Cooking

Right, the eggs should get fried *before* getting mixed in.

Stir-fries can be very flexible - once you have a bit more practice, familiarity with the ingredients you'll want to use, and *the habit of preparing everything before the first thing goes in the pan*, a dish assembled from 'winging it' can be expected to be anywhere from good to amazing. Keep at it and it'll only get better - especially when you start picking up more fresh vegetables and trying to find new ways to use them.

EDIT: A secret to stir-fry success (since your rice, although pretty, does look a bit clumpy)... cook good rice (although you want to avoid white rice, consider using it here) with a bit more oil than usual and freeze it overnight (or longer) so that the grains will stay defined and not become a big mush with occasional texture mixed in haphazardly.

Jeff

Right, the frying eggs before mixing makes sense. Would you keep your yokes intact or not for this (until mixing obviously).

As for the rice, it wasn't clumpy at all. Brown rice tends to have a lot more texture to it, once you get used to it. It's probably the egg sogging everything it up that gives it that appearance. No reason not to try that day-after rice thing though, I'll give it a go sometime.

I think it's important to get rid of any wrong respect for recipes or cooking in general.
Getting a feeling for timing when frying meat or cooking vegetables is important, first of all.

Having spent the first half of my adult life as a chef, I went to school for culinary arts and had planned on cooking for my livelihood for the rest of my life until a series of blood clotting incidents caused some serious vascular damage to my legs and prevented me from the demands of standing on my feet for 14+ hour days in a kitchen, but I digress.

The above point is of the utmost importance - one must have respect for cooking as if you don't love the process of cooking you will never be a good cook. As an example I give you my wife - she hates cooking and it shows every time she attempts it - she does not watch the food as it cooks (because there are things she would rather be doing) so everything either ends up overcooked or undercooked, she just adds spices and herbs willy nilly and while experimentation is OK, it is important to know what ingredients works with one another.

A couple of cooking tips:

When stating out use a thermometer for cooking meet and understand the various levels of doneness for differing cuts and types of meats. Always allow meats to rest after cooking to allow the juices to redistribute back to the center of the meat (it all heads to the outside edges while heating) after cooking. You will eventually learn the feeling of the varying levels of doneness.

Use this method to test for doneness:

Take your left hand and touch your index finger to the tip of your thumb (making a circle of sorts - sort of like making the symbol for OK). Take your right index finger and touch the meaty pad just under your left thumb and lightly press in - this is what Rare meat feel like when it is done when pressed to test for doneness.

Now take your left middle finger and do the same making a circle with thumb and middle finger and press with your right index finger on the same area of your left hand - this is what medium rare feels life when done.

Ring finger and thumb - touch the same are again is what medium well will feel like.

And last but not least pinky and thumb forming a circle and then touching that area with your right index will be what well done meat feels like when checking for doneness.

Also always have all your ingredients ready and set to go - nothing can ruin a dish faster than having to search for something while your creation overcooks on the stove. The first thing my chef instructor taught me was the term "Mise en place" - meaning "everything in place" from the French "putting in place". Having everything laid out in the order of use and ready to go.

Cooking is truly a joyful thing for those that like it - it's right up there with music for me as I get the same satisfaction from good food that I get from making or listening to good music. If you take the time to do it right and not just do it because you have to, you will learn to appreciate it and will find yourself making great food.

One of my favorite recipes (also a sure fire hit with my wife) is this one:

Pasta with Lobster and Pasta with Herbed Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

2 - 1 lb. Live Chicken Lobsters (you can also have the grocery or seafood store steam them for you to make it easier)
1 - lb. Linguine Pasta
2 - tbsp Minced Garlic
1/4 - cup Dry White Wine
1 - tbsp White Wine Vinegar
2 - tbsp Tomato Paste
1 - Minced Plum Tomato
2 - Sprig Fresh Tarragon
2 - Sprig Fresh Tyme
2 - Sprig Fresh Parsley
3 - cups Lite Cream

In a large stock pot of boiling salted water cook the live lobsters till they are done, about 10 - 12 minutes (If you had the lobsters steamed just start with the shelling). Once done place the lobsters in a bowl to prep for shelling. Shell the lobsters removing as much meat as you can and set the leftover shells aside for later use. If you happen to like the roe (lobster eggs) set it aside as it will add flavor to the sauce. Remove the tomalley (the green stuff) from inside the body cavity and discard. Save the remaining shells for the next step. You can do this step a day in advance if you want to - just refrigerate the meat and the shells overnight.

Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large pot over high heat. Add the leftover shells to the pot and saute for 3 - 4 minutes. Add the garlic and the tomato paste and continue to cook for another 3 - 4 minutes while frequently stirring.

