Elitism/Advanced Music Listening/Long Post!

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
Lately I've been thinking a lot about music (oddly enough, I seem to think about it as much, or more than I listen, yet still get a similar satisfaction,....)and how we percieve it. This may explain the idea of Elitism to some extent, and how it works.This may be a little long winded, but I'll just jump right into it.

Why do we appreciate some bands, and think they are gods, but often dislike Pop music, or simpler, mainstream forms of musical entertainment? To put it simply, I think it has a lot to do with one's talent for listening.

With mainstream music, we are often exposed to simplistic tunes, with predictable arrangements, and simple melodies. Basically, you hear the song once and you can sing a long with it, or at least recall it pretty well.

However, take a more advanced piece of music like Yes-Close to The Edge. You go through it, but on the first listen, at any given point you are pretty much lost as to how far into the song you are, and you just can't recall how one particular passage has any relation to any previous ones. There is a lot of evolution, and it is simply much more complex than your average pop tune.

So what's the point? Well, with the simple pop tunes, it's cool on the first listen or so, maybe catchy, easy to tap your foot to...Which is fine. But after repeated listens, it's way beyond predictable, you know every little detail of the song, and it loses it's excitement. Because what is so exciting about something you are totally familiar with?

Now look at more complex tunes, let's say Yes again. Every moment requires your full attention to realize what is happening, and you still don't fully grasp what is going on. It's takes careful listening, and many repeated listens to understand fully what the song is doing, where it is going, and how it all relates. I don't know how many times I listened before I realized they were doing variations on a theme within the song....

The more complex material requires more brain activity. We are actively engaged in the listening, trying to decipher the song as a whole. Every new listen brings excitement, because you simply can't predict what comes, or what new things you'll pick up on because of the complexity. But with the pop song, you lose interest after a few listens, because the brain no longer needs to be actively involved in the listening...You just instictvely or habitually know what is going to happen next.

Which brings me to the point of Opeth and Elitism. What we see here is some who think of Opeth as gods, and others who seems them as mediocre, or what have you. The way I see it, Opeth are sort of a crossover band in some ways. The seem to be a perfect bridge into more complex music, despite being relatively simple.

Opeth's songs are long with many riffs-hence it requires many listend to fully grasps. That's a lot of riffing to remember in one sitting. Also, their riff lengths tend to be longer than most bands. Again, more brain activity, more active listening/remembering to catch on to the songs. However, the repeat riffs ad nauseam, rather than letting them gradually evolve, or adding slight differences to each repeat of a riff. Thus the listener gets a good feel for the riff during the course of the song-it is repeated enough for them to grasp and understand as a single entity. Though being able to relate it well to the rest of the song comes after repeated listens.

So I see them as a crossover band. They can appeal to more advanced musical listeners, (listeners who are able to quickly pick up and understand more complex material as opposed to someone who hasn't yet ventured into that territory). After all, the brain can only develop skills through learning and practice, and it takes time to be able to appreciate lengthy complex pieces. For some people, complex music isn't worth wasting their time on, because they simply don't understand it. Just like some people don't see the point in learning to speak Japanese. It makes no sense to them, and they don't care for it to make sense to them. And that's fine!

So this is where elitism comes from in my mind. It's the interaction of people appreciating music on different levels than others. Some people praise Opeth to no end-well, that's great if it works for you, but it doesn't make them the best. There may be a lot more out there for you to discover, and you'll laugh at your foolishness if you are ever lucky enough to find the music that takes you further than Opeth.

Then there are those who see Opeth as being too simple. Chances are they have more advanced listening skills, and Opeth's music doesn't stimulate the senses enough to make it interesting to them. If that is the case, imagine how they must view something that is less complex than Opeth! It comes across as shallow, predictable, and unoriginal in most cases. And in their own mind, they are perfectly fine with saying that this type of music sucks. Because it does pretty much nothing for them.

Therefore, I think Elitism is simply a case of being on a different musical plane than someone else.

And to those that bash Opeth and their fans, just try and appreciate the fact that everyone here is at a different level of musical listening, and what they are hearing in Opeth is just right at this particular time...Chances are it will change in due time. So just respect it in that manner....

