Considering the Waves SSL Bundle. Any owners?

chonchball

37studios.com
Aug 3, 2008
Detroit, MI
www.37studios.com
It's almost within my budget to purchase the Waves SSL bundle but before I take the giant plunge for my TDM system, I was wondering if anyone here has it or has used it. My main concern is understanding how much of a difference the plugin(s) can make on my source material from inferior input chains.

I have the not so impressive Mackie 24:8 as my console. As soon as I convince anyone to help me invest in an SSL board I'll be in great shape :) , but for now I'm kinda stuck with this line of control. So my main question is if my source material is hitting some inferior channel like the Mackie or other preAmps, what kind of positive difference CAN the SSL plugins make? If I bypass everything and come direct into ProTools will the signal be clean enough to make full use out of the plugin. I fear I'd just be like dressing up my teenage cousin in an Arnold Schwarzenegger costume and trying to pass him off as a body builder.

I'd love to hear some feedback from people who have used these plugins in the past or own them and use them. Thanks!

I have the waves ssl bundle and I love them!!!
Why you dont buy the native version? I thought Protools HD can handle rtas plugins + the waves ssl stuff isnt that cpu hungry.

If you are recording with 44.100hz and 24bit you are fine:)
Also I dont know what the SNR of the mackie is, you use. I use the mackie onyx 1640 and I´m very happy with the outcome!!!

I bought the ssl bundle when it came out and for my personal tastes the only plug I use consistently use is the master buss compressor. Don't get me wrong, the channel strip is nice as well. The equalizer it offers is quite good but but I'm not a fan of the compressor on it. It's far too limited for metal anyway...

I much prefer and recommend the API bundle. I get alot more use out of it and have never regretted that purchase for a moment. I haven't even demoed the Neve bundle due to a few sources I trust not being too stoked on it.

When recording at home with the firepod I've noticed that most plugins that provide harmonic distortion will give you a tiny bit of additional focus to tracks recorded with inferior preamps but it's not life changing. I would put your money towards some good preamps as a start.

Well, what the SSL tends to do is give you a bit of a clinical, sharp, airy vibe. It may not be the best pack to combine with super clean, or inferior preamps, but for what it's worth I pull out one of those plug-ins on almost every source. You can bet your ass I'll have the channel strip on every channel of drums. I used to experiment with the URS CSP instead on vocals to break things up but I realized that the SSL is just better. The master bus comp is nice. Not exactly a substitute for the real thing, but it will get the job done. The API one is a bit more versatile, but also a bit cleaner and I suppose less vibey from my use. The V-series can thicken your tracks out somewhat. I find the SSL just happens to be most suited to my workflow and those whose style I learn from/emulate the most.

Basically, if you took the SSL pack away from me, I'd have a bit of trouble mixing. That's how reliant I've grown on it.

I love the ssl bundle, the eqs are amazing and there are really no limits except for the attack time on the channel strip's compressor. The chris lord alge settings are fun to tweak as well. It's definatley worth the dough, you can put a plug in on every channel and have your self an "itb" ssl board for 1500 bucks! and they are sooo much like the real ssl boards:)

I'd love to hear a side-by-side comparison of the Waves against the real board. Taking into account of course each board has its own nuances and individual sound. Maybe a complex source really being crunched and EQ'd. If anything I imagine ITB would fall apart on the compression side of things, and perhaps on the suaveness of the high boost (if any SSL board can be attributed such a characteristic in the first place).

I'd love to hear a side-by-side comparison of the Waves against the real board. Taking into account of course each board has its own nuances and individual sound. Maybe a complex source really being crunched and EQ'd. If anything I imagine ITB would fall apart on the compression side of things, and perhaps on the suaveness of the high boost (if any SSL board can be attributed such a characteristic in the first place).

I believe there was a comparison done by Digidesign using SSL boards and the SSL plugs. Not sure where it is though. If you search you can probably find it.