Next, add the diced tomato, the wine, the wine vinegar, and herbs (tarragon, tyme, and parsley). Add the cream and boil for 2 minutes (making sure to continue stirring). Wait until you smell the herbs and the lobster mixed with the simmering cream - pure heaven in a pot. :)

Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 15 - 20 minutes (until the lobster shell flavor has been infused in the cream) stirring frequently. Once done, pour sauce through a strainer into a large bowl and press firmly on the solids to extract all the juices from the shells and herbs. Once done, discard the contents of the strainer (shells and herbs).

Pour the sauce back into the pot. Cut the lobster meat into bite sized pieces and break apart the roe if you saved it. Add the meat to the sauce and gently rewarm it.

At the same time heat a pot of salted water for the pasta. Cook the linguine until al dente. Drain the pasta and return to pot. Add the lobster sauce and stir to coat thoroughly while continuing to heat over low heat. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Serve with something like a white Burgundy wine and it will be great

Tada - my recipe for the day. My wife and I found this one in one of my cookbooks (I have at least 50 - 60 of them) and I've also seen it online. It's one of our favorites and really a lot simpler than it seems - and well worth the effort.

Cooking can become a love affair if you really like good food (with good wine too).

Here's my favourites (low carb style, btw):

1: Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) ála Yours Truly

- Put 50 g of butter (real stuff, not margarine) into a frying pan, let it melt
- Cook 300 g of shredded chicken (you know, those smaller, bite-size pieces)
- Add 250 ml of cocoa milk and stir
- Add quite liberally these spices: salt, curry, cumin (important!), chili powder, dragon (not the fire breathing one, but who knows...)
- Then add about 80 g of tomato purée (one of those small cans) and stir very well, until it turns a nice dark orange colour
- Put the stove to quite low power (on a scale of 1-9 where 9 is max, put it to 3) and let it stay there for 10 minutes, stirring once in a while

Serve with lots of fresh salad mix! :p

2: Bolognese ála Yours Truly

- Again 50 g of butter
- Fry 400 g of minced beef (cow)
- Add 250 ml of cocoa milk and mix it
- Add two cans of tomato purée, or a ready-made tomato sauce (in this case, exclude the coca milk)
- Add in some spices: oregano, basilica, salt, provence mix, a bit of chili powder
- Mix it well, then add about 250 g of frozen (or fresh) vegetables of your liking (I prefer French and Thai mixtures)
- Serve with a cheese topping and cheese, and again a lot of fresh salad (non-low carb people can replace it with pasta)

3: Spicy pork ála YT

- 50 g of butter
- Fry the 300 g of pork slices
- Add 250 ml coca milk
- Add in a whole variety of spices and such: liberal amounts of chili powder (2 tablespoons), some salt, 3 thumb nail sized slices of ginger root, some cayenne pepper and black pepper, some salvia, and finally about 75 g of jalapeños
- Mix the whole thing, and add 400 g of vegetables
- Let it cook for about 7 minutes

Non-low carbsters can eat it with rice

Eat with chopsticks and prepare to breathe fire :lol: Hi xiong jia lang, henhao! Buke qi :)

Edit:
Oh and as a bonus, my breakfast:

- Fry 50 g of butter
- Add 80 g of bacon
- Add 40 g of tuna
- Add 10 g of meetwurst slices
- Mix well, and let it cook for 3 minutes
- Add 2 eggs and mix the whole thing
- Put some mineral salt and cayenne pepper there, and mix again
- Then cover the thing with cheese slices

When the cheese slices have melted almost fully, it's ready for eating! Eat with 500 ml of water, and a little bit of black pepper. This baby keeps you full for 6 hours :)

Maybe you guys know more about it than I do , but no one in my family fucks with microwaves. But I guarantee that back in the day people would say to me that I'm an idiot for saying cigs are bad for ya , so whatev. Shit definitely can't be good for you , and making food in the oven tastes way better anyway. But shit like this is all over the internet , not saying that definitely means it's 100% true , but it's enough for me to stay the fuck away from it.

