Elitism/Advanced Music Listening/Long Post!

Originally posted by D Mullholand
here's a suggestion: why not see 'musical taste' as limitation, signifying either an embryonic stage of interest in all possibilities of music (what a true love of music implies), or a case of halted development - when the patient discovers something beyond 'usual' and is comfortable at that level, no desire of further exploration, no will to understand?

some make an error thinking that making any music that's superior to mtv wallpaper-pap is a radical achievement! to make something that stands out against the homogenic metal clique means almost nothing as well - anyway it's mostly done by adding a different influence (already explored with beautiful results in other genres) to the basic carcass - dressing up a corpse with stolen cloth in most cases. real music is which survives when compared to other real music, all genres.

when a group of people can see from the p.o.v. of all music, being familiar with all available possibilities and willing to accept the unfamiliar; and when they can agree on the definition of music - then it's possible to have a real discussion (share experiences and acquire a new understanding of a piece). in a real discussion, temporary emotional and defensive reactions to words and sounds can be discarded and you can actually think of music as objective, the difference in experience limited only by what you didn't manage to understand yet.

this will sound melodramatic, but when you see so many beautiful parts of the big world of music, local village authorities and idiots suddenly lose importance and you just throw them away, with so many better things to listen to.

God, I love how much more literate in english people that aren't american are...:lol: we're so lazy here.

BTW you made some very good points in both your posts, and managed to do so without likely offending anyone. Good work.

Originally posted by IanDork107
God, I love how much more literate in english people that aren't american are...:lol: we're so lazy here.

BTW you made some very good points in both your posts, and managed to do so without likely offending anyone. Good work.

It's quite disturbing really... most Europeans seem to be more literate than people living here (Australia).

europeans have more motivation to be well versed with the language, we take it for granted and simplify it and stupidify it.

we're just way too comfortable with it. its pathetic, we bring it down to a level of grunts and unintelligible slang that makes everyone sound like idiots.

Originally posted by D Mullholand
here's a suggestion: why not see 'musical taste' as limitation, signifying either an embryonic stage of interest in all possibilities of music (what a true love of music implies), or a case of halted development - when the patient discovers something beyond 'usual' and is comfortable at that level, no desire of further exploration, no will to understand?

some make an error thinking that making any music that's superior to mtv wallpaper-pap is a radical achievement! to make something that stands out against the homogenic metal clique means almost nothing as well - anyway it's mostly done by adding a different influence (already explored with beautiful results in other genres) to the basic carcass - dressing up a corpse with stolen cloth in most cases. real music is which survives when compared to other real music, all genres.

when a group of people can see from the p.o.v. of all music, being familiar with all available possibilities and willing to accept the unfamiliar; and when they can agree on the definition of music - then it's possible to have a real discussion (share experiences and acquire a new understanding of a piece). in a real discussion, temporary emotional and defensive reactions to words and sounds can be discarded and you can actually think of music as objective, the difference in experience limited only by what you didn't manage to understand yet.

this will sound melodramatic, but when you see so many beautiful parts of the big world of music, local village authorities and idiots suddenly lose importance and you just throw them away, with so many better things to listen to.

People will have music they are more attracted to originally, and they should prioritize and try to get into them FIRST... but any type kind of music can probably be appreciated through lots of listening. Some (much) more than others, though. :)

Originally posted by ham
europeans have more motivation to be well versed with the language, we take it for granted and simplify it and stupidify it.

we're just way too comfortable with it. its pathetic, we bring it down to a level of grunts and unintelligible slang that makes everyone sound like idiots.

Very true. I don't think it's an honorable excuse though. :(

Originally posted by TheLedTool
People will have music they are more attracted to originally, and they should prioritize and try to get into them FIRST... but any type kind of music can probably be appreciated through lots of listening. Some (much) more than others, though. :)

appreciated, maybe... but loved? that's a quite different thing.

Originally posted by TheLedTool
I'm not sure. I think it's possible, but it's unlikely you'd get someone to listen to music they really don't dislike.

For example, you would probably never be able to pay me enough money to get me to listen to techno. ;)

It may be unlikely, but if you start listening to something extensively and carefully you may discover things you'll love but you wouldn't imagine that they could be there. One thing I've learnt all these years is that you can never say that it's impossible to get into something. Events may really surprise you.

Originally posted by Kveldssanger
It may be unlikely, but if you start listening to something extensively and carefully you may discover things you'll love but you wouldn't imagine that they could be there. One thing I've learnt all these years is that you can never say that it's impossible to get into something. Events may really surprise you.

Yeah, I agree. For one thing, it's hard to judge any artist/genre, without hearing a full album...