So that's my little theory. Comments? Think I'm a retard? :lol:

Ps. You can recommend me some complex music of any genre, and I'd be much appreciative!

I think you basically summed up music theory. Isn't theory the ability to understand -why- certain music sounds better than other types? To able to get excited over a complex piece of music... I may be mistaken, but isn't that part of it?

Very interesting. I have some comments.

Originally posted by Till Fjalls

Why do we appreciate some bands, and think they are gods, but often dislike Pop music, or simpler, mainstream forms of musical entertainment? To put it simply, I think it has a lot to do with one's talent for listening.

Experience also comes to mind.

However, take a more advanced piece of music like Yes-Close to The Edge. You go through it, but on the first listen, at any given point you are pretty much lost as to how far into the song you are, and you just can't recall how one particular passage has any relation to any previous ones. There is a lot of evolution, and it is simply much more complex than your average pop tune.

This is an example of long term satisfaction. Something you like the most may actually be less satisfying during the listening, but it lets you to keep listening to it more and more. As someone pointed out to me the other day, often the favorite album of someone is not their most played album.

So what's the point? Well, with the simple pop tunes, it's cool on the first listen or so, maybe catchy, easy to tap your foot to...Which is fine. But after repeated listens, it's way beyond predictable, you know every little detail of the song, and it loses it's excitement. Because what is so exciting about something you are totally familiar with?

The familiarness makes it accessible. The repeating use of the same times of music lets the fans, specifically of mainstream music, to already have a level of comfort while listening to it.

The more complex material requires more brain activity. We are actively engaged in the listening, trying to decipher the song as a whole. Every new listen brings excitement, because you simply can't predict what comes, or what new things you'll pick up on because of the complexity. But with the pop song, you lose interest after a few listens, because the brain no longer needs to be actively involved in the listening...You just instictvely or habitually know what is going to happen next.[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, complex music needs intentive listening. Most complex music is not that enjoyable if you do not listen to it closely. You can't really play it at a party, for example.

After all, the brain can only develop skills through learning and practice, and it takes time to be able to appreciate lengthy complex pieces. For some people, complex music isn't worth wasting their time on, because they simply don't understand it. Just like some people don't see the point in learning to speak Japanese.

Good comparison. It's a matter of priority. If music is a priority for someone, then they will spend more time on it... Most people listen to some form of music, but many are simply casual about it.

and you'll laugh at your foolishness if you are ever lucky enough to find the music that takes you further than Opeth.

If you praised them undeservingly, then yes, this is true. I believe that is what you are saying, but changing tastes or even expanding or evolving your tastes may not make you regret the music you truly enjoyed before. :D

Ps. You can recommend me some complex music of any genre, and I'd be much appreciative!

I've enjoyed some progressive jazz. Although I was never much of a jazz fan, the progressive variety of it I have found quite enjoyable. Herbie Mann's "At the Village Gate" is now my favorite instrumental CD. Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" is also progressive and is a great introduction to jazz, it seems. If you want to hear something by Mann, I can send through AIM. Nice post.

One more thing I just thought of...

You basically say that music that is harder to listen is also an accomplishment and can be used as justification, even if not truly "justifiable," for elitism. But some music is certainly harder to listen to other and may not be viewed the same way... Specifically, Opeth opens boundaries to those not really into metal or death metal or extreme metal or maybe even progressive music because of their beautiful acoustic melodies and clean vocals. Is being able to listen to something the accomplishment or finding the complexity of it? Opeth is more accessible than some types of music (black metal comes to mind), but still may be more complex than it. In this case, it would seem the two are contrasting...

Just a thought. :s

Hmm... a nice music topic for once! I must reply.... but it will take some time as theres a few things id like to address...

Just a couple thoughts here -

I think you are right to some extent, except that some progressive music does break into the mainstream. You used Yes' Close to the Edge as an example, but Yes certainly had some mainstream success. Maybe people don't have attention spans like before.