RUSSIANS BAN MICROWAVE OVENS

After the World War II, the Russians also experimented with microwave ovens. From 1957 up to recently, their research has been carried out mainly at the Institute of Radio Technology at Klinsk, Byelorussia. According to US researcher William Kopp, who gathered much of the results of Russian and German research - and was apparently prosecuted for doing so (J. Nat. Sci, 1998; 1:42-3) - the following effects were observed by Russian forensic teams:

1. Heating prepared meats in a microwave sufficiently for human consumption created:
* d-Nitrosodiethanolamine (a well-known cancer-causing agent)
* Destabilization of active protein biomolecular compounds
* Creation of a binding effect to radioactivity in the atmosphere
* Creation of cancer-causing agents within protein-hydrosylate compounds in milk and cereal grains;
2. Microwave emissions also caused alteration in the catabolic (breakdown) behavior of glucoside - and galactoside - elements within frozen fruits when thawed in this way;
3. Microwaves altered catabolic behavior of plant-alkaloids when raw, cooked or frozen vegetables were exposed for even very short periods;
4. Cancer-causing free radicals were formed within certain trace-mineral molecular formations in plant substances, especially in raw root vegetables;
5. Ingestion of micro-waved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells in blood;
6. Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions occurred in the lymphatic system, causing degeneration of the immune system=s capacity to protect itself against cancerous growth;
7. The unstable catabolism of micro-waved foods altered their elemental food substances, leading to disorders in the digestive system;
8. Those ingesting micro-waved foods showed a statistically higher incidence of stomach and intestinal cancers, plus a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues with a gradual breakdown of digestive and excretory system function;
9. Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritional value of all foods studied, particularly:
* A decrease in the bioavailability of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotrophics
* Destruction of the nutritional value of nucleoproteins in meats
* Lowering of the metabolic activity of alkaloids, glucosides, galactosides and nitrilosides (all basic plant substances in fruits and vegetables)
* Marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.

As a result microwave ovens were banned in Russia in 1976; the ban was lifted after Perestroika.

I keep tortillas on hand so that if I grill some steak or chicken for dinner I can make tacos out of the leftovers. this always leaves me happy.

Man, jesus christ, fuck using a microwave from now on.

+1, ovens or toaster ovens are the way to go. Microwaves make food taste like shit, even when doctored to hell and back with seasonings (also a +1 to that, Gareth.)

Plus, 90% of microwavable food that's prepackaged/ready to 'cook' tastes like paste anyway.

Plus, 90% of microwavable food that's prepackaged/ready to 'cook' tastes like paste anyway.

Most of them are marinaded in MSG/E621/Natriumglutamate/Monosodium Glutamate/<insert other name for it>, making everything taste the same, plus it's also irritative to some people (not all). For example for me it creates a mild headache, everytime.

+1, ovens or toaster ovens are the way to go. Microwaves make food taste like shit, even when doctored to hell and back with seasonings (also a +1 to that, Gareth.)

Again, there are a lot of situations where microwaves do better than ovens - I don't toss bags of frozen table scraps in there and expect magic, but they do have their uses and they aren't nightmarish soul-raping devil machines like JayB was blathering about up there. It's hard to learn without thinking things through carefully, and this absurd belief that microwaves exist only to turn flavor into cancer won't help that at all.

Jeff

Maybe you guys know more about it than I do , but no one in my family fucks with microwaves. But I guarantee that back in the day people would say to me that I'm an idiot for saying cigs are bad for ya , so whatev. Shit definitely can't be good for you , and making food in the oven tastes way better anyway. But shit like this is all over the internet , not saying that definitely means it's 100% true , but it's enough for me to stay the fuck away from it.

First off, you should be called an idiot for fearmongering nonsense like this without solid backing *regardless of the subject matter*, especially if in the process of this nonsense you overlooked far more serious health risks. To say that we could completely turn around on microwaves (which are still carefully checked and monitored and - after decades - aren't linked to half of what the list below would imply) because people who knew nothing of modern medicine didn't crack people open and figure out what smoking did... I don't even know where to begin.

RUSSIANS BAN MICROWAVE OVENS

After the World War II, the Russians also experimented with microwave ovens. From 1957 up to recently, their research has been carried out mainly at the Institute of Radio Technology at Klinsk, Byelorussia. According to US researcher William Kopp, who gathered much of the results of Russian and German research - and was apparently prosecuted for doing so (J. Nat. Sci, 1998; 1:42-3) - the following effects were observed by Russian forensic teams:

