Issue to discuss concerning Opeth and managment

As a collector (read it as "child" if you choose, I am sure there will be some), I would not think twice about buying a second copy of the album in order to take away a signed copy from the gig. I have bought ALL the albums on the day of release and the above still applies.

I bought additional copies of some Bloodbath records when I was at Wacken for the signing. I wanted a souvenir that was that "something extra". It would never have crossed my mind to resent the band for me chosing to buy something that would look great signed...

Based on the venom of the first post and the fact that calling out to the band was in order to complain, I would have ignore some little kid with attitude as well. I have met Mikael and he was fine, a true gent. There again, I spoke to him in a friendly way.

I am not convinced that the post purporting to be from Mike is genuine, I believe it is not the case. I am in England, I do not have the characters on the keyboard, but I can still write "Å". It is written in the way a Swede would, but does not seem like the writing I am used to seeing from Mikael. I dismiss this. I would quite happily let him know how to get the characthers so he could log in with his regular account and claim authenticity of these posts...

Still... only in America. I went to one of the English gigs in September this year and will most likely catch a couple of the upcoming ones as well next month. The tourbus was in plain view, the fans had the respect to give them their privacy. They had no expectation of more, more, more all the time. The fans do not own the band, nor do they have the right to make demands of any kind of them. These things are a bonus. So, the band generously donate their time after a (almost certainly) stellar and tiring performance to give the fans a signature on a CD... The behaviour that was described by the complaining forum member would have had himself ejected from a UK venue by Security. He complains because he was not allowed in line when he is being aggro.

There has always been major anti-RR hostility on this board since it was first suggested. Many of the "fans" (forum members) swore that it was the end of the band, that the CD was an inevitable NuMetal hit.

So, you have to tolerate a little of the RR publicity machine... big deal. OK, the bloke was a prick. Were you a prick first? RR are giving the band exposure unprecedented in their career so far. Much of that is making them a big deal in the States. You are getting more than ever before, but still you all complain. You did not get a watered down product, you have the tours you have all been asking for, you have opportunities to meet the band... you still complain.

I am literally stunned that there has only been one voice of reason on this thread.

Lethal01 said:
For reference
alt+134/143 - å/Å
alt+132/142 - ä/Ä
alt+148/153 - ö/Ö
(on second though these may be hard to do on a laptop.. :))
True... You need to make sure the numlock is activated, then use the laptop keyboards numberpad keys (not the normal numbers, on laptops it's usually some of the letter keys, but marked in different colors) and finally do the alt+number combination. Then remember to deactivate numlock, so that you can type normal letters again. Not fun to do on a laptop.

Otherwise you can always do it the difficult way: Find a webpage/document that contains the character you need, mark, copy, paste. Not a fun process, but it does work.

Can we get a confirmation of some kind from one of the mods that Mike really does have a new name? Because it really wouldn't be hard to glance at a few of the real Mike's posts, register a new name and write up a post similar to his.

Eric Paradox said:
jesus christ this exposeenmity kid is a horrible backpedaler.
How about just pming me and telling it to me instead of getting off topic.

AlexGuinness said:
Still... only in America. I went to one of the English gigs in September this year and will most likely catch a couple of the upcoming ones as well next month. The tourbus was in plain view, the fans had the respect to give them their privacy. They had no expectation of more, more, more all the time. The fans do not own the band, nor do they have the right to make demands of any kind of them. These things are a bonus. So, the band generously donate their time after a (almost certainly) stellar and tiring performance to give the fans a signature on a CD... The behaviour that was described by the complaining forum member would have had himself ejected from a UK venue by Security. He complains because he was not allowed in line when he is being aggro.

You guys are pissing me off. I was not making any demands of the band and I didn't care about a god damn signature. I was simply wanting to bring it to their attention. So get off my fucking back and quit criticizing me.

I'm sad to say that people like you guys ruin the Opeth forum. We're all supposed to be fans of the band and someone can't give an opinion without being attacked.

*Edit, I appoligize for what I said before, it was out of line.

All I was trying to do was discuss a situation, but people decided to label me and say that I'm wrong just because of my opinion. You can't do that, just because you don't agree with someone's opinion. As far as me not being a saint, at least I haven't gone flat out and tell someone that there a whinney ass baby because of their opinion. By all means if I'm in the wrong, tell me, bring it to my attention, and if I agree I'll admit it.

exposeenmity said:
All I was trying to do was discuss a situation, but people decided to label me and say that I'm wrong just because of my opinion. You can't do that, just because you don't agree with someone's opinion. As far as me not being a saint, at least I haven't gone flat out and tell someone that there a whinney ass baby because of their opinion. By all means if I'm in the wrong, tell me, bring it to my attention, and if I agree I'll admit it.

the problem is, every time someone presents their point of view (which, in the case of AlexGuiness's post, was very well thought-out and mature) you feel the need to call them things like a "fucking dumbass" and flip out like you're some kind of ninja. And YOU, sir, are no ninja. Not to mention that you've presented several versions of the story.

i'm not trying to internet-battle you, but it's a little ridiculous of you to keep getting your boxer-briefs in a wad everytime someone else brings their opinion into it - and this is, after all, an internet forum. Dissenting opinions are pretty common.