Also, maybe I am the only one here like this, but I sometimes hear mainstream type music differently sometimes, where it might "click" after a few times like a more progressive one, and really notice how good it is. I mean, that never happened with Britney Spears, but some bands like Pearl Jam, sure....

I've always admired pop songwriters, and think that some of them must be psychological geniuses. I mean, it's insanely hard to write super catchy tunes that force you to hum the melody.

Even if you hate the genre, I bet that you've found yourself humming a tune after hearing the song just once (I'm sure many of you will deny this, but I know you're lying!).

Anyone (Opeth included) can just string riffs together without any structure. It's really hard to come up with a verse and chorus and the perfect bridge. I guess this is why some songwriters are in such high demand and write tunes for so many groups (like that Swedish dude [Max Norman?] that writes Britney Spears, N'Sync, songs, etc.)

It's interesting to see how Opeth are slowly moving into the classic song format (verus, chorus, etc.). They know that some of the best music ever written is in this format and they realize that it's hard to do, but perhaps they feel the need to go into that direction.

This is not to say that I don't like music that doesn't follow the usual structure, but pop-music is a science and these guys and gals deserve credit!

Like they say, perfection can be found in simplicity!

I guess I'll go listen to "Tales from Topographic Oceans" now!

Later

Well ive got a whole post to write, but ill use your post as a guide to bring about points, but keep it in mind that even though im responding in little bits it should be read as a whole.

Right at the start comes a major problem with this whole post. Your placing music on a single linear scale. Suggesting something is simple or complex or somewhere in between. But music can be both simple and complex at the same time.

Lets compare Opeth with Dr Dre. Who's the more complex of the two? Most would say Opeth, but Akerfeldt doesnt even come close to the rhyming and phrasing abilities of Dre (or most rap).. nowhere near the use of varying samples and sound effects. Etc. The point is both are complex in different areas, yet simple in others.

Now lets take a look at Opeth themselves.. album one versus album five. Which is more complex? Orchid has twin guitar melodies that work very cleverly together, great acoustic riffs, etc etc. yet uses cliched lyrics (winter/forrest/etc), standard scales, mostly just simple harmonies, simple time sigs, etc etc. BWP has mroe interesting chord choices, greater production, wider variety of vocals, etc etc... yet has more structure, more unchanging repetition, less intricate guitar work... etc etc

There is no simple scale, even the best music can be outclassed in some areas by the most simple music.

With mainstream music, we are often exposed to simplistic tunes, with predictable arrangements, and simple melodies. Basically, you hear the song once and you can sing a long with it, or at least recall it pretty well.
And thats the thing to recognise about mainstream music. Its made to excel in only a few small areas, and its made to be tempting for only a short while, and instant satisfaction. They put in a couple of hooks to grab your attention and identify the song, then they surround it with everything normal. The hook can be anything from a cool sound effect, or a cool vocal line, up to a new mix of other pop styles, or something else. Generally there will only be maybe 2 interesting changes from the norm per artist/song.

Now look at more complex tunes, let's say Yes again. Every moment requires your full attention to realize what is happening, and you still don't fully grasp what is going on. It's takes careful listening, and many repeated listens to understand fully what the song is doing, where it is going, and how it all relates. I don't know how many times I listened before I realized they were doing variations on a theme within the song....

The more complex material requires more brain activity. We are actively engaged in the listening, trying to decipher the song as a whole. Every new listen brings excitement, because you simply can't predict what comes, or what new things you'll pick up on because of the complexity. But with the pop song, you lose interest after a few listens, because the brain no longer needs to be actively involved in the listening...You just instictvely or habitually know what is going to happen next.
There's complexity on many more different things in music like Yes. But understand thats its not really more complex at each individual thing. Think of guitar playing, compare someone like Vai to someone from your typical local pub band. Vai isnt a god, he's just a human. Overall you can say he's way more complex, but when you study it and look at it its a complex suite of simple techniques. As you become more skilled, or more knowledgable you start to see things as the sum of their parts, rather than the whole... and you notice more complexity that way. Instead of a 'really fast bit' you suddenly see a 'complex tap picking pit that leads onto a sweep which has a complex shape to it and using a complex blah' etc... but eventually you realise that underneath it all is just simple ideas, simple movements of fingers and picks, entirely possible.

