Meeting Opeth at gigs???

i saw them on the ghost reveries tour, i live in nyc, and the nyc show was 18+ (was 2 weeks before my 18th bday). i was supposed to be on the guestlist for the nyc show via roadrunner records (im on the roadcrew) so i switched my vip to the philly show on halloween, me and a few friends traveled down there via greyhound bus, and saw the show, i went in before the show to put up some posters and saw mendez and i stood there and im like "its you!" (yes gay i know lol) and hes like "hey men whatsup"..and w/e i went back outside and we saw them walk by the entire line of people, and everyone just stood still and was dead silent...it was weird lol...then after the show me and a few friends waited outside the venue for them, and then we saw pete, mendez,and axenrot come down the block and we were talking to them for a bit and i asked so where did you guys come from, we were out here the whole time. and hes like "well actually, we came out of that alley way overthere!"...very nice and not american of him to tell us of the secret exit lol..then we ask wheres mikael and per? and he says "well the tour bus is around that corner, they are probobly in there" and we went and waited outside the bus, then pete and the gang came around by the bus and pete said "ill go in and get the guys" and they all come out and we hung around for a bit, and as we were walking back to the bus station, we saw pete and the gang again and i said "what are you guys stalking us?!" and pete let out a nice laugh and said "noooooo"...thats my meeting opeth story, so the moral of this story is, search for hidden alleys and you shall find the Peth lol

I felt like shit for a week because I didn't see them here in S.F.! Damnit, they where right in my fucking palm, and man, The Fillmore isn't even far from where I live. I cried.

Man, if they come over, us Opethians should at least get to shack their hands..

And to the dude who smoked a joint with Mendez at The Fillmore, bro I envy you. Right on, brother. :)

Great stories guys.

hahaha

A Reason To Sing said:
I felt like shit for a week because I didn't see them here in S.F.! Damnit, they where right in my fucking palm, and man, The Fillmore isn't even far from where I live. I cried.

Man, if they come over, us Opethians should at least get to shack their hands..

And to the dude who smoked a joint with Mendez at The Fillmore, bro I envy you. Right on, brother. :)

Great stories guys.

hahaha

Heh. A few of us waited outside @ the Fillmore. I wanted to get some more shots. But they wound up coming out a different door and getting into a car and driving off. :lol: We didn't notice until they were already in the car 'cause we were all talking and having a good time, so it was still cool.

TattooAnt said:
Thanks for the advice here guys. To turn this thread full circle, I managed to meet Peter last night in Oxford. I just did as a lot of you said and waited by their tour bus (for an hour-and-a-half; freezing in just a t-shirt).
I got a couple of albums signed and a few photos taken of us.
Unfortunately the other band members were already on the bus before I got to it (Mike didn't come out to us because he was asleep, allegedly).
It goes without saying that it would've been so cool to meet Mikael and Mendez, but Peter was really nice and accommodating so i'm really glad I had the opportunity to meet him.
hahaha i was ther too we must have seen each other:tickled: i got my picture taken with peter by some guy i didnt know...was awesome

cuntface said:
hahaha i was ther too we must have seen each other:tickled: i got my picture taken with peter by some guy i didnt know...was awesome

I was the big guy in the orange Laguna Seca T-shirt. I think I was the only person there with an orange shirt. :lol: (Typical metal concert, sea of black shirts.) "Squeek" was there too taking pics.

zortz said:
I was the big guy in the orange Laguna Seca T-shirt. I think I was the only person there with an orange shirt. :lol: (Typical metal concert, sea of black shirts.) "Squeek" was there too taking pics.
sorry cant say i saw u... well who could blame me opeth wer there!! i prob didnt realy look at the other people around me.

ur from usa why would u be in oxford?

cuntface said:
sorry cant say i saw u... well who could blame me opeth wer there!! i prob didnt realy look at the other people around me.

ur from usa why would u be in oxford?

haha! You seem to have missed the fact that this thread is about the show in San Francisco last October. :p

zortz said:
haha! You seem to have missed the fact that this thread is about the show in San Francisco last October. :p
it starts with the december oxford gig.... and i dont read them all....

I was sitting at the bar about three hours before the show, and Mendez and Axe walked up and sat at the table right beside me. I had seen Opeth a few weeks prior in Chicago and Detroit, and no had a chance to meet with them. I chatted a bit before their food came, and I asked the waitress if I could pay the bill, but she said it was already taken care of. I also saw Peter outside of the bus and told him that the Detroit show at Harpo's was the best sounding show I have ever been witness to.

BTW... The Voivod shirt Mikael was wearing for the gig (War and Pain album cover) was so cool. That was one of the first albums I had purchased as a young metalhead. I highly suggest to all you youngsters out there to check out "Killing Technology" by Voivod. That was a landmark album in progressive metal.

When I saw them in '03 with Porcupine Tree, I left a little early before the end of PT's set, and Mikael was looking out of the bus window, and I waved hello to him, and he came out and chatted for a few, and I got my ticket signed. He was very laid back and a nice guy.

MixGrafix said:
----8<----<snip>----
BTW... The Voivod shirt Mikael was wearing for the gig (War and Pain album cover) was so cool. That was one of the first albums I had purchased as a young metalhead. I highly suggest to all you youngsters out there to check out "Killing Technology" by Voivod. That was a landmark album in progressive metal.

R.I.P. Piggy :cry:

Great band. I think my fav album is still Dimension Hatross followed by Nothingface.

I've seen them many times. Back in the early 90s, I saw them headline with Faith No More and Soundgarden opening for them. :) Now that was a strange mix, awesome show!

zortz said:
R.I.P. Piggy :cry:

Great band. I think my fav album is still Dimension Hatross followed by Nothingface.

I've seen them many times. Back in the early 90s, I saw them headline with Faith No More and Soundgarden opening for them. :) Now that was a strange mix, awesome show!

I stand corrected.... Nothingface was a the album I was thinking about, not Killing Technology. (DAMN I AM GETTING OLD!) I really enjoyed Angel Rat as well. It was totally a different sound for them, but nonetheless I enjoyed it, especially the song "The Prow".

im going to try to meet them in tulsa, ok march 17th. ill be rockin' my breeding death shirt and trying to get my albums signed

demonikon said:
im going to try to meet them in tulsa, ok march 17th. ill be rockin' my breeding death shirt and trying to get my albums signed

Make sure you yell out "Like Fire" or "Ominous Bloodvomit" as a request during the show so they're all like "WTF?" :p

I watched Opeth for the first time in Springfield, VA in Nov05. I was too tired to wait outside their tour bus. When I came back home, I felt like shit that I didn't wait to see them.

I am going to Millvale, PA to see them live again. If I cant get to meet them, I will probably go to Little Rock AR hoping that I have the time and money.

Here's me smiling like the giddy fanboy that I am as Mike flashes the horns with me (shutup, I was psyched to meet him):

img11352zu.jpg