Correlation between Religion and Athletes

I'm fully aware of that, but if anyone thinks they're more intelligent than me just because of my beliefs, then fuck them, that thought is far more idiotic than my beliefs.

Could you give me an example please?
Muslim athletes pray individually when they play with non-muslims, otherwise, they do it as a team.
In our national football (soccer) team, we used to have two or three non-muslim players, but they weren't involved with the praying thing, and if they did, they remained silent, just to be with the team.

I think religious people are like scavengers here, they take advantages of the athletes' sense of belonging to spread their religious practice (and not views).
In Dearborn, Michigan, the football team had a team Muslim prayer before their game. My experience with Muslims is very limited by the way.
Robert Smith is the one NFL athiete that comes to mind. He still does commentary for ESPN and the NFL network on topics of football so his beliefs have obviously not hurt him in a big way.
I think the athletic terrain is much like the Bible Belt in that they'll be the last to evolve in terms of secular development. There will be conflict in order to convince people to stop unknowingly imposing their religious beliefs on others.

I don't think 'correlation' is the word you're looking for, maybe 'the relationship between religion and sports' would be more appropriate.

Anyway, I think anyone who needs to pray or involve some type of god in their athletic endeavors should be fucking eaten alive.

I'm fully aware of that, but if anyone thinks they're more intelligent than me just because of my beliefs, then fuck them, that thought is far more idiotic than my beliefs.
I think religious belief is irrational and illogical, but people believe in it for nonrational and nonlogical reasons. Has nothing really to do with intelligence. It tends to be that people who are educated tend to think in more rational ways and as such have a harder time accepting those nonrational reasons, but it's just a correlation.

I don't think there's anything irrational about a lot of religious beliefs, but agree to disagree I guess.

I think religious belief is irrational and illogical, but people believe in it for nonrational and nonlogical reasons. Has nothing really to do with intelligence. It tends to be that people who are educated tend to think in more rational ways and as such have a harder time accepting those nonrational reasons, but it's just a correlation.

do you think that people in middle east, eastern europe, and the bible belt in usa are not educated and less rational becoz they are religious?

EDIT : I think thanking God for your success is just a way of celebrating your achievement, some people externalize it while others don't. Everyone has their way of celebrating, it's just symbolic !

I'm not into the religion bashing but I find the whole practice of thanking God when you make a slam dunk extremely irritating for reasons already mentioned by others.

What Cythraul said. Especially in a public school team sports situation.

I am sick to death of atheists sitting around snarking about religious people as if all people with faith are drooling retards who need us to push them into seeing the correct path - if you get what I'm saying.

I am sick to death of atheists sitting around snarking about religious people as if all people with faith are drooling retards who need us to push them into seeing the correct path - if you get what I'm saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
^that video was very entertaining :)

@OP suck it up, mr high school badass :lol:

Bill Maher said it best on Religulous when he was at the truckers chapel and said "You're all smart people here, but I wonder why you all believe in the talking snake and all of that". There's plenty of smart theists and non-theists. No offense to cookiecutter by any means, but I don't think he'd say some of those things about religious people being generally less smart in public where I'm from. He's more than welcome to come here and help fight religion with me though.:)

do you think that people in middle east, eastern europe, and the bible belt in usa are not educated and less rational becoz they are religious?
No, they are (more likely) religious because they are less educated. Educated does not equal intelligence by the way. I'm not trying to be snarky and say atheists are smarter. But there is a correlation between being less educated and being more religious.

EDIT : I think thanking God for your success is just a way of celebrating your achievement, some people externalize it while others don't. Everyone has their way of celebrating, it's just symbolic !
Absolutely! Many theories of religion point out that religion is often the desires and feelings of humanities externalized. It seems pretty silly to me, as others mentioned, that an athlete would believe an supernatural being of unknowable power and knowledge who created the universe would help them out in a game, but at the end of the day the celebration is more about the athlete than the supernatural being he is thanking.

Bill Maher said it best on Religulous when he was at the truckers chapel and said "You're all smart people here, but I wonder why you all believe in the talking snake and all of that". There's plenty of smart theists and non-theists. No offense to cookiecutter by any means, but I don't think he'd say some of those things about religious people being generally less smart in public where I'm from. He's more than welcome to come here and help fight religion with me though.:)
Again, the correlation is not intelligence it's education. I would definitely NOT say religious people are less smart.

People who receive more formal education tend to apply more critical thinking to their life but that doesn't make them smarter. Personally I'd argue it leads to a more productive and manageable world view, but that's open to debate.

I could argue education can merely lead someone to apply his instructor's opinions/viewpoints on his own life situations, thereby decreasing his critical thinking in favor of "bowing to the experts".

What Dakryn said. One radical professor, especially in a generally radical institution, changes people's lives forever. My school had one interests club encompassing Moderate, Independent and Conservative, and they were shunned like the devil.

Critical thinking is an important skill, but there are plenty of good critical thinkers who still believe in religion because spirituality/religion exist "outside" the realm of logical thought.

I could argue education can merely lead someone to apply his instructor's opinions/viewpoints on his own life situations, thereby decreasing his critical thinking in favor of "bowing to the experts".
Of course, I am talking in generalities. This is also of course, my application of critical thought to this topic, not really an end all be all fact.

I am actually relatively uneducated (some college, no degree) and am an atheist. Conversely, my sister has a PHD in behavioral therapy and is a devout Christian. I'm afraid that there are huge holes in your theory, CC.
Also, I agree that the whole prayer in sports thing is irritating. I especially hate post game interviews with athletes and they credit god and christ with their game winning catch or whatever.
And Lance Armstrong is an atheist? I had no idea. I guess atheists can be complete faggots as well...