contest: paid job, black/death metal w/ violin

Gotta love it how every now and then a guy comes to the forums, starts a competion AND a huge discussion/argument, then disappears again.

The last time I was foolish enough to participate in such a competition, everything was going great and I even did three revisions for the band because they asked, thinking I was "in the money", and all of a sudden they cut all communication and much later I found out they had picked someone else (not from the forum, I reckon) without even bothering to give feedback on the last revision they asked for :loco:

Yeah that happens most of the times. Still I maintain that it's not time wasted and I wouldn't call anyone participating 'foolish'. Even if you're experienced and have a load of other work.

I actually gave it a shot because I haven't worked with a band in that particular style (and the violin was tempting), even though I'm actively working on 3 other bands simultaneously.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1891957/kingdoms-demo.mp3

we are all still following the thread with great interest, I just haven't logged in since then...

there have been lots of great entries (also lots of them via PM as I've just seen), but I think it would be unwise to name any favorites at this time...

regarding the rest of the discussion: please remember that any participation here is absolutely voluntary... nobody is forcing anyone to do anything here :)... it seems that we've raised enough of a shitstorm already, so I won't comment on that any more.

edit:

@ phnx: If I like how it turns out, would it be possible to keep it in my porfolio (if I ever get my ass up and get some things together )? I'll credit your band of course in that case
yes, that's no problem :)

edit2:
The lack of feedback on the mixes makes it even more stupid.
I've also received many emails requesting feedback on the mixes, but this could bring with it more problems. I will gladly give any feedback to a mix once the contest is over but will refrain from doing so now, as not to give anyone any advantages. I hope this understandable. I also wan't to avoid the problem Jarkko raised, of letting people doing many revisions only to choose another winner at the end.

Not giving feedback and guidance is a double-edged sword, though.

You can choose someone who's got similar preferences tone-wise but doesn't have what it takes to make the mix work and you can ignore people who are better at mixing but have started with a testmix that's not quite in the direction you envisage.

Not giving feedback and guidance is a double-edged sword, though.

You can choose someone who's got similar preferences tone-wise but doesn't have what it takes to make the mix work and you can ignore people who are better at mixing but have started with a testmix that's not quite in the direction you envisage.

The feedback will come right after we have chosen. At least we already have a few favorites.
And after getting many mixes right now I don't think this will help all of us if the mixer putting more effort on this even if it's not sure if they do the job in the end.

Considering the amount of work an AE has to put in to get the lazy bands of today sounding good I'm struggling to see why they shouldn't be made pay well for the services. I'm old enough to remember a time when bands had their shit together before entering the studio, when there was no 8 hour drum editing sessions, no auto tuning a fucking crow, no reamping a dozen times adjusting the presence alone, and you know music still sounded good then. You could charge low rates then and get the job done in no time and so everyone won. Now with the amount of work involved it's just not worth it unless you're compensated fairly.

Fuckin A!

Something scares me from a band point of view.

Let's say, $2000 seems a lot to most bands here, even if they are serious about their music.
Let's say, the album is a 2 years effort of writing, rehearsing, maybe playing a few gigs locally, spending countless hours of guitar/bass/drum playing.
Let's say the band is made of 4 members at least.

That makes, in 2 years, $250 a year a member, which is around 20 bucks a month per member.

If one thinks music drives his life, I don't really understand why he is so unwilling to pay for his own music quality, for what can be achieved by saving a little money each month.

Now you can add that there could be a label behind the production paying a lot of what this costs. That could realistically make this fall to being equivalent to saving $5 / member / month to have a decent sounding record.

EDIT : First when I went here and started understanding music production, I thought I would have fun by doing the cheap bedroom warrior locally. Since, I have understood a few of the mechanisms of the industry, even lived a few of them myself (mixed cheap for a "friend", even told him I would not do it for free, it was agreed, but in the end it never ended.) and decided I would probably go straight to the "at least a little serious" level by buying everything, getting legit, and charging what I diserve. Even if I'm not as good as a lot of people here.

Although, recently, a friend got paid $150 for a 6 hour DJing animation at a local party. He even tells himself he almost basically hits play/pause the good songs since most of what people ask is 80's fun music. And even when he actually mixes, it's damn easy (I was able to do it myself routing a 4x4 midi drumpad to some DJing software with midilearn functions and recorded a 20mn mix at once). When he looks at my reaper sessions, he says it's incredibly more difficult. So now I actually think mixing well should be paid well. Even if I don't wanna make it my first income.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9944307/testmix king.mp3

Day off work yesterday so 6 hour mix attempt. I tried for a spaghetti western meets "orion" for the intro :)
Did the drums last and kinda run out of time... comments appreciated cos i normally mix electronica but i have been lurking here for years.
thanks

oh.. forgot to say done with headphones

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9944307/testmix king.mp3

Day off work yesterday so 6 hour mix attempt. I tried for a spaghetti western meets "orion" for the intro :)
Did the drums last and kinda run out of time... comments appreciated cos i normally mix electronica but i have been lurking here for years.
thanks

oh.. forgot to say done with headphones

What did you do with the drums? Sounds like Machine-gun-mode-ON and quantized to hell...sorry ;)

hehe, thanks for listening :)
Well, I normally write stuff using samples as i dont play guitar, so this was my first try at mixing some live di tracks and vocals. I practised slip editing the intro (learnt from tutorials on here) and just tried to process the di's with vst effects to get the best sound i could. Was a lot of fun but took me a while. I then imported the midi for the drums and.... had to go to bed.
I will have a crack at doing some proper drum tracks over the weekend and post the results. Like i said, this ain't my usual style, and I have new respect for the amount of work that has to go into the editing part of audio engineers work. Thanks to the original poster for the opportunity to try this out.