1. Heating prepared meats in a microwave sufficiently for human consumption created:
* d-Nitrosodiethanolamine (a well-known cancer-causing agent)
* Destabilization of active protein biomolecular compounds
* Creation of a binding effect to radioactivity in the atmosphere
* Creation of cancer-causing agents within protein-hydrosylate compounds in milk and cereal grains;
2. Microwave emissions also caused alteration in the catabolic (breakdown) behavior of glucoside - and galactoside - elements within frozen fruits when thawed in this way;
3. Microwaves altered catabolic behavior of plant-alkaloids when raw, cooked or frozen vegetables were exposed for even very short periods;
4. Cancer-causing free radicals were formed within certain trace-mineral molecular formations in plant substances, especially in raw root vegetables;
5. Ingestion of micro-waved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells in blood;
6. Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions occurred in the lymphatic system, causing degeneration of the immune system=s capacity to protect itself against cancerous growth;
7. The unstable catabolism of micro-waved foods altered their elemental food substances, leading to disorders in the digestive system;
8. Those ingesting micro-waved foods showed a statistically higher incidence of stomach and intestinal cancers, plus a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues with a gradual breakdown of digestive and excretory system function;
9. Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritional value of all foods studied, particularly:
* A decrease in the bioavailability of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotrophics
* Destruction of the nutritional value of nucleoproteins in meats
* Lowering of the metabolic activity of alkaloids, glucosides, galactosides and nitrilosides (all basic plant substances in fruits and vegetables)
* Marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.

As a result microwave ovens were banned in Russia in 1976; the ban was lifted after Perestroika.

Lists like these are great among paranoid, scientifically illiterate twats, and awful among people who spend even a moment Googling 'microwave free radicals' or spending half a minute looking up how microwaves work. Your food isn't getting irradiated, microwaves aren't going to change your DNA and give you supercancer or making Nazi portals to evil free radicals in your pot pie, and believing in rubbish like this embarrasses the rest of humanity by being the culinary equivalent of 'aliens control my teeth through radio waves and the new world order wants our pants'.

I'm not going to force you to use a microwave, but... please, for the love of all that isn't cuntshittingly retarded, do a little bit more fact-finding, a little better research, a little more critical thinking, and a lot less blathering about something no more credible than a tabloid report on mutated alien babies.

Jeff

Lists like these are great among paranoid, scientifically illiterate twats, and awful among people who spend even a moment Googling 'microwave free radicals' or spending half a minute looking up how microwaves work. Your food isn't getting irradiated, microwaves aren't going to change your DNA and give you supercancer or making Nazi portals to evil free radicals in your pot pie, and believing in rubbish like this embarrasses the rest of humanity by being the culinary equivalent of 'aliens control my teeth through radio waves and the new world order wants our pants'.

I'm not going to force you to use a microwave, but... please, for the love of all that isn't cuntshittingly retarded, do a little bit more fact-finding, a little better research, a little more critical thinking, and a lot less blathering about something no more credible than a tabloid report on mutated alien babies.

Jeff

ROFLMFAO

Here's my favourites (low carb style, btw):

1: Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) ála Yours Truly

2: Bolognese ála Yours Truly

3: Spicy pork ála YT

Oh and as a bonus, my breakfast:

I have no need for things to be low carb - I tried a keto diet before and lasted about a week because without dairy its just too restricting. And unfortunately all of these have dairy in them (butter or cream) - I'm sure they'll be useful to others though, and I might be able to adapt non-dairy versions of some.

I'ma be attempting a satay style dish tonight. We'll see how that goes. I'm not ignoring the recipes people post, so don't stop. I'll get to them eventually. Thanks Jind too (altho a cream-based dish which atm is a nono for me ><, rest is great info).

And holy fucking shit at JBroll.

I have no need for things to be low carb - I tried a keto diet before and lasted about a week because without dairy its just too restricting. And unfortunately all of these have dairy in them (butter or cream) - I'm sure they'll be useful to others though, and I might be able to adapt non-dairy versions of some.

I'ma be attempting a satay style dish tonight. We'll see how that goes. I'm not ignoring the recipes people post, so don't stop. I'll get to them eventually. Thanks Jind too (altho a cream-based dish which atm is a nono for me ><, rest is great info).

And holy fucking shit at JBroll.

Morgan, sorry to OT, but is that Mila Kunis in your picture? :tickled:

Ok Jbroll , like I said in my post if you would've fucking read it
not saying that definitely means it's 100% true , but it's enough for me to stay the fuck away from it.
First off fuck yourself , I'm not an idiot. Just because I don't have a 40 year nationwide study on hand doesn't mean that others like me don't want to hear this information.
Maybe it's true maybe not , but nobody knows for sure what causes cancer yet , there could be a correlation , and I'm just trying to maybe help someone not die a terrible death later in life , I'm not fearmongering just trying to help. EVERYONE I've known who has died has died of cancer. Besides the fact it makes all food taste like shit and is proven to take some of the nutrients away from food. So why not just use an oven? If I'm wrong then oh well , if it's true then maybe I helped someone live a little longer. All I know is after people started using these things religiously cancer rates have skyrocketed , it could be unrelated or in combination with pollution , cell phones etc. No one knows for sure , not even you