Concerts - 2005

on saturday I will FINALLY see nevermore... yeaaaah... and seems they will come to the abyss bar on their day off tonight... and next friday I'm off to stockholm, and I will see nevermore again there, and soilwork with hatesphere too and then I'll be in Germany for the Night of Power organised by the mag I started to work for... autumn is gonna be great! and I will be so out of money at the end hahaha

I´m home from Progpower Europe (it´s three days, but I was only there saturday) in Holland.
I finally saw Throes Of Dawn :loco:

Well, actually I only looked at three bands (meant to see November´s Doom, too but they cancelled..)
So, Throes Of Dawn have a pretty singer and they played my total favourite, "The Hermit". Some of their songs seem a bit too atmospheric and slow for live-gigs, though, but the major part of the gig was grand, plus they were the best-styled band of the day =)
Orphaned Land have a very pretty (and halfnaked) keyboard player and a completely bland vocalist, so I left after two songs and out for a walk.
Came across the church of the little town, just wanted to check inside, but then the Holy Mass was about to begin. I somehow thought, why not, and attended 15 minutes of church in Dutch which I understand only very little :tickled: A good choir there was, really lovely.
Back to the festivalplace, and then were the totally awesome, wonderful Green Carnation. Saw them two years ago already, but that was only partially good. This time it was mega-excellent and I´m going to buy some records of them as soon as possible. The band was clearly enjoying being on stage, smiling and having fun all the time. They had a very pretty guitarist who reminded me much of Petri from Norther/Ensiferum, only with different hair :D
There was a kid, maybe 12 years old, who asked for plectrums of all the guitarists (and as much as I could see, almost always succeeded). He studied them on stage, and for example stood a full hour completely awestruck, without moving and with open mouth in front of Tchort :D

Not to mention that there was great sound and I was at a concert without getting any crowdsurfer´s armyboots on my head and I wasn´t even pushed o_O though I always stood in the first row. Very friendly audience.

Finally outside the venue, where were a little food stall and places to stand around, I suddenly saw a Mikael Stanne-double eating his lunch. He had almost the same face, exactly the same hairstyling and the same clothes (black jeans and black long-sleeve buttoned shirt, like Mikael wears often at gigs).

I made a list of the bands I remember I have seen this year. Most of them I've seen twice or more, with a few close to 6 or 7 times hehe. The most recent two were Children Of Bodom and Pathogen who I saw last night and the night before (they played two shows in two days in Sydney).

Aeturnus Dominion
Akuma
Alarum
Alchemist
Anthrax
Apolyom
Astriaal
Backyard Mortuary
Black Majesty
Blood Duster
Bludgeoner
Carbon
Cauldron Black Ram
Celestial
Chaotic Impurity
Chapel
Children Of Bodom
Contrive
Dawn Of Azazel
Daysend
Denouncement Pyre
Descend
Destruktor
Dissension
Dungeon
Endel Rivers' Hardbite
Eyefear
Flesh Mechanic
Fozzy
Frair Rush
Fuck... I'm Dead
Ghastly
Goreverk
Gospel Of The Horns
Grenade
Inane Eminence
Infernal Method
Intense Hammer Rage
Kania
Kill For Satan
Leicohtica
Lycanthia
M.S.I.
Meat Wallet
Medadeth
Mortal Sin
Osmium Grid
Pathogen
Pod People
Portal
Project Ophanim
Psycroptic
Punisher
Raven Black Night
Rev. Kriss Hades
Sakkuth
Smug Goat
Stone Wings
Switchblade
Syphilis
The Amenta
The Day Everything Became Nothing
The Eternal
Transcending Mortality
Vanishing Point
Vaticide

There are a bunch of tours I am planning on seeing in the coming weeks and months, so I'll make sure to post a new list occasionally of the other bands I see. I wish more international bands would come play here though.

