• yes

Votes: 63 69.2%
  • no

Votes: 28 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ProjectedBlack said:
Unneeded mind-altering drugs are a prescription for weakness.

what!? weak in what sense

Danallica said:
There is enough problems with drunk-driving, let alone legalising this, which would cause even more problems. Is marijuana legal in any other countries?

do you even realize alcohol is far more altering than cannabinoids could ever be. cause more problems when legalized? like less drunk driving accidents and alcohol overdoses at partys. problems like that?

people, the simple fact of the matter here is that marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol (if you disagree, im sorry, thats ignorance). now because you think its "stupid", does this mean i should not be able smoke it? should that freedom be determined by your opinion to smoke or not?

Demiurge said:
Of course, health is not the primary motivator. If there were marijuana lobbyists with enough influence, marijuana would be legal. Cigarettes are utterly pernicious, yet I don't see the tobacco industry being quashed.

I firmly believe that people should temper their appetites. However, there comes a point that personal responsibility must take over and this is instilled by proper education, not governmental micromanagement. People are capable of exercising moderation if their virtues are developed. It's rather ridiculous to say that the state must stop people from experiencing anything pleasurable, lest they becomes slaves to it. Not only does it run contrary to the nature of most humans, is difficult if not impossible to enforce, but it fails to fix the fundamental problem: it doesn't create more virtuous citizens. Basically, it puts the cart before the horse by not addressing the peoples' ethos, but rather inundating them with legalistic restrictions. This will never result in change in their character and will eventually lead the state to collapse under the weight of its bureaucratic tyranny.

Thats everything I think, but couldnt really form into words. Nice post.

People tend to associate marijuana with negative things, mainly because that attitude has been spoon fed to us for generations. Alcohol, on the other hands, is seen as a fine recreational drug, again mainly because of the way we've been told its ok.

My belief is that if alcohol can be sold to people in they hope the act responsibly with it, then so can marijuana. I fail to see the logic in being against legalisation if it is based purely on grounds of prejudice.

Demiurge said:
I firmly believe that people should temper their appetites. However, there comes a point that personal responsibility must take over and this is instilled by proper education, not governmental micromanagement. People are capable of exercising moderation if their virtues are developed. It's rather ridiculous to say that the state must stop people from experiencing anything pleasurable, lest they becomes slaves to it. Not only does it run contrary to the nature of most humans, is difficult if not impossible to enforce, but it fails to fix the fundamental problem: it doesn't create more virtuous citizens. Basically, it puts the cart before the horse by not addressing the peoples' ethos, but rather inundating them with legalistic restrictions. This will never result in change in their character and will eventually lead the state to collapse under the weight of its bureaucratic tyranny.

this has to be the most articulate post ive ever seen. i love it! and agree, particularly with the last few sentences.

tyranny no matter how oppressive will always fail, due to the nature of humans.

Final_Product said:
People tend to associate marijuana with negative things, mainly because that attitude has been spoon fed to us for generations. Alcohol, on the other hands, is seen as a fine recreational drug, again mainly because of the way we've been told its ok.

My belief is that if alcohol can be sold to people in they hope the act responsibly with it, then so can marijuana. I fail to see the logic in being against legalisation if it is based purely on grounds of prejudice.

precisely. the government has released propaganda over the air waves for years, painting a negative image in the minds of children and adults alike. remember those "free vibe" commercials? how they would say "this is you brain, this is your brain on marijuana" (as she cracks the egg onto the hot skillet)

its truly interesting how self reinforcing this system can be. being illegal, the government has been able to limit research, and awareness of the true attributes of the drug, (new studies suggest using marijuana on a regular basis reduces and in some cases eliminates pain from rheumatoid arthritis and reduces brain swelling and the risk alzheimer's. not too surprising considering our brains have evolved special cannabinoid receptors.) making it easier to spread their deceptive message to nearly every american. at least the ones that watch the government controlled radio and television stations.

the cannabis plant is an amazing organism. the potential of the hemp plant is almost limitless. aside from the buds that are smoked, the plant mineral can be made into everything from paper (imagine making paper from a 3 foot plant that takes 3 months to grow rathar than the 20+ foot trees that take decades) to parachutes and clothing (instead of synthetic fabrics and cotton, a plant that exhausts minerals in soil)

of course the cotton industry dosnt want you to know that clothing made from the cannabis plant is far more durable than that of cotton (they had a hand in its illegalization (money talks)).

