CONFIRMED: Dio has left us :(

Westboro is a cult. They don't follow Christ, but Fred Phelps. There are many churches like them, they are the most annoying however. I'm Christian, and have never been told to, or taught to hate any individual for whatever percieved shortcoming they may have. I have grown up in the church my entire life, in the south, in a Baptist church(I'm a Methodist now), and was never instructed in the "Phelp's" manner of biblical interpretation. Was my upbringing fundamantalist, sure. But hatred was not even an option for us to consider.

You're right about the WBC. They are a cult, or more accurately a hate group. And is there any way that Phelps guy isn't a self-loathing closet homosexual? Anyway, I wouldn't associate them with mainstream Christianity at all.

But...

I was raised in the south and in the church as well (Baptist and Methodist), and while I was never taught to hate anyone, the seeds of hatred are still actively sown. You're taught to condemn gays for their "choice" to sin, to pity those poor unwashed masses in foreign countries who will never know salvation (unless you cough up when the plate is passed during Mission Week), to feel sad for the Jews who, God love 'em, just can't get with the program, to look down on our friends and neighbors who commit such atrocities as drinking a beer, listening to metal, staying in bed on a Sunday morning. The list goes on. They may not be teaching hatred, but they're enabling it.

I was raised in the south and in the church as well (Baptist and Methodist), and while I was never taught to hate anyone, the seeds of hatred are still actively sown. You're taught to condemn gays for their "choice" to sin, to pity those poor unwashed masses in foreign countries who will never know salvation (unless you cough up when the plate is passed during Mission Week), to feel sad for the Jews who, God love 'em, just can't get with the program, to look down on our friends and neighbors who commit such atrocities as drinking a beer, listening to metal, staying in bed on a Sunday morning. The list goes on. They may not be teaching hatred, but they're enabling it.
Agreed. The religious are forced to walk a fine line. However, when you consider that the Old and the New Testaments barely seem to be about the same god, it's not surprising. The New Testament teaches to love your neighbor, the Old teaches that if a man rapes a virgin, that he should pay her dad $50 and marry her. It's not surprising that the end result of such a dichotomy is a religion with many schisms.

You're right about the WBC. They are a cult, or more accurately a hate group. And is there any way that Phelps guy isn't a self-loathing closet homosexual? Anyway, I wouldn't associate them with mainstream Christianity at all.

But...

Justin, I'm sorry you feel this way about your religious upbringing. Apparently the church leaders that you were exposed to were judgemental to a degree. I was raised southern baptist, graduated from a baptist high school, but have been a methodist for the last 10 years. A person must read the Bible, pray, and do his/her own soul searching in order to know what God expects from them. A preacher only has the influence that the individual allows over him/her. Statements like yours frustrate me, because it sounds like you just threw your hands up in the air and simply said piss on it all. I could have misread your statement though. The bottom line is, I wish people would simply have their own personal relationship with God and take what men say in stride, instead of just giving up all together.

~Brian~

Just curious, how many here ever paid attention to the jackasses when they were just hating "fags" or picketing soldiers funerals? Or has this just came on most peoples radar since the Dio issue? I don't see much mentioned here about these people and what they do beside their plans for Dio's memorial.

To answer your question, I've never heard of them up until this point. The "f" word that you've said in your statement is/will NOT be tolerated in my house. Personally, I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle, but it doesn't hinder a person being a Christian. It most certainly won't send a person to Hell.

I have some Christian friends that don't think I should listen to metal, but that's only their opinion. I take it for what it is, an opinion, and I move on. I promise you that Christ doesn't love me any less for listening to metal instead of listening to _________________ (insert whatever "Christian" artist that comes to mind).

I had an alcoholic uncle that was/is very dear to me that died several years ago. I know that he loved God and accepted Christ as his saviour when he was a child. With that said, he just couldn't kick the alcohol, so that was his vice. Do I believe he is in Hell, because he was an alchoholic? Absolutely NOT!

~Brian~

Religion IMO can be (and is in many cases) finite man's interpretation of an infinite God, so obviously there can be misinterpretation of what man's role should be on earth. Phelps and his followers, unfortunately, are just going with an extreme misinterpretation of God's teachings. A good example of how NOT to live ones life.

Might want to consider splitting this part of the discussion off to the Lounge, as it's progressed beyond Dio...

To answer your question, I've never heard of them up until this point. The "f" word that you've said in your statement is/will NOT be tolerated in my house. Personally, I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle, but it doesn't hinder a person being a Christian. It most certainly won't send a person to Hell.

I have some Christian friends that don't think I should listen to metal, but that's only their opinion. I take it for what it is, an opinion, and I move on. I promise you that Christ doesn't love me any less for listening to metal instead of listening to _________________ (insert whatever "Christian" artist that comes to mind).

