Controversial opinions on metal

Dying Fetus, Pantera, Meshuggah, and all that chugga-chugga shit is horrible and can barely even be considered metal

Devin Townsend is a completely worthless douchebag

Dying Fetus, Pantera and Meshuggah are heavy metal whether you like them or not. What else are they?

Yeah, I do not know why people rate Devin Townsend so highly.

I do not know why people rate Devin Townsend so highly.

Yeah, Devin is an odd one. His music has it's own sound because of the production & his voice, yet if you usually take what he does for what it is it's generic as fuck. I get pretty bored with him now, but I still listen to Strapping Young Lad once in a while. I used to listen to Devin/SYL like crazy though. What in the fuck was I thinking...? I think my taste grew. He's just got a distinctive voice; the guy never reinvented shit.

Terrestrial Requiem - quit with the ANUSite holier than thou attitude. Opinion is one thing, opinion as "fact" and everyone else is wrong won't cut it here.

I don't know of one ANUSite who has lasted on this forum, and if you keep on your posts will all be deleted and a ban handed out. Just letting you know ahead of it.

Other new dude, check your PM.

Regulars, you know better than with the personal insults.

Who cares if some poster believes that their opinion is more true than some others. Why would you ban a poster because he is confident in whay he states?

Who cares if some poster believes that their opinion is more true than some others. Why would you ban a poster because he is confident in whay he states?

Naw, some people can be complete dicks about what they believe everyone's opinions on stuff should be. Deron knows that. There's a difference between just staing your opinion & bashing someone for stating their personal opinions.

Whatev, I don't even know why I'm writing this :p

Because 99% of the time, it becomes a thread derailer, erupts into an insult fest, and detracts away from the original subject to the point of looking troll like.

I personally think most metal with clean vocals is nothing but a terrible joke. To each his own, I guess.

well, ok. :erk::err:

but, just so everyone else knows, nothing you say will ever change his mind btw. please do not try.

but I'm not meaning to come off as impolite or whatnot, whatsoever. it's just... I dunno, wow. o_O

Not really controversial, but...

People who divide metal into these two sub-groups: metal with extreme vocals and metal with clean vocals, and then proceed to use this as some objective measurement for quality = raging, fucking idiots.

Not a fan of tea, actually.

Coming into Metal through bands like Borknagar and Arcturus, I never understood the holy notion of keeping extreme vocals and clean vocals mutually exclusive.

I don't like power, I don't like most doom, and the occasional clean vocals in black metal are generally the ones I enjoy.
As for older death metal, and 80's era stuff (Maiden, Priest, and the like), I'm just not a big fan.
My words might have been a little harsh, considering I don't hate the stuff, I just wouldn't go and buy a CD or anything. I was just turning his words around.

Not really controversial, but...

People who divide metal into these two sub-groups: metal with extreme vocals and metal with clean vocals, and then proceed to use this as some objective measurement for quality = raging, fucking idiots.

You're right, I should like things that I clearly don't enjoy just because other people consider it good. Quality point, sir.

As opposed to the point where you defend the notion that this art form, or any art form, really, can be properly judged based on its more superficial quality.

I don't like Faulkner because he uses long sentences.

See, that just doesn't work. If the future of metal rests on the shoulders of the likes of you, then I weep for its future. Truly, I do...

I didn't say it sucked. I just don't like it. Why does me not liking it mean I think it sucks? Sure, it's great... it takes talent... whatever. If anyone else likes it, that's great, unfortunately I don't. I don't really know why I have to like it just because everyone else on here does.