Controversial opinions on metal

The future of Metal is fine. There will always be the crappy bands getting all the press, then the better quality bands underground. The challenge is getting as many of the mainstream fans broken into the underground. But then we have too many people standing mid-way, one foot in a cesspool and the other in the Elysian fields.

Haven't we gone down this road before? I listen to what I like. My tastes change as time goes on and I expose myself to new things. If I continue to like Trivium five years from now, who really gives a shit? If I continue to find Human to be terrible, is the world going to stop turning? No, it isn't.

The future of Metal is fine. There will always be the crappy bands getting all the press, then the better quality bands underground. The challenge is getting as many of the mainstream fans broken into the underground. But then we have too many people standing mid-way, one foot in a cesspool and the other in the Elysian fields.

I liked 'mountain spring' better :loco:

Um...when we talk about mainstream how mainstream are we talking? Also, I think there's a very common and somewhat disturbing assumption that any band that breaks through and becomes "mainstream" (however you define that) and gets "all the press" (however you define that) is crap when obviously this isn't necessarily true. As with everything, most metal bands are crap. This is true of the more popular metal bands as well - I don't think more popular bands are more likely to suck, they just suck more visibly and less kvltly.

Maybe, but at least I didn't try to hide what bands I listened to for fear of ridicule
We know you only admit to listening to Trivium so we won't realize you actually listen to Miley Cyrus.

I'm going to lend the considerable respect that people have for my taste to Ozzman and say that I also do not like Death.

I think this statement is full of fail for 2 reasons:
1. Ozzman just doesn't like Human, likes the others - reading comprehension fail.
2. Death kicks ass.

It bothers me when people make a point of calling metal an "art form." Stuff like that smacks of insecurity; it reads like an attempt to legitimize something you're inwardly concerned may not be all that serious.

I think it's self-evident that metal is exactly as much a type of "art" as any other sort of music, and I also think the idea that it is (on a whole) somehow more or less valid in an artistic sense is silly.

That said, I think most of what metal (again, as a whole) has to "say" is banal, and that in general, metal, like most music, is best approached as nothing more profound than entertainment.