Legalizing marijuana (for people 18 or 21+, in their own homes, and not while driving) would hurt the illegal drug trade and the organized crime it finances. It would prevent 'bad' MJ grown with dangerous chemicals. It would prevent MJ from becoming a 'gateway' drug to much more harmful heroin, coke, and meth. Taxation could provide a source of income for the government.

I don't smoke personally, just don't enjoy it that much.

From Time Magazine, January 23: "There is no proof that pot causes irreversible cognitive damage. Memory does get cloudy, and learning new information does get harder, but those effects fade if the user does kick the habit." Besides, is it the government's responsibility to keep you from using drugs that only harm yourself?

Vital Remains said:
i think if we legalize it we will save tax dollars on the retarded fucks who get busted and put in jail. Its a totally useless drug though. All it does is make you less aware so people can take advantage of you or rip you off easier. Ive seen it time after time.

is it because of the "retarded fucks" that billions of tax dollars are wasted on a losing battle or the other retarded fucks in washington?

also, stoned or not, if someone trys to pull some shit on me i guarantee i will know. its more the will of the person not the drug, in other words, if one is weak enough to let people take advantage of them when stoned, im sure there will be no difference when sober.

By Design said:
The cannabis plant is an amazing organism. the potential of the hemp plant is almost limitless.

Woody Harrelson is a great example of the possibilites of Hemp. I remember seeing him on "Friday Night With Johnathon Ross" (A VERY popular UK chat show) and all of his clothing was made from Hemp. (I definately recall him saying his shirt, trousers and shoes were made from hemp).

AlphaTemplar said:
Legalizing marijuana (for people 18 or 21+, in their own homes, and not while driving) would hurt the illegal drug trade and the organized crime it finances. It would prevent 'bad' MJ grown with dangerous chemicals. It would prevent MJ from becoming a 'gateway' drug to much more harmful heroin, coke, and meth. Taxation could provide a source of income for the government.

I don't smoke personally, just don't enjoy it that much.

From Time Magazine, January 23: "There is no proof that pot causes irreversible cognitive damage. Memory does get cloudy, and learning new information does get harder, but those effects fade if the user does kick the habit." Besides, is it the government's responsibility to keep you from using drugs that only harm yourself?

yes, the reason it could be a gateway is because the people who sell it also sell hard drugs. So if it is controlled then it wouldn't be a gateway

By Design said:
what!? weak in what sense

do you even realize alcohol is far more altering than cannabinoids could ever be. cause more problems when legalized? like less drunk driving accidents and alcohol overdoses at partys. problems like that?

people, the simple fact of the matter here is that marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol (if you disagree, im sorry, thats ignorance). now because you think its "stupid", does this mean i should not be able smoke it? should that freedom be determined by your opinion to smoke or not?

Oh yeh, legalising marajuana is going to bring about less drunk driving accidents and less alchol over doeses; what do you think will happen if you drive and your full of marajuana?

Silver Incubus said:
yes, the reason it could be a gateway is because the people who sell it also sell hard drugs. So if it is controlled then it wouldn't be a gateway

dont assume.

believe me, just because one could sell marijuana dosnt mean they immediately must also sell hard drugs. what if there like many others that will keep it at marijuana because they chose to.

why is marijuana always tossed in with LSD and heroin? herb dosnt belong in the same sentence as those two.

im sick and tired of this frigin gateway drug argument. why is it always the people who seem to not smoke (at least on a regular basis) that bring it up? strange.

Kenneth R. said:
why do I think drug use is stupid? I would have thought this obvious. I am not in support of using anything to intentionally alter one's state of mind, to purposefully lose some aspect of control. I see no reason for such actions. I can already imagine your response, but again, as with most arguments between us, we come from polar opposite viewpoints, so my forthcoming retort will likely continue the stalemate.

Kenneth R. said:
to purposefully lose some aspect of control?
why is the loss of control contiguously coupled with smoking pot?

now when were talking about altering ones state of mind, i see it - yes, as an altered state, but not in a bad sense. in this altered state i can view things, as if from a different angle (seeing a different side), potentially broadening my understanding of reality. to herb i credit exactly that.

that is why i use marijuana.

When my wife and I come how from a long day at the office, she has a brandy or Guiness to unwind and I usually pop open a Carona or Heineken. No harm in that. We're just winding down. If marijuana were legal, I'd only use it for recreational purposes.....to unwind and relax. Not to zonk out. I see no purpose in that.