Songs are much the same, they can seem complex at first ("it just sounds like random noise"), then as you learn more about it you see even more complexity(just read any Opeth-love thread.. ), but then as you learn even more you realise its just a sum of simple ideas and simple techniques.... because after all, behind the music there are just normal people, like you or I.

Which brings me to the point of Opeth and Elitism. What we see here is some who think of Opeth as gods, and others who seems them as mediocre, or what have you. The way I see it, Opeth are sort of a crossover band in some ways. The seem to be a perfect bridge into more complex music, despite being relatively simple.
Especially BWP, with its repeated vocal lines, more focus on the vocals, repeated riffs, some chorus/verse things now, etc etc.

So I see them as a crossover band. They can appeal to more advanced musical listeners, (listeners who are able to quickly pick up and understand more complex material as opposed to someone who hasn't yet ventured into that territory). After all, the brain can only develop skills through learning and practice, and it takes time to be able to appreciate lengthy complex pieces. For some people, complex music isn't worth wasting their time on, because they simply don't understand it. Just like some people don't see the point in learning to speak Japanese. It makes no sense to them, and they don't care for it to make sense to them. And that's fine!
Yep Opeth are a crossover band. But there are better crossover bands. Such as In Flames. Why? Because they have focus on vocals, they have verses/choruses, 4-5 minute songs, large focus on rhythm (eg. something to mosh to).. all very closely related to mainstream ideas. Yet they have the death vocals (or used to :p) and some awesome riffs, and some great harmonisation, and so on..

So this is where elitism comes from in my mind. It's the interaction of people appreciating music on different levels than others. Some people praise Opeth to no end-well, that's great if it works for you, but it doesn't make them the best. There may be a lot more out there for you to discover, and you'll laugh at your foolishness if you are ever lucky enough to find the music that takes you further than Opeth.

Then there are those who see Opeth as being too simple. Chances are they have more advanced listening skills, and Opeth's music doesn't stimulate the senses enough to make it interesting to them. If that is the case, imagine how they must view something that is less complex than Opeth! It comes across as shallow, predictable, and unoriginal in most cases. And in their own mind, they are perfectly fine with saying that this type of music sucks. Because it does pretty much nothing for them.

Therefore, I think Elitism is simply a case of being on a different musical plane than someone else.
And this is where i tie everything ive just said together, introduce a couple more things, and oppose your thoughts. Or at least define them a bit more.

Elitism is a mixture of a few things. Through different experience (both listening, playing, discussing, reading, learning... and also other life things that have nothing to do with music) we grow up to notice and appreciate different things in music. Elitism is mainly a confusion of Subjective and Objective opinions (ive been saying that a lot lately!). Its hard to call something 'good' if you dont know what its achieving (ie if you simply dont like the music).

So elitism, in my opinion, is:

where people have a range of things that they look for and recognise in music (everyone has a different set, i may notice choice of chords while someone else wouldnt notice the difference between an Am and a Am/G.. and same in reverse. The number of different things you can look for in music is unlimited - chords, scales, keys, structure, vocals, lyrics, beat, production, tone,etc etc etc)

which is a result of their experiences in life (generally what they know, either by direct learning or exposure.. and observations about causes and effects in music.. by that i mean they recognise what makes them like certain music)

and where they fail to recognise the large part that 'personal taste' plays in this process of what music you get into. Look outside the square and you'll see other people getting affected by music in far different ways, and it requires different musical complexity in different areas. And depending on the aims of the artist there's also choices in how much complexity you put in music (is there really anything better between listening to one song for months, as opposed to having a new favourite song every week?).

And theres also a large part of this confusion that music exists on a linear scale. That something is either outright better or worse.. its simply not the case.

