Controversial opinions on metal

I listened to "Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion" this morning. I don't see how it is a precurser to black metal. To me it sounds like an 80s thrash album.

The albums ObscureInfinity cited as examples in his post are black metal. He didn't name Soulside Journey, so what are you talking about?
Point is, darkthrone have influences that aren't black metal, so saying that cf are bm because they influenced darkthrone is even dumber than it would be anyways.

Listen to Venom's "Don't Burn the Witch" back to back with Bathory's "Born for Burning" and try to tell me he never listened to Venom, you retard.

What the hell does this even mean? You suck. Jesus Christ. If you're talking about his first album, the song I just named is on Bathory's second album, and is clearly Venom-influenced to the point of pretty much ripping them off completely.

He said he first listened to Venom after the first album which is what I was saying you dumb cunt.
EDIT:and I listened to those 2 back together, he stole that riff, undeniably, but Born For Burning is distinctly Bathory and Don't Burn The Witch is distinctly Venom. He stole that riff, but the 2 songs sound pretty different.

Considering the levels of praise constantly lavished upon him for creating maybe 3 or 4 good songs and a lot of feedback, I stand by that. I don't give a shit that he invented rock music and sex, imo he's been completely surpassed in every aspect by countless other musicians. Also, he plays in a style I generally find incredibly irritating. He's also heavily overplayed. Purple Haze long ago joined Back In Black and Stairway to Heaven on my list of songs that will make me change the station.

'are you experienced?' rules, the guy's feel was first class. definitely a precursor to metal.

Point is, darkthrone have influences that aren't black metal, so saying that cf are bm because they influenced darkthrone is even dumber than it would be anyways.

by the same token saying CF are not BM at all is just as ridiculous

I'd say they have a black metal atmosphere. I'd say that they don't use the song and riff structure common among black metal bands, but to me the most important aspect of black metal is the atmosphere and aesthetics and in that they definitely fit in.

Why don't you just shut the fuck up? Surely you know that you don't really know what you're talking about, so why continue to yammer on? Do you really like reading what you have to say that much that you'll talk about anything and everything, even if it winds up making you look like a fucking tool? Can I fit in another question in this post?

As much as I love Are You Experienced, I agree that Hendrix overall was overrated. Not discounting his guitar skills but I think he gets disproportionate idolisation relative to other quality musicians of his generation because of 1) he was a showpony (not that there's anything wrong with that but it made him more memorable to people) and 2) he died.

Vital Remains' "Icons of Evil" was quite lacking. The skill level on guitar and drums is great. But it's boring and Glen's vocals drive me nuts. They're just terrible for that album. Dunno if that's controversial, but anything to change the CF, Bathory, Venom conversation.

And Hendrix was a good musician no doubt. Just not my cup o' tea.

By being more attentive to what you're listening to.

Well, I listened to the album... and paid attention through every song. I don't know what else I can do. It sounded pretty much like thrash to me... maybe the lyrical themes are a bit unusual for thrash, but that's about it.

I will listen to it again, but i am sure i will have the same opinion.

Oh, and by the way, I did think the album was fucking awesome! :headbang:

Why don't you just shut the fuck up? Surely you know that you don't really know what you're talking about, so why continue to yammer on? Do you really like reading what you have to say that much that you'll talk about anything and everything, even if it winds up making you look like a fucking tool? Can I fit in another question in this post?

Well? Can you?

Well, I listened to the album... and paid attention through every song. I don't know what else I can do. It sounded pretty much like thrash to me... maybe the lyrical themes are a bit unusual for thrash, but that's about it.

I will listen to it again, but i am sure i will have the same opinion.

Oh, and by the way, I did think the album was fucking awesome! :headbang:

Well the album is indeed fucking awesome and I'm glad you liked it. :)

I would encourage you to listen to albums such as Darkthrone's A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Panzerfaust, and (maybe to a lesser extent) Burzum's self-titled. All those albums are heavily rooted in riffs similar to that of To Mega Therion. I honestly don't see how you see them as thrash. I can understand the argument of them being death metal (since they were pioneers of both black and death metal but, in my opinon, leaning a little more towards the black metal side of the spectrum) but I honestly don't hear that "thrash crunch" common to thrash metal.

Well, I know it doesn't sound EXACTLY like thrash, but I am also not the most schooled person in black metal (which is why this album was suggested to me).

Judging by the vocals and to a lesser extent the guitars, it did remind me of 80s thrash... not an EXACT thrash sound, but a more thrash sound than that of black or death. That is my opinion after one listen anyway.