Amsterdam is a perfect example.....I've never seen anyone walk around stoned when I've been there. And Europe has a different attitude when it comes to alcohol.....most everyone is brought up with it at meals in moderation when they're growing up. So when they reach the legal age, the natural urge to binge isn't there. Over here in Canada and the US, where the legal drinking age is 18 and 21 respectively, there is so much temptation to over indulge. Because of the prohibitive aspect.

I say legalize it and have the Province or State sell it the same what that they do beer, liquor, and tobacco. If there's quality control built in.....just like the other products.....what's the harm. Just make sure the same laws and sentences apply to marijuana as they do when drinking and driving and other skullduggery.

Danallica said:
Oh yeh, legalising marajuana is going to bring about less drunk driving accidents and less alchol over doeses; what do you think will happen if you drive and your full of marajuana?

Nothing, because when your stoned you drive slower and pay more attention to what your doing because your stoned. And most people who are too high to drive, well they probbably wouldn't want to out of sheer laziness. I drive high all the time and it does not effect my judgement or perception at all, but of course i don't overdo it, and I will wait if im to stoned.

And i'd also like to add that I have never had the urge to try other drugs, and I'm quite anti prescription drugs. oxycoten is way more addictive then marijuana, and abused too.

Danallica said:
There is enough problems with drunk-driving, let alone legalising this, which would cause even more problems. Is marijuana legal in any other countries?
good point... lets see one of you try to rebuttle(/sp) this:headbang: ...btw i voted no...cause i say nope to dope, no to blow, i think crack is whack, and i would rather smell propane then cocaine..

why is marijuana always tossed in with LSD and heroin?

Why does LSD get tossed in with heroin? It is less physically addictive than marijuana, which is mildly addictive. Acid simply isn't at all. There are no real physical risks at all if used in a safe environment. There is little evidence of it causing brain damage or even the minor disruption of short term memory present in heavy marijuana users. It's also fairly difficult to OD on. It doesn't even appeal to the same sort of user who'd go for heroin, since it offers little in the way of an escape from suffering. It tends to exacerbate it, if anything. In case you haven't notice, I like this drug.

Danallica said:

Marijuana is less impairing than alcohol, so while driving under its influence is irresponsible, it is less dangerous. This has been verified by studies and is more than my personal opinion.

Demiurge said:
Marijuana is less impairing than alcohol, so while driving under its influence is irresponsible, it is less dangerous. This has been verified by studies and is more than my personal opinion.

Ok, fair enough point. But i still think that your ability to drive, react etc... would still be effected by smoking dope for the worse

Silver Incubus said:
I find Marijuana to be my muse, when thinking up creative ways and things to do in music, then when i'm sober, I can play them

It's really a myth that it makes you more creative .. but if you believe you will be more creative while under the influence, perhaps that's why it works for you.

And I agree, though Marijuana is perhaps less dangerous than Alcohol, it is still a mind-altering drug none-the-less.

judas69 said:
It's really a myth that it makes you more creative .. but if you believe you will be more creative while under the influence, perhaps that's why it works for you.

And I agree, though Marijuana is perhaps less dangerous than Alcohol, it is still a mind-altering drug none-the-less.

That's from what source, YOU? Seriously, I am a pretty creative person normally, but I find that I think way outside of the box while I'm under. Unlike alcohol where people just get stupid and break things.

Silver Incubus said:
That's from what source, YOU? Seriously, I am a pretty creative person normally, but I find that I think way outside of the box while I'm under. Unlike alcohol where people just get stupid and break things.

Well, I studied stimulants, depressants etc. at a University level (3rd year Psychology of Sensation / Perception). So, it's straight from the textbooks and supported by my prof who holds a PhD.

Bourassa M; Vaugeois P. Effects of marijuana use on divergent thinking. Creativity Research Journal 13(3/4): 411-416, 2001. (16 refs.)

This research sought to evaluate the effect of marijuana use on creativity as defined by the term divergent thinking. Another objective was to verify if there was a difference in the creativity of regular users (60 participants) and that of novice users of marijuana (60 participants) under 3 experimental conditions: without marijuana, with placebo, and with marijuana. The 4 divergent thinking factors (fluency, flexibility, originality, and elaboration) were measured by the Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking (Form A, Figural scale). The results showed that the use of marijuana had no positive effects on divergent thinking (creativity) in novice users and reduced it in regular users.

Status
Not open for further replies.