And to those that bash Opeth and their fans, just try and appreciate the fact that everyone here is at a different level of musical listening, and what they are hearing in Opeth is just right at this particular time...Chances are it will change in due time. So just respect it in that manner....
I personally dont bash anyone who is a fan of any music. What i bash is people who fail to recognise how subjective their own opinions are. People who will yell out "my music is too complex for you to understand" and then go and say "damn that band is so shit" about someone else. Discussion about the pros and cons of music is fine, comparing small elements of bands to find out how each is better or worse at certain things. But its just too many people have this underlying aim of trying to decide whats better overall, and failing to recognise that what they are really saying is "what music is better for me?".

Its certainly interesting to talk about in what ways Opeth are better than Dark Tranquillity, and vice versa, for example. But elitism is when after that someone makes a decision about what is better to listen to... when they call bands shit because it doesnt achieve what they are looking for in music.

The things id like most people to realise is how hard it is to judge music you dont personally get into, how much your taste will affect your opinion, how many different ways there are for music to be good and bad, and that underneath it all there are just humans so nothing can be too godly.

Sorry if this post was incomprehensible, i wrote it in tiny little bits over a couple of hours while i was busy doing numerous other things. And ive written so much i cant be bothered rereading and fixing it at the moment. :)

YoYoGakk: good post. It said something I've often wanted to say but never put into words, which is how people often scale things by complexity according to the usual take on "progressiveness". Also, I see a lot of people scaling everything from bad to good by that same criteria. So many times I've seen people say the equivelant of "Oh, <band> plays all in 4/4, they must suck and not even know how to play their instruments!" Not so much here because Opeth doesn't come off as a greatly technical band.

Responding in general to the thread now...

About the "higher level of music listening", it's true that long songs with a lot of stuff going on, or anything out of your usual mold makes you listen differently to everything and appreciate what a lot of people might pass off as uninteresting. So that seems right. It just sounds pretentious to put it that way.

It's also not necessarily true that pop songs will get boring after a few listens. Some songs are kind of empty and you don't care after hearing it a couple times even though you loved it at first, but that goes for anything. It's independent of how many scales the guy playing the song knows from how the same melody and lyrics and rhythm will stir you 3 years from now.

I had some other things to say, but the thoughts didn't form right in words, so you're saved from a long post.

I think what you say is all true, but a simpler way of thinking is that elitism is simply thinking other music sucks. You can't be elite if you like everything, but if you think that some bands or styles of music are crap, you have become an elitist.

Here's an extreme example: you happen to think that some guy banging on a lead pipe for 10 minutes as music is shit and some guy comes on the forum and says:

"Hey Dudes! I just heard the l33test music ever! It's just this guy banging on a lead pipe, but man it has so much EMOTION I love it! Its not like Opeth shit that just goes all over with no point."

Wouldn't you feel superior to this creature? Wouldn't you be tempted to say "you are an idiot, your music is for idiots."?

If the answers are yes, you are an elitist. The thing is that the idiot is ALSO an elitist for thinking his lead pipe extravaganza is better than Opeth. Everyone is an elitist. Some people just try and convince other people WHY their music is inferior, while others dont care.

YaYoGakk: excellent post. I am sure you know much more about the technical aspects of music and likely see it better as a whole than most. Your thoughts are certainly rational and you make many good points. I will likely never have the interest to pursue it (music) so deeply on such an intricate level, but I have much respect for someone who has.

Originally posted by Infinite Reach

"Hey Dudes! I just heard the l33test music ever! It's just this guy banging on a lead pipe, but man it has so much EMOTION I love it! Its not like Opeth shit that just goes all over with no point."

Wouldn't you feel superior to this creature? Wouldn't you be tempted to say "you are an idiot, your music is for idiots."?

If the answers are yes, you are an elitist. The thing is that the idiot is ALSO an elitist for thinking his lead pipe extravaganza is better than Opeth. Everyone is an elitist. Some people just try and convince other people WHY their music is inferior, while others dont care.

Although admittingly extreme by example, saying "everyone is an elitist" is oversimplified and unjustified. You can have respect for someone and not like it. There are types of music I greatly dislike personally, but I still have respect for artists who do it well.

