken on a life of it's own. As far as noticing my surroundings (pauses) versus being focused solely on stage and with the band, Opeth has kept my focus on stage all four times I've seen them. I really don't notice anything else around me. Boring? As a "stage show", of course Opeth is boring. But if anybody who knows Opeth goes expecting to see a "show" just doesn't understand Opeth. When it's all about the music, nothing else really matters, and Opeth delivers.

The only other band that has truly been only about the music that I've seen was Santana back in the late 70's.

Most concerts I've been to I find myself looking around because the music onstage hasn't been something that could keep my attention 100%. There have been a few concerts that have been engulfing based upon the overall sensation of the band combined with the surroundings. I have found that those pauses to take in the crowd become an important part of the overall concert experience:
Once I took my son to the Worcester Palladium to see Slayer. It must have been 120 degrees inside, but it didn't matter, The show was crazy, and at the end of the night, I was dripping wet from head to toe (and my clothes were completely soaked through with sweat). From watching Slayer onstage to the craziness of the crowd, it was awesome.
When I saw Dimmu Borgir, those pauses to look at the crowd were not because I was bored with the music, but the pure Goth in the crowd forced me to look. So interesting, so weird.
Shoot me, but the best overall concerts (show) I've seen was Ricky Martin. Not just because he put on a great stage show, and not because there were 18,000 screaming girls and 2 guys in the crowd (my son & I ), but it just had an electric feeling all night. I couldn't help but watch the crowds reaction.

Probably shouldn't ask why you and your son were at a Ricky Martin concert, eh? :)

I sort of understand where you're coming from though. A few weeks ago I was part of the stage crew for when Leo Sayer played here, and the vibe was quite cool. The musicians were great, so was the sound (thanks to Damien the FOH guy), but the crowd were TOTALLY outside our demographic and likewise with the music. Nonetheless there was a feeling there.