I'm not either, I just get irritated when people think it's okay to be complete asses to someone. Not talking about you. Well, I think we're pretty good off topic now. So, in respect to the topic, it was just all a ploy for RR to get more money. I DO understand that they're a company, but when they don't inform the band about it, that's BS. *That is assuming the posts by Mikael, was actually him. I prefer to think that it was him.

Well, yeah I flipped out because it's getting ridiculous. As far as I can tell I only presented one version of the story except the part were I thought I had the confirmation email. And as much as I'd like to be, I know I am no ninja.

Just for the record, I was not attacking you.

I was trying to point out that you attitude (judging from the tonality of your first posting on this thread) may not have been condusive to what you were trying to achieve. Rather than dismiss my post altogether, do you think that you may have contributed to the situation that you were writing about?

You are perfectly entitled to consider me a dumbass. Many, however, would disagree... but not all.

AlexGuinness said:
Just for the record, I was not attacking you.

I was trying to point out that you attitude (judging from the tonality of your first posting on this thread) may not have been condusive to what you were trying to achieve. Rather than dismiss my post altogether, do you think that you may have contributed to the situation that you were writing about?

You are perfectly entitled to consider me a dumbass. Many, however, would disagree... but not all.

Well, I appologize, I felt like I was being attacked. And I think I mentioned this before, but I posted that right after I got back from the show and was fairly pissed. And I do realize that I didn't present everything in the manner that I should have.

exposeenmity said:
Alright, I got back from the Dallas show this morning and I am not happy. The show was great, but certain situations arose that I would like to bring to everyones attention. I had purchased my tickets about three weeks before the show on Opeths site through the pre-sale. I didn't bother bring my confirmation email, figuring that I wouldn't need it. Well, my friend and I got there and were one of the first few people in line. Once they separated the line for will call tickets the shit began to hit the fan. Most of the people who had tickets on will call were not on some 'list' that they had. Then some how they were let in.
Bad luck. Nothing to do with the band.

The guy, Fye worker, said that if I purchased Ghost Reveries that I could get it autographed by the band. I told the guy that I already own the album because I bought it the day it came out, but wanted an autograph anyway. Then this jackass told me tuff, that if I wanted the bands autograph I'd have to buy the album. I then asked him what's the point of having to buy the album if I already have it? What am I going to do with an extra copy? Being a cooperate bitch he replied, "You can take your first copy and go to Fye and trade it in for something else or give it to a friend." I then told him that this whole situation was nothing but cooperate bullshit and walked off. After the show, they formed a line for the autographs. If anyone was in line who didn't purchase the album there, had to get out of line. They made it mandatory to purchase the album to get the autograph. I'm a dedicated Opeth fan, I bought the album the day it came out, I shouldn't have to buy it again just to get a f**king autograph. So I said screw it and my friend and I went outside to the tour bus.

He was a friggin' FYE worker...what does that have to do with the band?
Once they were done signing autographs they came out and proceeded to get on the bus. I called out Peter and Mikael, but they just ignored me and got on the bus.

You were probably being a dick. Just a guess.

Have Opeth stooped so low that they don't care about their fans enough to sign an autograph even if they didn't buy an album at the show? They were asking $20 for the cd, you know what? I spent $30 on a tour shirt, that should give me enough reason to get an autograph. The way I look at it, I shouldn't have to purchase a damn thing in order to get a signing. I am extremely disappointed with Opeth and probably won't be seeing them in concert anymore. They put a bad taste in my mouth that won't be going away any time soon. I guess that the switch to Roadrunner made them official 'rockstars' and they don't have to give two shits about the fans, only when they pay more money will they do anything. In retrospect, I saw them about two years ago in OKC. After the show, they came outside in the rainy cold weather, were extremely kind guys, and signed autographs until everyone got one. And guess what, no one had to pay a dime. And wouldn't you know it, that was after Deliverance and Damnation were released and, surprise, surprise, those two were released on Koch records. Coincidence, I don't think so.

*Didn't mean to post it twice, it said I wasn't logged in and figured I had to post it again once I was logged in.

OK, don't go to their shows anymore. More tickets for the rest of us.

Jude said:
Bad luck. Nothing to do with the band.

He was a friggin' FYE worker...what does that have to do with the band?

You were probably being a dick. Just a guess.

OK, don't go to their shows anymore. More tickets for the rest of us.

If you haven't already done so, I ask that you please read the whole thread. If you take my original post as is, that's not what I was trying to get across. Me being pissed at the band was just me trying to make sense of the whole situation.