Banging on a lead pipe, at best, could probably only loosely be considered music. At least, by itself... ;)

I still like what I like, and you still like what you like. It doesnt make us better or worse. I just hate the snobbiness and condescension. People have opinions- thats what these messboards are all about... you all make valid points, but they are YOUR opinions. Im glad, it would be boring if EVERYONE liked only one type of music. I'll have the neopolitan, thanks. =)

I only read the starting post in this thread, so that's what I'm replying to. You make some very valid points, but I have to disagree with a few things. You say that some people praise Opeth to no end, but that doesn't make them the best band. That's for damn sure, but thats not to say that Opeth isn't amazing to certain people. I've heard music far more complex than Opeth, and far simpler. The fact of the matter is, Opeth is one of the bands that does more for me, for whatever reason, than any other band. Based on my taste, I don't see how someone could consider Opeth mediocre, nor do I see how someone could consider Yes (a great band) to be the best. But I fully respect that other people look for different things in music than I do. Therefore, I don't think I'm an elitist by any means, I just know what I like and feel passionate about it. I don't think less of anyone else for liking different things. I think elitism, which I agree is very often found on this message board, is a form of arrogance that comes from a closed mind. I guess the reason I don't think I'm an elitist is because, while right now Opeth and Porcupine Tree do more for me than any other bands, I'm always looking for new music, and I'm always open to the possibility that there could be something out there that I like more than Opeth or PT. Also, I don't look in only the "underground." In 2001, Björk's album Vespertine captivated me nearly as much as Blackwater Park, yet it's completely different. This year, one of the best records in my opinion is Songs For The Deaf by Queens Of The Stone Age, who are extremely mainstream, yet still fantastic. The fact is, music is best heard with a completely open mind. I didn't hate Linkin Park until I had their boring music drilled into my head 46,000 times by the local "metal" station, and I didn't like Opeth, even having heard great things about them, until I'd heard them and determined what qualities make their music special to me. Nearly any music around is enjoyed by someone, therefore to declare something invalid because you listen to a band that you consider superior to everything else is like shutting yourself in from a world of potentially great music.

And ladies and gentlemen, i present thee with:

Originally posted by Furious B
:Smug: ppffff ... I'm not reading all that crap ...

As we can see, this is a good example of someone confusing their subjective opinion (that they dont happen to find the topic interesting.. which is fine) with an objective statement (that the content of the thread is "crap"). A fine example of how this happens not only in music, but in everything. I'm hoping that the post was a subtle clever joke...

Although admittingly extreme by example, saying "everyone is an elitist" is oversimplified and unjustified. You can have respect for someone and not like it. There are types of music I greatly dislike personally, but I still have respect for artists who do it well.

Banging on a lead pipe, at best, could probably only loosely be considered music. At least, by itself...
The thing with having "respect for artists who do it well" is that its extremely hard to know if they are doing it well or not, if you dont happen to get into it. If its pretty closely related to music you do like then you can recognise its skill.

But then its also extremely easy to look at apparenlty similar music (lets say Tool and Opeth) and start thinking they are trying to do the same thing just because of a few similarities (which in the Tool and Opeth case is a very big mistake, as both have vastly different aims, yet ive seen them compared as if they are supposed to be the same a few times). Thats why you hear so many people say stuff like "They're trying to do <blah> but they just arent" about music they dont like.

If i completely dislike a band then i often become really intrigued when i see someone who loves the band. I then try and listen to these fans of the band and see what they are getting from it, ask them what areas the band excels in, what they get from the music, how they listen to it. Can open up some completely new ways of looking at and appreciating music. I can of course pick out technical stuff myself, but easy to miss stuff, and technical stuff is only good to the point where it achieves its aims (hard to judge if you dont know the aims!)

You can even do it with bands you already like, theres always going to be people who listen to your favourite band in a different way to what you do, who notices other things you've never noticed. Can be refreshing.

But yes, not everyone is elitist because there are many like you that recognise that just because they dont like something doesnt mean its not good (and the opposite as well), its just the elitists who tend to be noticed because they are the ones to say "THIS IS SHIT".

and banging on a lead pipe can easily be considered music... and if someone liked to listen to it then thats fine. And people do listen to stuff like that as music. Though if it was just banging on a lead pipe with nothing else it wouldnt hold its effect for long i wouldnt imagine.