Controversial opinions on metal

Cold Lake is comparable to Angel Rat: really weird and hard to digest, and a great deal "lighter" than each band's previous material. Maybe it's because I prefer VoiVod over Celtic Frost, but I think Angel Rat is the better album; a great one as a matter of fact.

No wai, Angel Rat is insta-catchy stuff. I think it was the only Voivod album I enjoyed on first listen, actually. Cold Lake is just crap. It's not even weird (and not glam either), just really boring mid-tempo traditional/thrash metal, like a badly produced Countdown to Extinction.

Thrash is best served in it's progressive forms. (Coroner, Vektor, etc.)

I won't say best, but a lot more of it holds up better than it's more standard counterparts. Actually, most <variable>/thrash is better than vanilla thrash, whether death/thrash, power/thrash, or whatever else. There's just not enough to the sub-genre for it to stand on its own, unless you're Exodus or something.

EDIT: Coroner is best though, and Anacrusis' existence is further support.

Yeah, I was in the pit. He was right behind me but I didn't say hi or anything because I didn't know if it was actually him :lol: There was only one person in front of me the whole night, and I liked how there was almost no moshing/moving at all. The other two Opeth shows i've been to were insane

Seriously. I especially loved how no one knew the songs Advent or Forest of October and stood around yawning.

Thrash is best served in it's progressive forms. (Coroner, Vektor, etc.)

Progressive Thrash < Death/Thrash

Progressive+[variable] > black(end)+[variable]

EDIT:
No wai, Angel Rat is insta-catchy stuff. I think it was the only Voivod album I enjoyed on first listen, actually. Cold Lake is just crap. It's not even weird (and not glam either), just really boring mid-tempo traditional/thrash metal, like a badly produced Countdown to Extinction..

Instantly catchy? Nah, man. "Clouds In My House" and "Panorama" are moderately catchy, the rest of the album is actually kinda annoying upon first listen. Once you get used to the weird juxtaposition of late 70's - early 80's prog rock, thrash, and grunge, Angel Rat reveals its brilliance.

Progressive+[variable] > black(end)+[variable]

EDIT:

Instantly catchy? Nah, man. "Clouds In My House" and "Panorama" are moderately catchy, the rest of the album is actually kinda annoying upon first listen. Once you get used to the weird juxtaposition of late 70's - early 80's prog rock, thrash, and grunge, Angel Rat reveals its brilliance.

i'm so glad this forum has persuaded me to give voivod another try. i bought dimension hatross ages back and wasn't ready for it at all, not what i was expecting. loving angel rat, just checked out katorz, will definitely be buying a cd or two soon!!

Not even The Prow? I don't hear any thrash on the album and the "early 80's prog rock" is more like well-written pop-oriented stuff ala the singles from Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures. The previous few albums were much weirder in their genre melding.

Yeah, maybe not thrash, but a generic metal vibe is present throughout. And, yes, there is Rush all over that bitch.

EDIT: Hamburgerboy, what PC game did you get that image from in your avatar? I used to own that game, but I have long since forgotten the name of it. I remember it being a first person RPG that was maddeningly difficult.

Your band has the worst recordings I've ever heard, and Brock Lesnar would lose to Fedor. Brock has no technique beyond wrestling, and even then he's just throwing his weight around.

its just live recordings what do you think? Abour brock he would easily smash fedor, easily. Brock is almost brown belt in bjj, world class wrestler and ko power in his hands, fedor is not in his league.

its just live recordings what do you think? Abour brock he would easily smash fedor, easily. Brock is almost brown belt in bjj, world class wrestler and ko power in his hands, fedor is not in his league.
Fedor at the top of his game is the pinnacle of MMA fighting. Brock Lesnar is a wrestling brute with knockout power but no real technique. Cain is going to tear him apart.

Fedor at the top of his game is the pinnacle of MMA fighting. Brock Lesnar is a wrestling brute with knockout power but no real technique. Cain is going to tear him apart.

obviously you know nothing about technique otherwise you would be able to see how brock uses A LOT of technique on the ground and in the clinch, fedor would get slaughtered.

I have to agree with gundamterran. When it comes to striking, Lesnar is incredibly awkward on the feet, very amateur-ish offensively and defensively. I think he is going to get smashed by Cain, a much better overall fighter.

As for Fedor, hopefully he learned that in today's world of mma, you cannot simply just rely on your instincts. I predicted he would lose to Werdum because I knew he would attempt to do the same thing he did to Nog, to Werdum who is much better at jiu-jitsu. Hopefully Fedor will put more emphasis on gameplan/strategy for his next fights.

The last few posts have been really confusing lol. I was trying to figure out if this was somehow something in metal

Was the G-man into it at all?

I think he was mainly there to support his son and get him all the perks of being Kenny G's son.

Lil G said to me when I inquired about his Dad liking Opeth:
"My Dad likes the Damnation album, but he doesnt really like it when they start screaming and it gets heavy."

Big G steps in,
"Yeah guys, when it starts to get crazy, protect me."