Controversial opinions on metal

Well if we want to compare everything to a symphony production, then nearly all forms of modern music are going to come up short. Not really a very good arguement. Soilwork is lightyears ahead of nearly everything on the radio, not that that is saying much, but they are hardly a band to mention as an example of simple music tastes.

Yeah wellell math and school,etc.. is obviously not for me and it was my choice so... anyways. A lot of people do not like school and drop out and just don't fit in the social setting period and get sick of being treated inhuman.

A good portion of what people listen to here including what you listen to is not any more complex nor requires any more skill than AC/DC and it's mindboggling you would have a problem with a band using three chord 1,4,5 crap especially when you listen to Black Metal and like underground metal music. I listen to majority of the same music in metal you do.

it just does not make any sense.

if you're so fucking smart maybe act it and not come off like such an idiot.

yo man your cross is upside-down.
It's not actually.

As for being a drop out...how does that affect one's overall understanding, intelligence, and views on music? Hell, I dropped out. I'm going to college now... Dropping out does not mean you're stupid.

And simplicity in structure and musicianship is not the thing that creates a problem. Do you like any good black metal? Cuz if you do it's just as simple. The point is the atmosphere, feeling, etc, that the music creates. Darkthrone and Burzum are two of the most influential bands in underground metal, and they are simple as fuck. And I bet they didn't finish high school...same with Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory... I don't like AC/DC, but I do understand that they were not about being technically proficient. They were about being fun. And tagradh complains about dishing out the same shit for 30 years...fuck look at Motorhead. But I bet you like Motorhead right?

It's not actually.

As for being a drop out...how does that affect one's overall understanding, intelligence, and views on music? Hell, I dropped out. I'm going to college now... Dropping out does not mean you're stupid.

I've been considered stupid and different as far as I can remember and if so whatever it's not like I care. I would never go back to school and put myself back in that kind of social setting just to be treated that way and college would not be a pleasent experience for someone like me anyways.

now back on topic being this really has nothing to do with anything.

Atmosphere vs. Technicality

GO!

I personally appreciate both aspects when done well - as I'm sure many others do, so that's not really controversial.

Good job Orion. Fuck someone did their homework finally haha...

I prefer good atmosphere over technicality any day. Honestly I prefer music that sets a mood and sends me farther in my mind than a bunch of sweeping and ridiculous blast beats. Not to say I don't like technical music at all...

I also find atmosphere more enjoyable that technicality. And getting back to how it relates to my post that prompted this whole argument: simplicity does not equal atmosphere, and AC DC have no atmosphere whatsoever. Also, the 1,4,5 school of three chord riffs have been done to death since rock has ever existed. Bands like Darkthrone, Burzum, and even Ildjarn are far more creative in their simplicity. Transylvanian Hunger is enjoyable, creative simplicity. You Shook Me All Night long certainly is not!

There's a carefree and fun atmosphere to their music, just because you don't get it, and that may or may not be due to closed-mindedness, doesn't mean it isn't there.

I'm not the idiot here. You're the high school dropout loser.

I know this is kinda random, but you've got to be one of the biggest assholes I've ever witnessed here. Seems like whenever you get insulted, you have to retaliate by making fun of the most sensitive possible personal details you know about the person. Seriously, get some standards.

AC/DC brand of carefree=music for the "plebes".

I hope you realise that as far as "music for the plebes" goes, there's almost nothing that is as aggressive, head-bangable, and satisfying as they are. Far as I'm concerned, they're one of a few bands that simply epitomise balls-out, no bullshit rock-and-roll.

Såsom i en Spegel;7960537 said:
liking metal doesnt make you smart, in fact given how horrible the vast majority of popular metal is on average its more likely to make you stupid. at least people who like ac/dc have the excuse of not knowing any better, but you actually have to seek out your terrible music

wires and waves?

Atmosphere vs. Technicality

GO!

I personally appreciate both aspects when done well - as I'm sure many others do, so that's not really controversial.

I'd take atmosphere over technicality. Technicality can certainly have an effect on atmosphere, and in some instances technicality enhances the aspect of atmosphere; but I appreciate the atmosphere moreso than I do the technicality.