Meeting Opeth at gigs???

TattooAnt

Nov 3, 2005
Oxford, UK
I predict this question may not go down too well, but nothing ventured nothing gained: how, when, where do all you guys that have met Opeth at gigs acheived it?
Do you just look for tour bus and wait there?
Do Opeth leave venues straight after playing?
I know this may seem a bit fanboy-ish but despite loitering after gigs (i've seen opeth 4 times now) i've failed to spot them. I'm seeing them again in Oxford on Saturday and as I live really close to the venue I can't imagine the guys being that close to home and me not meeting them.
Anyone care to share their secret?:worship:

Peter made an interview right behind me and my freinds but we didn't want to interrupt him...

Well, at the latest Melbourne shows, we all gathered at the back of the venue, and Lopez was out having a smoke on the steps. Being VERY laid back about it.. just chattin to folks.. eventually the other guys came out, and they were more than happy to give autographs, have a chat, pose for photos etc.

So yeh, I've met them all, got all their autographs on my ticket, and got photos with them all. Even met Anna ;)

EDIT: Lopez was also roaming through the crowd during the support acts. I think Mendez was also, not completely sure.

T-Rat said:
they are very nice and very accessible...
Exactly...just find their tour bus after the show and wait for them..i did it many times and it always worked (except the last time i saw them, I only saw Peter quickly...but it was Melinda's 1st birthday !!)

In Orlando, I went and waited by the bus with my friends. Opeth had gone straight to the bus after the gig, but we waited (an hour at the most) and they all came out eventually. Also, I don't think it's necessarily fanboyish. There's nothing wrong with wanting to meet your favorite band (mine at least)!

opethmaniac said:
Exactly...just find their tour bus after the show and wait for them..i did it many times and it always worked (except the last time i saw them, I only saw Peter quickly...but it was Melinda's 1st birthday !!)

Awww, that's nice, what date was it?

It used to be very easy to have a chat with the guys after gigs, not so much anymore probably. I'm talking about back in 2001 when almost nobody, even people into metal, knew who the hell they were. At the Glasgow gig, they left before everyone even got out of the (sold out) building. Mike wasn't well, though.

In Houston this past October, they signed autographs at a booth after the show. Many people lined up and everyone met them. I'm not sure if they did this in other cities or if this was just a Houston thing. If it was just a Houston thing, I feel pretty damn lucky :)

My favorite part was when I shook Martin Mendez's hand and whispered to him, "May I kiss you on the cheek?" I spoke very softly, so he didn't hear me. He responded with "I'm sorry?" in his little accent. I didn't even bother with repeating myself, I just went in for the kill! I gave him a quick kiss on his left cheek and immediately turned away. I was a little shy, :lol:

Later on that evening, my friends and I walked outside of the venue and just waited for not even 5 minutes when the band walked out. I hollered over to them to get some sleep, then I ran over to Mendez again and gave him a hug, and told him "I Love You, I Love You." He said "Awwww". Haha. Wow I'm an idiot.

Sadpoet said:
My favorite part was when I shook Martin Mendez's hand and whispered to him, "May I kiss you on the cheek?"

When I tried this Mendez just stared at me and slowly backed out of the room.

-Vintersorg- said:
Well, at the latest Melbourne shows, we all gathered at the back of the venue, and Lopez was out having a smoke on the steps. Being VERY laid back about it.. just chattin to folks.. eventually the other guys came out, and they were more than happy to give autographs, have a chat, pose for photos etc.

So yeh, I've met them all, got all their autographs on my ticket, and got photos with them all. Even met Anna ;)

EDIT: Lopez was also roaming through the crowd during the support acts. I think Mendez was also, not completely sure.

This was during the underage gig, yeah? I recall pretty much everything you said there.

We went straight to the back of the corner right after their set and I just saw Lopez there talking to one other guy and I was totally dumbfounded. I just had no idea what to do. Lopez is a pretty good conversationalist though.

Got a couple of photos, but only really the one that turned out well. It's on opeth.com, under the fan pics section.

Thanks for the advice here guys. To turn this thread full circle, I managed to meet Peter last night in Oxford. I just did as a lot of you said and waited by their tour bus (for an hour-and-a-half; freezing in just a t-shirt).
I got a couple of albums signed and a few photos taken of us.
Unfortunately the other band members were already on the bus before I got to it (Mike didn't come out to us because he was asleep, allegedly).
It goes without saying that it would've been so cool to meet Mikael and Mendez, but Peter was really nice and accommodating so i'm really glad I had the opportunity to meet him.

Me and my friend turned up outside the tour bus about 7 and a half hours before the gig, in Manchester. We were the first people there and then after an hour and a half of being there Mikael and Peter came out of the tour bus.

Peter is the easiest one to talk to, actually. He actually seems interested in talking to their fans. The first time I talked with him back in 2001 we ended up talking for about half an hour before I had to go, and when I told him I had to go catch a train he was like "oh, you have to go already?" (or something similar, I can't remember exactly).

In March 2003 after a gig, I was out in the freezing weather and I saw Peter walk out. He was walking toward the bus then he looked at me and stopped and was like "do you want an autograph". It wasn't my intention, but since he offered, I accepted. Then he dragged all the other guys out of the bus for me, which he didn't have to do (I didn't ask him to), but he did and it was cool of him. Every time we've spoken after the first couple of times in 2001, he's mentioned how he remembered my face. He's really nice.

Martin Lopez is really cool, too. I've always found it really easy to talk to him as well. He also signed the guestbook on my site, which was a pleasant surprise. They're all nice guys, though.