I had an alcoholic uncle that was/is very dear to me that died several years ago. I know that he loved God and accepted Christ as his saviour when he was a child. With that said, he just couldn't kick the alcohol, so that was his vice. Do I believe he is in Hell, because he was an alchoholic? Absolutely NOT!

~Brian~

Brian, what are your friends' opinions on Christian heavy metal, like Jacobs Dream, Divinefire, etc...?

~Brian~
pk npt sure how all this works as a reply but whatever. As for saying "fag" it was in "s because that is Phelps' thing, his words.

Might want to consider splitting this part of the discussion off to the Lounge, as it's progressed beyond Dio...

I agree.

Brian, what are your friends' opinions on Christian heavy metal, like Jacobs Dream, Divinefire, etc...?

Some of them are cool with it and some are not. The ones that aren't are the hardcore, fundamental Baptist. I have a friend on Facebook for example that flat out told me that I listened to the Devil's music. I wanted to reply back that the Devil must have great taste in music, but I thought that might be pushing my friend a little too far! :lol:

~Brian~

I agree.

I have a friend on Facebook for example that flat out told me that I listened to the Devil's music.

~Brian~

Is that Randy? He's been trying to protect you from the devils music for years. LOL He accused me of corrupting you. LOL

Because the constant picketing of American Soldiers didn't warrant this? These idiots aren't going away. The last time they picketed something about 5 of them showed up to about 150 counter-protesters. They're not going to get anywhere near the actual funeral, and there'll be about 10 of them. They're insignificant, and should be treated as such.

I hope you read my follow up where I DID mention "They deserve it, not just RJD but, protesting at the soldiers funerals."

I've hated these a-holes since I first heard about them protesting the soldier funerals. IF I was going to be able to attend this memorial service, I would've brought bail money with me. Since Wendy Dio has posted her thoughts, I guess I'd refrain from coming back home with a westboro molar embedded in my boot heal.

In response to the "just leave them alone" faction; I have no malice towards anyone personally who feels that way, and it IS probably the best course of action, but the complete and utter "pussification" of this country & society is precisely why these kinds of groups continue to exist.

From Kerry Livgren's (Kansas) 1980 debut solo album SEEDS OF CHANGE. At this time Kansas was one of the top grossing acts in the world so the record company decided to indulge Walsh and Livgren and fund their own solo projects. Livgren put together an all star cast for this project and hand picked Dio to sing two songs on this album. Quite a dichotomy: the newly born again Christian (Livgren) and the inventor of the devil horns sign!As always Livgren made the perfect choice. Steve Walsh sings backing vocals on this song.

Ronnie James Dio - Vocals
Kerry Livgren - Guitars
John Thompson - Drums
Gary Gilbert - Bass
Steve Walsh, Joey Jelf, Donna Williams - Background Vocals

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to the "just leave them alone" faction; I have no malice towards anyone personally who feels that way, and it IS probably the best course of action, but the complete and utter "pussification" of this country & society is precisely why these kinds of groups continue to exist.
I agree with you much of the time, J-Dub, but on this last point, no. Freedom of speech is why these jackasses exist, along with everyone else who has a stand to make, whether it's righteous, decent, controversial or just plain ignorant. As much as any sane person would be aggravated by such callous stupidity, they still get to have their say. I don't think ignoring them is "pussifying", but a show of strength. I refuse to let them get to me nor do I want to facilitate their hateful message by giving it any attention.
Just my view. :saint:

I agree with you much of the time, J-Dub, but on this last point, no. Freedom of speech is why these jackasses exist, along with everyone else who has a stand to make, whether it's righteous, decent, controversial or just plain ignorant. As much as any sane person would be aggravated by such callous stupidity, they still get to have their say.

What she said. Freedom of speech doesn't apply just to the things you want to hear. Let them open their mouths so that everyone can see what assholes they truly are.

The Fiddler above reminded me of hearing Ian Christie's tribute on XM Liquid Metal last week. He played a huge span of Ronnie's career even dating back to 1958 with 'Ronnie and the RedCaps' where Ronnie was playing trumpet. Ian played the Livgren song with Dio on vocals "Mask Of The Great Deceiver." A song done in between Dio being with Rainbow and Black Sabbath. It was a great 2 hours Ian Christie did. I also truly enjoyed the Eddie Trunk show on Monday May 17th. He had a bunch of quick live interviews with Ronnies friends and bandmates.

Anybody else get to hear these and/or other tributes? I am saddened we will never hear the follow-ups to Magica but eternally grateful we have the catalogue we do to always listen to.