I went to see Noctuary last week. They're a great band, but unfortunately, there isn't enough exposure for them. Also, there was some Spinal Tap moment when I saw them, but nothing major. I'm interested in see The Black Dahlia Murder sometime soon, maybe in a week or five, when they get their asses here. :)

fireangel said:
So, Throes Of Dawn have a pretty singer .....

Orphaned Land have a very pretty (and halfnaked) keyboard player and a completely bland vocalist, so I left after two songs and out for a walk. ...

They had a very pretty guitarist who reminded me much of Petri from Norther/Ensiferum, only with different hair :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

fireangel said:
Orphaned Land have a very pretty (and halfnaked) keyboard player and a completely bland vocalist, so I left after two songs and out for a walk.
You are insane. Yes, that must be it.
How the hell can a singer with a sufficient, and a relatively distinguishable (as in it's not Cryptopsy-style growling), growling voice and, as far as technique goes, a good clean voice be bland?

TheFourthHorseman said:
You are insane. Yes, that must be it.
How the hell can a singer with a sufficient, and a relatively distinguishable (as in it's not Cryptopsy-style growling), growling voice and, as far as technique goes, a good clean voice be bland?

take it with a grain of salt. I simply enjoyed the freedom that I didn´t have to write an official concert - report for the mag this time and used the pattern DragonLady noticed ;) I was slightly over the top and having much fun. It was also nice not to be forced being any kind of objective or sensible, and just write how it felt.
Since I have meanwhile slight problems with loudness, even with earplugs, I also have to choose very carefully and leave out any band that I know is not of my taste in order to not overburden my ears, so it was nice that visitors were allowed to leave the venue and later come back. I take it on the positive side that I did try out a new band, just turned out that it wasn´t good for me, and then had the liberty to not having to listen.

Not to mention that I had to read about three million times "Ville Valo sucks/Alexi Laiho sucks" and so I think that three million people are insane.
:p

what u mean in "sucks"... their musical skills or their looks... about the first one I would think they are insane cause ville has a great voice and alexi is a great guitarist (even tho I'm not that much into their music)... if they talk about looks, they are totally right imo ;)

so back to the topic... today I'm off to stockholm, seeing nevermore there and mercenary and hatesphere and soilwork and maybe nile... yeah :)

I saw Nevemore last night, it was an awesome concert. We spent the remaining hours to the first train in the Cobra Bar, on the Reeperbahn, where after some time, Van (the drummer) and Jeff (one of the guitar players) showed up with some roadies and what looked to be a whore, lol.
I was home at 7 this morning but it was well worth it :headbang:

If it makes you feel any better, TFH and marduk, I saw Orphaned Land at ProgPower USA last month, and they were incredible. I was bracing for something to go wrong, like the singer would be flat, since I'd been anticipating the show for so long, but in fact it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Everyone was technically flawless (and I'm usually the one pointing out all the missed notes during live shows, to my friends' annoyance :p), and they chose all the heavy/fast songs to keep the energy up. It was amazing.

@liz: :wave:

you forgot to mention that the highlight of this year was going to a show with me. :p

Lina said:
If it makes you feel any better, TFH and marduk, I saw Orphaned Land at ProgPower USA last month, and they were incredible.
Yeah, it always makes me feel better when a person sees a band who happened to skip Finland as the only Scandinavian country, which I'd also like to see pretty fucking much. But I appreciate the effort and all.
If it makes you feel any better, I was wondering if I should post this or not.

hyena said:
@liz: :wave:

you forgot to mention that the highlight of this year was going to a show with me. :p
Actually, that was a pretty fun show, wasn't it? Aside from arriving way too early, getting kicked out, eating at Wendy's, and losing Michele's passport. :lol:

TheFourthHorseman said:
Yeah, it always makes me feel better when a person sees a band who happened to skip Finland as the only Scandinavian country, which I'd also like to see pretty fucking much. But I appreciate the effort and all.
Hey, I had to take a $250 2-hour plane ride each way, pay $100 for the show ticket, and spend $160 for a hotel. So don't give me any "boo-hoo, they didn't stop on my doorstep" crap. :p