Concerts - 2005

thanx for the review :) rain sucks at open airs :( well I had rain at earthshaker, I had rain at kaltenbach open air... I'm getting used to and my shoes started to collect the mud from all over the festival world hahaha
well next festival fun for me will be wacken, but no work there, just for fun :)

Northern Lights said:
That also made me think. With DT being a very good and energetic live band, how good wouldn't they be with some of Rammstein's pyrotechnics? I'd say awesome. Imagine Stanne leaping between two giant flames as an entrance, for example. I know that stuff costs money, but I'm sure a sponsor could be found? Bofors, maybe? :p
Woah, that's exactly what I thought when I was watching rammstein in an arena about a month ago or something. Never would happen though, and that's a real shame.

anyway, I've got Decapitated gorerotted and Detonation coming up. I'm so happy. I wasnt that bothered about that gig, till I heard "Detonation are playing". Seriously, I weed. proper Dark Tranq ripoffs, but I love em all the same.

also Dragonforce is coming up

Also nevermore and Mercenary is coming up.

Best line of concerts I've had in a while. No doubt Nevermore will be my best gig ever. I love mercenary I do.

Northern Lights said:
Now, many a fanboy and fangirl will proclaim their musical heroes to be "gods". I wouldn't go so far, but I'd say that DT and perhaps Stanne in particular must be members of some secret cult with the power to control the weather, because it stopped raining during DT's gig. And for that, gentlemen of mystic powers, I will be eternally grateful.
Dark Tranquillity has a habit of suffering from a Spinal Tap moment, well not this time! Well, I'm glad you enjoyed the show and thanks for writing and sharing your experience with us.

everyone: Thanks for reading :)

firenagel, I'm not sure you quite understood what I meant by German (which, by the way, wasn't a completely serious observation). :) If you by "raping history" mean their use of Leni Riefenstahl footage or what they may have said in interviews, then no, that's not it. Few people think "Nazi" when they see Germans these day, now mostly "rude loudmouth tourist" comes to mind :D
Rammstein are bombastic and over the top, just like fellow countrymen Blind Guardian and Helloween, for example. There's a certain ruthless efficiency to their music, and also to their live show; everything is rather... meticulous. Which is another thing that is very much associated with Germans. Add to that, they sing in German. Listen to them next to other similar German bands, and you'll notice there's a certain sound to it, almost like there's a special sound to many Swedish bands. Yes, to me, they are very German.
By the way, A-Teens are americanised pop made to sell to teenage girls, they also sing in English, and as such aren't really appropriate as a comparison. But substitute that for ABBA, the originals, instead and you're actually dead on. :) They were definitely Swedish. Because of the elements in their music.

Ok, so I know a bunch of you have seen them live recently, so I'll ask:

Is it worth it to go see Therion and Apocalyptica live? I love their music, but I'm intrigued by what their stage presence must be like. As far as I can tell, they're the only bands playing (I've yet to search their pages for more info, but Ticketmaster has no other bands listed) on their respective nights, and the respective prices are $25 and $18.50 (pre TicketBastard rip-off fees).

I don't know if I'll have the time to even go, but I'm just trying to think ahead.

~kov.

@kov: i saw apocalyptica 2 times live, it was quite ok, but nothing that would knock me out of my chair. as for therion i can't really tell you, for i saw them in 1999 at 3 o' clock - it was immense, but i was also immensely tired...

I've seen a clip of therion live and it was bloody immense. I gained alot of respect for them after seeing that. Apocalyptice live is something you've got to see to believe. they are shit hot IMO. Saw em supporting Rammstein over here and they brought the house down. Absolutely massive. I'd say it's worth it ;) .

marduk1507 said:
kein mittleit fur die massen ;)

actually, it's mehrheit. :)

(edit: actually, it's spelt correctly :p )

@kovenant: therion is definitely worth seeing.

Northern Lights said:
Enter Tiamat...

you don't happen to remember anything more from the setlist? i'm awfully curious. and envious.

fireangel said:
Besides, no, I didn´t mean to choose Abba, the point is being represented by something you don´t agree with :p

Ah yes, but you can't deny the fact that Rammstein's singing in German makes it rather difficult for them to be from anywhere else (save Austria, Liechtenstein and part of Switzerland, but also bands from there have that "German" quality to them - I'm thinking it's the native language that does it; all ways of speaking are musical in a sense and that shows when people write songs - take a Chinese or Indian musician, their music is very different from, say, a French band - even if they would happen to play the same genre). Whereas my point about your choosing A-Teens is that their music is in no way whatsoever connected to Sweden, not music-wise, language-wise or anything (apart from the fact that they're Swedish), so therefore me saying that Rammstein are very German and you saying A-Teens are very Swedish is not the same thing, even if you did mean for me to disagree with it. But perhaps I'm being overly picky ;)

And yes, all hail KMFDM :D

@All: Well, I've seen clips of Therion live, and it's blown me away. But the thing is, they're playing BB Kings here in NYC, and, well... I don't see them fitting anything more than the immediate band onstage. So I can't imagine it being all that 'immense' given the venue. Now, Apoc is playing a larger venue (switch dammit), so that's fine, but I still have to check my availability for both. I think they're within 2 days of each other.

Edit: Therion is one of my top 3-4 fav bands. I'd see them for no better reason than that. I'm just pissed at the venue selection. They're absolutely brilliant (in both the american and european connotations :p).

~kov.

@Northern Lights , Were you close enough to the stage to see when Till got hurt? As they have canceled tour dates for the near future.
from the official: "During the Rammstein concert in Gothenburg, Sweden last Saturday a minor stage accident on a rain wet stage unfortunately caused injuries on Till´s knee so that he won´t be able to participate in a dynamic stage show for the next few weeks. We are confident that Till will recover soon and the cancellation is much to our regret!"

Therion are one of those bands that are very good in CD and AMAZING live. I've seen them live twice and they blew me away both times. Apocalyptica I've only seen once, and they were ok but not great.

IM VERY EXCITED! Sentenced's playing my city August 20, I had already resigned myself to having never seen them live. yay!

other bands that are coming soon are After Forever, Judas Priest, Angra, Lacrimosa & Stratovarius, but dunno if I'll go to those. I missed Deicide a couple of weeks ago, was too tired to go despite the fact i could've gotten in for free :(

Kovenant84 said:
I'll probably try and hit up the Therion show in that case. It seems that even with a reduced space they'd still rock. I'd still love to see them live in any case.

~kov.

Therion will be interesting to say the least. Are you coming to Toronto for Day of the Equinox ?