I recently got the studio bundle that comes with the SSL, API, and V plugins. Originally I got it mostly for the SSL and API plugins, but I must say after trying out the V plugs I fell in love with them!
They have such a nice warm quality to them. The SSL and API strips are much harsher in comparison. Don't get me wrong they're great plugins, but I find that on most instruments they coloured the sound a little too much for my liking whereas the V plugs seemed to retain the original sound better while adding warmth.
Of course the fact that I recorded the guitars and bass direct with a POD X3 probably didn't help! So perhaps the SSL and API plugs are better suited for miced instruments with non digital sound sources.

I used them all for my last project. But if I had to choose just one set I'd definetely stick with the V plugs.

This really is a testament to subjectivity!

Charlie E.: I think I'm gonna demo the v series plugs just to see first hand what they are like. Come to think of it all the negative things I've heard about them have been directed at the compressor.

While I love the compressor on the Channelstrip, I do find it a bummer that there is only a slow and fast setting and that it automatically does the make up gain. The problem is on the slow attack(which seems about 10ms-15ms) your definitely letting some of the transient go through, which is great for smack, but with the automatic make up gain it sometimes gives you a little more make up than you needed and your constantly turning down the master fader.

But you can put the master bus comp on the track instead...no biggie.

That being said..like a few of you have mentioned......can't live without them. That and the Phoenix plug's.

This really is a testament to subjectivity!

Charlie E.: I think I'm gonna demo the v series plugs just to see first hand what they are like. Come to think of it all the negative things I've heard about them have been directed at the compressor.

I encourage you to try them out. I demoed only the SSL and API plugs so imagine how silly I felt in the end :) Glad I got the bundle.

yeah the ssl is the shit. as ermz said the channel strip ends up on pretty much every drum track and most other tracks as well. the eq is pretty good too and the bus comp is what i use for mixes. its not the real thing but very good plug ins and emulations. i believe even andy uses the waves ssl bus comp time to time.

Get the RTAS version and with the rest of the money buy a Mackie big knob or a presonus monitor section. Bypassing the desk all together. Thats what i would do. But as far as the sound of the plugs, they are great, channel strip is used on most channels. Very hard sounding eq, brittle and icy in the top but great for my taste. The comp is also great for things like bass, not just good on the 2 buss

The UAD are realllllly good!!!

You dont have to pay for WUP tho, you can get at least a few years out of the plugins before you have to upgrade and get WUP-raped.

I believe there was a comparison done by Digidesign using SSL boards and the SSL plugs. Not sure where it is though. If you search you can probably find it.

If you and I are thinking about the same thing... My friend told me that he heard that the Waves bus compressor was put against the real deal, the phase was flipped on one of the tracks, and there was somewhere in the 40dB range of cancellation.

I've played with the SSL Compressors and like them a lot but the API-2500 Compressor is like the only compressor I use now.

Check out the new uad plugins . Fuck WUP

Well on that note we could also say 'fuck overpriced dongles'. Neither of these two companies are doing it the right way IMO. The best model is what the small indie developers like Stillwell do. Don't screw your users -price your plug-ins modestly so people WILL purchase them and not harbor resentment against you.

I would say FUCK dongles:)
Also I got IR-L, L3 Ultra and L3LL ultra, H-comp, H-delay, MaxxVolume, MV-2, Waves Tune-L, and some more for just paying 200€ for WUP.

First I also thought, WUP=WTF
but after realizing that I´ll get all this great plugins for free, my choice was made.
Plus: You never HAVE TO pay WUP. When you buy a bundle you get 1year WUP for free. If this year is over, you still can use the bundle without any lost.

When you realize you need an update after 5 years you only pay max of 250$ for one bundle. (and then you are WUPed the full year)

I only WUP if my 2 bundles getting new plugins.
I´m still hoping that the fairchild and pultec emulations will be part of my studio-classics bundle, and hopefully till may 2010:)

cheers