Controversial opinions on metal

SOAD...is one of those bands who seem to think acting retarded makes you awesome, sort of like Mindless Self Indulgence. Even though lyrically I realize they tend to be serious. But the style is way too awkwardly quirky and nÜ for me, and I absolutely can't stand Serj's voice. It doesn't make me want to absolutely end my life the first minute it's on, though, like some other bands.

Regarding symphonic stuff, I find bands typically try to incorporate it into one of two motifs: baroque and 'film score', but not always. Rhapsody has been extremely good at sort of mixing the two but I can understand how that specific mood can get tiring. I think my favorite symphonic metal album is Luca's second one, 'Prophet of the Last Eclipse', it has a different mood from a whole lot of stuff I've heard and incorporates extremely interesting choirs and instrumentation..it's a little futuristic, and a lot over the top, just being melodically-dead on throughout it.

Rage also has some top-notch symphonic metal, and I find it kind of irritating they hardly ever get mentioned even though it usually decimates a lot of other bands when they delve into the style, people should really listen to the 'Suite Lingua Mortis' off of 'Speak of the Dead' for one huge recent example of excellence.

There's also always the more 'extreme metal' themed bands such as Hollenthon and Sympathy that incorporate symphonics and similar soundscapes.

Not metal, but Van Halen sans guitar work is just about the worst rock band from that era. Dave's voice is a horrible, horrible sound, their melodies like the ones in 'Beautiful Girls' are wretched and atonal, and Michael Anthony's backup vocals have one of the most stomach twisting tones I've heard.

Not metal, but Van Halen sans guitar work is just about the worst rock band from that era. Dave's voice is a horrible, horrible sound, their melodies like the ones in 'Beautiful Girls' are wretched and atonal, and Michael Anthony's backup vocals have one of the most stomach twisting tones I've heard.

Epic fucking fail. David Lee Roth has way more personality than most hard rock vocalists, and in general they simply rock like all hell. Since the song you refer to is on one of their worst albums, I suggest you check out the s/t and 1984 before writing off one of the best rock bands from that era.

noooooooooo, I had 'Fair Warning' and that best of at one time and it was enough for me. I will say I love the song 'Humans Being' but that song isn't an audio-lobotomy, being very very different in style from the early stuff. :loco:

I don't *like* his personality...it ruins even musically ok stuff, like 'Hot For Teacher'...well him and the lyrics... but ugh I just can't stand the guy.

If you're talking about the worst hard rock bands, AC DC need to be mentioned. Most of their riffs are three chord 1,4,5 crap. I don't like Van Halen at all, but they are better musicians than AC DC.

Never mind that they've produced some of the most exciting three-chord crap in all of hard rock.

Seriously guys, not all rock has to be mature and sophisticated in order to be good. Van Halen and AC/DC are loads of fun if you can manage not to take them so seriously.

I don't really like either of those bands, but I think they both have albums that would be considered good or even essential as far as classic hard rock goes.

I can understand people not liking SOAD/not diggin Serj's vocals, but by no means do his vocals suck.

I think this song is a good display of Serj's vocals. Verses and 3:21 to the end. I don't see how those vocals "suck."

Last edited by a moderator:
He has a really unique voice, but from a technical perspective, he isn't a very vocally able singer. I like a lot of weird singers, but he annoys me and I wouldn't ever listen to things that he sings for that reason.

He has a really unique voice, but from a technical perspective, he isn't a very vocally able singer. I like a lot of weird singers, but he annoys me and I wouldn't ever listen to things that he sings for that reason.

That's legit. But @ the technical perspective, to me that isn't an issue. Neil Young and Bob Dylan weren't great singers technically but with their songwriting it fit perfectly.

It's not an issue to me either. As I said in my last post, I don't like his voice even though I like a lot of weird or non-traditional singers. My favorite truly unusual singers are David Tibet and Tom Waits.

Since most of VH's music really has nothing to do musically, lyrically, or in overall presentation with anything I consider fun or feel the atmosphere of fun from, I don't really see how what you propose would work out for me. :p

AC/DC is a little closer. Running Wild, Grave Digger, and some of W.A.S.P.'s stuff is perfect (for me), ya'll pretty much should realize not everybody can or wants to relate to some atmospheres or lyrics. :p Feeling totally stupid isn't really a prerequisite for getting in the fired up fun mode for me.

It's not an issue to me either. As I said in my last post, I don't like his voice even though I like a lot of weird or non-traditional singers. My favorite truly unusual singers are David Tibet and Tom Waits.

yess Tom Waits :)

And I find Daron Malakian's (sp?) voice to be more annoying if I had to pick, very whiney.

Since most of VH's music really has nothing to do musically, lyrically, or in overall presentation with anything I consider fun or feel the atmosphere of fun from, I don't really see how what you propose would work out for me. :p

AC/DC is a little closer. Running Wild, Grave Digger, and some of W.A.S.P.'s stuff is perfect (for me), ya'll pretty much should realize not everybody can or wants to relate to some atmospheres or lyrics. :p Feeling totally stupid isn't really a prerequisite for getting in the fired up fun mode for me.

Yeah, I'm not saying you have to enjoy them, just to understand that for those who aren't annoyed by their attitude, they're among the greatest of their style.