Issue to discuss concerning Opeth and managment

exposeenmity

Oct 21, 2005
Edmond, Ok
Alright, I got back from the Dallas show this morning and I am not happy. The show was great, but certain situations arose that I would like to bring to everyones attention. I had purchased my tickets about three weeks before the show on Opeths site through the pre-sale. I didn't bother bring my confirmation email, figuring that I wouldn't need it. Well, my friend and I got there and were one of the first few people in line. Once they separated the line for will call tickets the shit began to hit the fan. Most of the people who had tickets on will call were not on some 'list' that they had. Then some how they were let in. Maybe because they found their names, I don't know. When I got to me, he said that I wasn't listed. So, he (a worker of the venue) had my friend and I stand aside, while other people on will call and other people who didn't even have tickets got in before we did. We had to stand there and wait until most of the will call people passed us and went inside. The venue worker for some reason said we could go in. Because we got in later than we were supposed to, we didn't get the spot we wanted in the front. Now, my problem isn't really with what spot I got, it lies in the disorganization with whom ever runs the tickets sales through that site. That was just a small issue compared with what happened next. I went to the merch table and purchased a shirt, I then proceeded to ask what was going on at a table next to the merch. The guy, Fye worker, said that if I purchased Ghost Reveries that I could get it autographed by the band. I told the guy that I already own the album because I bought it the day it came out, but wanted an autograph anyway. Then this jackass told me tuff, that if I wanted the bands autograph I'd have to buy the album. I then asked him what's the point of having to buy the album if I already have it? What am I going to do with an extra copy? Being a cooperate bitch he replied, "You can take your first copy and go to Fye and trade it in for something else or give it to a friend." I then told him that this whole situation was nothing but cooperate bullshit and walked off. After the show, they formed a line for the autographs. If anyone was in line who didn't purchase the album there, had to get out of line. They made it mandatory to purchase the album to get the autograph. I'm a dedicated Opeth fan, I bought the album the day it came out, I shouldn't have to buy it again just to get a f**king autograph. So I said screw it and my friend and I went outside to the tour bus. Once they were done signing autographs they came out and proceeded to get on the bus. I called out Peter and Mikael, but they just ignored me and got on the bus. Have Opeth stooped so low that they don't care about their fans enough to sign an autograph even if they didn't buy an album at the show? They were asking $20 for the cd, you know what? I spent $30 on a tour shirt, that should give me enough reason to get an autograph. The way I look at it, I shouldn't have to purchase a damn thing in order to get a signing. I am extremely disappointed with Opeth and probably won't be seeing them in concert anymore. They put a bad taste in my mouth that won't be going away any time soon. I guess that the switch to Roadrunner made them official 'rockstars' and they don't have to give two shits about the fans, only when they pay more money will they do anything. In retrospect, I saw them about two years ago in OKC. After the show, they came outside in the rainy cold weather, were extremely kind guys, and signed autographs until everyone got one. And guess what, no one had to pay a dime. And wouldn't you know it, that was after Deliverance and Damnation were released and, surprise, surprise, those two were released on Koch records. Coincidence, I don't think so.

*Didn't mean to post it twice, it said I wasn't logged in and figured I had to post it again once I was logged in.

exposeenmity said:
*Didn't mean to post it twice, it said I wasn't logged in and figured I had to post it again once I was logged in.

hey man, sorry to hear about the treatment.. its regrettable.. regarding the autographs, making anyone buy the cd on the spot to get in line for autographs is bullshit.

as to you trying to get attention at the bus and being ignored.. well we have to face the fact that opeth is not a small venue underground band anymore.. it would be hard for them to respond to each of the possibly 100's of people trying to have their 5 minutes with their heros. i kind of understand that, they go through this every night... i was able to meet them just the same in the past, but won't be standing around after the show any more, its pointless.

I can see where you would be upset, because there seemed to be a confluence of events that left a bad taste in your mouth. When taken one by one, maybe its not such a reflection on Opeth.

The ticket issue could have happened with any event, or hell, even booking a hotel room. Many of us have tales about paying for an event or hotel room only to find our name isn't in the system. Its more of a global computer issue. Perhaps somebody will see your post and iron out that wrinkle.

