Controversial opinions on metal

:erk:
They peaked with Beyond Sanctorum

That's a pretty narrow-minded claim, seeing as how the majority of Therion's career focused on trying to fuse classical/operatic music with metal while preserving the epicness of both styles.

As far as their best, I'd go with either Vovin or Deggial. The style they have on those albums seems to me the closest they ever got to an ideal blend of classical and metal. I can understand why people might criticise the albums for being simplistic or lacking 'balls', but as far as atmosphere goes I think they can't be beat.

I think Annette Olzon has a really great voice, and in a lot of ways it's more pleasing for me to listen to than Tarja's, although 'Oceanborn' is my favorite Nightwish album by a very long way.

Annette does have a good voice. I enjoyed Dark Passion Play.

Therion are not bad..but pretty overrated IMO. I think they probably peaked within their more modern style with 'Secret of the Runes'...the 'Lemuria'/'Sirius' albums are pretty much symphonic-power-metal-lite with a shade of darkness here and there, really not the huge thing to write home about everyone has made them out to be.

Secret of the Runes is my favorite Therion album. I enjoy their modern material more than their old, actually (I'm not the biggest old school death fan). I personally thought that Gothic Kaballah was really good too.

For some reason I thought Lemuria was pretty boring. Sirius B had some beautiful songs though, especially "The Blood of Kingu", "Son of the Sun" and "Call of Dagon".

I have the conjoined "Lemuria/Sirius B" pack, does anyone else have it? "Sirius B" is incredibly solid imo, "Lemuria" is more like a rollercoaster in quality. The title track to "Sirius B" has unmatched atmosphere.

Lemuria and Sirius B were the best things post "Symphony Masses: Ho Drakon Ho Megas" done from Therion

Fixed.

Yuck, Epica... :yuk::puke::p

Therion are not bad..but pretty overrated IMO. I think they probably peaked within their more modern style with 'Secret of the Runes'...the 'Lemuria'/'Sirius' albums are pretty much symphonic-power-metal-lite with a shade of darkness here and there, really not the huge thing to write home about everyone has made them out to be.

I like the middle period best myself. Stuff like Deggial and Secret of the Runes are great. I think both the latest twin albums would have benefitted greatly from being just one full length. Thy would have been really solid if they were but now its to much filler.

I havent heard alot of their early days or the middle perod in between death and full symphony metal but what I have heard never caught my interest that much.

That's a pretty narrow-minded claim, seeing as how the majority of Therion's career focused on trying to fuse classical/operatic music with metal while preserving the epicness of both styles.

Yeah, too bad most of that stuff is bland superficial crap. Beyond Sanctorum is easily one of the best death metal albums of all time.

Just because you can't appreciate symphonic metal doesn't make it bland and superficial tbh.

When more emphasis is placed on the symphonic elements than the metal elements and it's still referred to as "metal" that screams "gimmick" to me. The same can be said for latter-day Dimmu Borgir.

It does in his opinion.

O RLY?

When more emphasis is placed on the symphonic elements than the metal elements and it's still referred to as "metal" that screams "gimmick" to me. The same can be said for latter-day Dimmu Borgir.

Perhaps you should quit worrying about how "gimmicky" symphonic elements in metal are and try actually listening to the music. For anyone who cares about symphonic metal, it's hard to find more atmospheric and well-written stuff than Therion's. Plus, they have widely varying degrees of symphonic-ness throughout their discog, so if something like Vovin is too watered-down for you there's always Secret of the Runes and the like.