Controversial opinions on metal

The power metal bands that tried to sound like Iron Maiden in the 80's (Omen, Fates Warning, Slauter Xstroyes...) were pretty kickass though.

Sorry, was doing things and looking around diff threads. Well anyway. I would have to say I don't really like any of those bands. I guess out of the millions of iron maiden posers they probly stand out quite well.

There are few bands that actually sound like Iron Maiden. 99% of their influence comes in the form of differing single elements they helped make hugely popular, like the trademark gallop, twin guitar leads, et al, et al. Aria (from Russia) sounds pretty Maiden, and there have been a small handful of singers who could pass for Dickinson (Rick Mythiasin from Steel Prophet, Mike Lee from Barren Cross, being a couple), but the point is it's absurd to say 'millions of Iron Maiden posers'.

Still man. I mean if you look at bands like Avantasia and Edguy. It just pisses me off to see a band that sounds like Iron Maidden cuase. Iron Maidden should be rather independant on sound and all these bands fuck it all up. It's like whats the point of even listening to Iron Maidden anymore after listening to such trash.

anyway, since someone mentioned Fates, here's a controversial opinion.... The Arch albums have as much filler as the Alder albums....no, they are not beyond criticism... like 'Pirates of the Underground' starts off good but the vocal lines just drag... 'Prelude to Ruin' sounds autopilot most of the way through.....mostly it's the songs where it sounds like the vocal melodies are trying a little *too* hard...yes, certainly some amazing songs too, but I just don't know how someone could say that every single song is great unless they're totally sold out to the hype of that era, or something...

The first and last Arch albums have their misses, but The Spectre Within is perfect all the way through. Well, aside from when they completely rip off Rime of the Ancient Mariner in The Apparition, but even that song kicks ass otherwise.

One thing that's significantly better with Light's Bane is the drumming, which is strange since Ole plays on both albums. Imo he's the major setback on The Somberlain, because it's so untight and I hate his "snare-hihat fills" he uses so often there.

(naaaah, naaah, naah naah naah naah) come to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (naaah naaah naah naah naah naah) come to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Going to have to put 'Awaken' on the playlist for today. :headbang:

I do feel, however, that 'No Exit' is probably the best FW album overall. I would only complain about the length, it feels horribly short.

I'm lost. Are we still talking about power metal? Let's just move on. Lets go onto Industrial. I'll start. Rammstein, new album comming out in december. Any thoughts?