Votes: 28 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

By Design

Reprehended Erudition
Dec 16, 2005
colorado
Recently, the people of denver voted to legalize possession of an ounce of marijuana or less. While this is a big step toward the freedom denied for years, some law enforcement officers believe that it is thier duty to continue arresting those caught in possession, by prosecuting those caught in denver under state law. where marijuana is still classified as a "Schedule 1" drug, alongside LSD, cocaine and heroin.

honestly, it dosnt surprise me that these officers have both the ability to take such actions, and the motive to deny the people of their common will. this is blasphemy! theres not a more cowardly act than enforcing according to personal bias.

but, the same group that started this movement (S.A.F.E.R, Safer alternative for enjoyable recreation http://www.saferchoice.org/) in denver are taking the battle state wide. under initiative-100 an ounce of marijuana or less would be legal for adults 21 or older.

this is an exciting time, where democracy might actually work they way it is supposed to, majority rules. although i believe prejudice and bias against marijuana users will continue, this is a essential step toward a right long since disregarded by our government and law enforcement agencies.

There is enough problems with drunk-driving, let alone legalising this, which would cause even more problems. Is marijuana legal in any other countries?

Unneeded mind-altering drugs are a prescription for weakness.

No, they will expose you if you are weak, which is different than causing it. With a drug such as heroin, I could see that point a bit more, but with marijuana... If one gets hooked on it, nothing is to blame but a lack of fortitude.

Surprisingly, though it is not my drug of choice, I think it should be legalized.

i think if we legalize it we will save tax dollars on the retarded fucks who get busted and put in jail. Its a totally useless drug though. All it does is make you less aware so people can take advantage of you or rip you off easier. Ive seen it time after time.

Demiurge said:
why do I think drug use is stupid? I would have thought this obvious. I am not in support of using anything to intentionally alter one's state of mind, to purposefully lose some aspect of control. I see no reason for such actions. I can already imagine your response, but again, as with most arguments between us, we come from polar opposite viewpoints, so my forthcoming retort will likely continue the stalemate.

Mind altering drugs are interesting insomuch as they tune the mind into another reality (I use "reality" in a loose sense) and i see no reason to assume that other reality to be negative.

The hypocrisy surrounding recreational drug use, more than anything else, is what gets me all flustered and annoyed.

Kenneth R. said:
While the mind may be tuned to another reality, the body remains in this one, and that seperation can lead to problematic actions.

Only in the case of irresponsible usage of hallucinogenic drugs. This problem, by the way, is greatly overestimated(PCP madness, LSD users trying to stop trains, etc.). It's really quite rare. In the case of marijuana, of course, this doesn't even apply.

If you've ever worked in a hospital you'll soon see why drugs are illegal. You get some really fucked up people, and its just horrible to see what drugs have done to them. Even if marijuana doesn't have quite this effect, it's a stepping stone to worse things.

LittleLucifer said:
If you've ever worked in a hospital you'll soon see why drugs are illegal. You get some really fucked up people, and its just horrible to see what drugs have done to them. Even if marijuana doesn't have quite this effect, it's a stepping stone to worse things.

It is difficult to argue in favor of that point. If it is the case that people who smoked marijuana at some point are more likely to use harder drugs than people who never smoked it, this doesn't prove that marijuana usage caused the usage of heavier drugs. an article with a differing perspective: http://www.pdxnorml.org/gateway.html

You make a good point, I was considering one of my friends the other day. I wondered to myself, "Was he stupid even before he was a druggie?". He's a good guy, actually the nicest guy I think I know .. but he definitely injured himself somewhere along the way.

That said, I don't however agree with the second part of your statement in that Marijuana is "gateway" drug. I know a lot of people who only use Marijuana, one such person who has a sever degenerating bone condition and will likely end up in a wheelchair in just a few years. The doctors are amazed, he tells me, that he feels little to no pain; he claims the Mairjuana is definitly benefiting his condition.

The final part here is that assuming health is the primary motivation for it's ban in the first place (which I don't believe but that's another story) the govt should be consistant and either take all alcohol and cigarettes off the shelves, or legalize Marijuana. Like one person said above, people are needlessly being marked as criminals and weighing down the system. Also, I certaintly don't believe the Govt has a right to tell any citizen what they can and cannot do, so long as the practice does not injury anyone else.

Let's face it, in life we make a lot of choices that will eventually determine our fate. This choice is no different. The Govt has no right at all to tell you what levels of awareness you are aloud to experience.

Of course, health is not the primary motivator. If there were marijuana lobbyists with enough influence, marijuana would be legal. Cigarettes are utterly pernicious, yet I don't see the tobacco industry being quashed.

I firmly believe that people should temper their appetites. However, there comes a point that personal responsibility must take over and this is instilled by proper education, not governmental micromanagement. People are capable of exercising moderation if their virtues are developed. It's rather ridiculous to say that the state must stop people from experiencing anything pleasurable, lest they becomes slaves to it. Not only does it run contrary to the nature of most humans, is difficult if not impossible to enforce, but it fails to fix the fundamental problem: it doesn't create more virtuous citizens. Basically, it puts the cart before the horse by not addressing the peoples' ethos, but rather inundating them with legalistic restrictions. This will never result in change in their character and will eventually lead the state to collapse under the weight of its bureaucratic tyranny.

Demiurge said:
Of course, health is not the primary motivator. If there were marijuana lobbyists with enough influence, marijuana would be legal. Cigarettes are utterly pernicious, yet I don't see the tobacco industry being quashed..
a rather unfortunate issue I would say. Given my way, tobacco would be illegal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.