As for the CD signing, it sounds like the merch rep seemed to enjoy his "gatekeeping" power over autographs. He may have worked for the venue and not Roadrunner or Opeth (we had a girl selling shirts in L.A.). Besides, I wouldn't mind having a pristine copy of GR signed for my collection for $20. I listen to the other one and the autographed one stays unused. I'm guessing some might pay more than that for it on EBAY.

And getting dogged at the bus always sucks, but its happened to all of us at shows. Even nice guys like Mikael and Peter don't always have the time or energy for all of us.

Sucks about your experience, but you have to admit...come on...the show fuckin' rocked.

I have a few thoughts...

Frankly, I have little sympathy for your situaton. Most of that feeling comes from your choice to brand Opeth as corporate sponsored rock stars and ignore your other positive experiences from the past.

Your story about the tix has too many holes in the details for me to make a definitive conclusion regarding fault, but you already admitted that you didn't bring your confirmation email. Proper ID, the credit card you used to order tix and all backup documentation is a must for a smooth will call experience. Artist Direct is a quality organization in my experiences with them. If your issue has to do with the way you were handled at the window, talk to the venue management.

Regarding the purchase of the CD... Your nit-picking. Resquit had a reasonable suggestion regarding the handling of the situation. During the 2004 U.S. Tour, I purchased an additional copy of Damnation for $20 bucks, I already had the CD but I thought it was a fair price for a signed copy and I just bought it at the merch table.......my $20 didn't cover an opportunity to actually meet the band.

And finally, your getting miffed about not having the band stop and autograph something for you.... Let me break this to you easily. You are not the center of the universe. Too many factors in play for you to jump to a conclusion that Opeth have become "Rock Stars" now that they signed to RR. You had your chance and chose to walk away. Live with it. Did you consider that the band may have a schedule to keep? Maybe they decided it wouldn't be fair to those who stood in line and dropped $20 to get what you wanted for free? That practice is becoming quite common, by the way. I have seen it many times, most rescently at a dredg show. Buy a CD and meet the band. The line was very long. CD's were sold, people got to meet the band and get shit signed... everyone wins. Tours are designed to promote CD sales.:guh: Go figure.

No listen.. before you get all bent out of shape with me, please understand. I'm not trying to ream you. When my son and daughter are of age to go to shows and if they came to me with your story... I would have told them the exact same thing. Think of this as a reality check from your older brother more than some flame filled F.U. post from some know it all prick on the internet.

Out.:devil:

I actually was at the show, and saw exposeenemity arguing with the FYE rep. Not bringing the confirmation page is just foolishness. However, Opeth were signing autographs well after their set at the FYE thing, and even though it was lame that you had to buy a CD to get it signed, it was most likely a deal between FYE and RR. No suprise.

Opeth was very professional towards the fan at this particular concert.

Mr Samsara said:
Your story about the tix has too many holes in the details for me to make a definitive conclusion regarding fault, but you already admitted that you didn't bring your confirmation email. Proper ID, the credit card you used to order tix and all backup documentation is a must for a smooth will call experience. Artist Direct is a quality organization in my experiences with them. If your issue has to do with the way you were handled at the window, talk to the venue management.

Regarding the purchase of the CD... Your nit-picking. Resquit had a reasonable suggestion regarding the handling of the situation. During the 2004 U.S. Tour, I purchased an additional copy of Damnation for $20 bucks, I already had the CD but I thought it was a fair price for a signed copy and I just bought it at the merch table.......my $20 didn't cover an opportunity to actually meet the band.

And finally, your getting miffed about not having the band stop and autograph something for you.... Let me break this to you easily. You are not the center of the universe. Too many factors in play for you to jump to a conclusion that Opeth have become "Rock Stars" now that they signed to RR. You had your chance and chose to walk away. Live with it. Did you consider that the band may have a schedule to keep? Maybe they decided it wouldn't be fair to those who stood in line and dropped $20 to get what you wanted for free? That practice is becoming quite common, by the way. I have seen it many times, most rescently at a dredg show. Buy a CD and meet the band. The line was very long. CD's were sold, people got to meet the band and get shit signed... everyone wins. Tours are designed to promote CD sales. Go figure.
First off I never received an email conformation, second I did have my id as well as the card I bought it with, third I wasn't the only one who wasn't on the will call list, and fourth you obviously didn't get my point. I'm not bitching about not meeting the band, I've already met them and couldn't care less about meeting them again. The fact is you were forced to make a purchase and I was the ONLY one trying to get their attention as they were at their tour bus. I wasn't trying to get an autograph I wanted to tell them how I thought that it was bullshit that you had to buy the cd when I already fucking own the thing.

I'm not saying that any of this is Opeths fault, although I know they could do something about it. I'm pissed at the record company and the people in charge of merch, especially that asshole Fye guy. What really pissed me off about the whole thing was that Fye guy. He gave me a fucking attitude, he could have been like, "Sorry man, I can't do anything about, it's my job." But he didn't, he decided to be a prick about.

And I agree, Opeth did put on a great show, that's not what's in question here.

Its the fans that make bands feel like rockstars. If your willing to pay to get an autograph thats your own choice. I enjoy music for what it is, music, and I dont worship the ground that bands walk on, they are human beings like you and I.
What you also have to realize is that Opeth has played 8 shows in the last 9 days. They are also playing 28 shows in 32 days in North America, then two weeks off and then a 3 week tour of Europe with only 2 days off. This band is working hard to play for the fans, so if they dont have time to meet everyone you can see why.

When I got home I checked my email to see if in fact I did receive it and I didn't, I just thought I did. I've bought tickets for 3 different shows and thought I received that confirmation for the Opeth show. And again, I know the band is touring a lot and doesn't have much down time. It's the principle of the situation that pisses me off. God damn this is like talking to a wall.

shit happens man...maybe they didn't hear you when you called their name? maybe they were talking to each other?. I'm sure if you went up to the tour bus and waited by the door, someone would have came out.... At the suffocation show Derek Boyer came out, we shook his hand and asked him if he could get Frank Mullen and he did..Frank mullen came out and we all talked briefly. In situations regarding the tour bus...there are people who wait hours to meet a band. Each situation is different on different nights. What if something was going on with Mikael's family personally to where he needed to call Anna right away? You don't know.

About the whole fye thing, I don't think the band Opeth has the power to endorce or authorize it. It's not like they conjured up the idea "wow, we're sick of meeting fans for free, lets have them buy a CD for 20 bucks only to allow them one minute's worth of time with us!" I'm sure mikael would say that though in a joking manner haha...anyway, Opeth are gonna have to make a few non musical compromises while being signed to rr and non of them are really that big of a deal. Just bring your booklet out back and meet them the hard way.

Dreadful said:
About the whole fye thing, I don't think the band Opeth has the power to endorce or authorize it. It's not like they conjured up the idea "wow, we're sick of meeting fans for free, lets have them buy a CD for 20 bucks only to allow them one minute's worth of time with us!" I'm sure mikael would say that though in a joking manner haha...anyway, Opeth are gonna have to make a few non musical compromises while being signed to rr and non of them are really that big of a deal. Just bring your booklet out back and meet them the hard way.

That's my whole point, it's not the fact that Opeth didn't pay attention to me, not at all. I'm not that naive. It's how it's run and the fact that it's being run this way I'm completely against.

Sad to hear that's how it's going down in the states now. The band are aware of this, surely? I don't get it. Every time I've seen a band here they always just hang round the back with fans and give whoever the hell wants an autograph, an autograph, or photo, or a friendly chat.. whatever. I've hung with Opeth, Nightwish and some of the Bodom guys and never paid a cent above the ticket price for it.

Is this a new development at Opeth's gigs?

why do people feel they need an autograph or feel the need to meet the band?

I would like to meet the band just for handshaking and saying "you did a great show..." and stuff.
But hunting for autographs makes no sense to me. When you are able to tell your friends "Hey, I met this guy and he was cool." then yiu have luck but an autograph is a kind of unpersonal... but when you like it, go for it...

The bit that got me was, he shouldnt have to pay for another cd, when he has already got one, but did pay more for a shirt than a Cd and still they are arsey about it. Meeting your hero shouldnt cost you $20. As for them just not replying him when they called mike and peters name, from everything ive read of them it sounds very uncharacteristic of them. They usually appreciate their fans very much.