Country of shit, politics of whit, corruption etc. - Serious thread

Holy shit, I agree with Ender, AND he made a really well-thought out and fucking logical post. Not that your other posts are illogical but...just, wow. Nice.

Going back to his original point about Indonesia (in which he does mention the fact that they aren't perfect... it's all in the context guys.) and how it seems so much better when it comes to mental health and general wellbeing because they don't have a strong sense of materialism, I would just like to point out that nobody in the modern western world would be willing to throw capitalism away. It just isn't going to happen. I think it would be a better idea to focus on what causes the greed and disconnection rather than throw capitalism out the window. I think there is a specific cause for that illness, and that throwing out capitalism as a whole is rather like killing the patient to cure the disease.

Agreed. Even though I feel like capitalism is really fucking disgusting. Corporations have manipulated the U.S Government, American citizens/workers, foreign workers, and member of the low social classes all around the world. The U.S Government has ignored them and have done almost nothing to stop them because it allows them to make money for the high social classes. Seriously , fuck the corporations. I am not the best at arguing this but look it everyone. It is horrible

Capitalism and greed are synonymous. Corruption is a natural product of such a free system.

An ideal world would have a capitalistic system run by people not unlike what Hubster described, who are less materialistic. It's impossible to have such a combination because capitalism programs materialism into its dependents. We have a system which not only allows but encourages greed.

It's a damn shame that human nature, deriving from survival instincts, is so easily corrupted by want of possessions. It works to the point that we have attained a means to survive, but somehow most of us have lost the sense that we have more than we need, so that the healthy greed continues well beyond the point of survival. The result of that is a tax on resources, which are strained by growing populations. This is what I consider to be humanity's greatest flaw.

Just spilling a few thoughts out for you all.

Capitalism and greed are synonymous. Corruption is a natural product of such a free system.

An ideal world would have a capitalistic system run by people not unlike what Hubster described, who are less materialistic. It's impossible to have such a combination because capitalism programs materialism into its dependents. We have a system which not only allows but encourages greed.

It's a damn shame that human nature, deriving from survival instincts, is so easily corrupted by want of possessions. It works to the point that we have attained a means to survive, but somehow most of us have lost the sense that we have more than we need, so that the healthy greed continues well beyond the point of survival. The result of that is a tax on resources, which are strained by growing populations. This is what I consider to be humanity's greatest flaw.

Just spilling a few thoughts out for you all.

Hmmmm...

I don't completely agree with this. There are plenty of small businesses that are thriving and growing in America as we speak. Capitalism is conducive to allowing these businesses to grow, and they provide the backbone of American economy. I wouldn't say that capitalism encourages greed. I'd say it encourages ambition, creativity, and ingenuity. Plenty of business owners can operate and thrive without falling victim to corruption or greed.

Hmmmm...

I don't completely agree with this. There are plenty of small businesses that are thriving and growing in America as we speak. Capitalism is conducive to allowing these businesses to grow, and they provide the backbone of American economy. I wouldn't say that capitalism encourages greed. I'd say it encourages ambition, creativity, and ingenuity. Plenty of business owners can operate and thrive without falling victim to corruption or greed.

You are forgetting the massive amounts of mammoth corporations that are plenty greedy. They crush the small businesses.

Yes, I did say plenty greedy.

however, I am starting to consider moving to a non-western country, and perhaps sacrificing many of the things in the Western world which I may feel reviled by, but rely upon, to perhaps live a somewhat more simple, and as I see it, a more enlightened life.

I am with you on that one.
I think no matter where you go your almost pretty much fucked whether it be here in the U.S, Italy, Mexico. I cannot seem to fall into the conversation about liberals and lobbyists and all that shit:puke: because I care too little about that. Once I graduate from school i plan on taking a trip across the pond away from this country and see what i like and hopefully move. I have a good friend that spends his spare time in Poland and he lives and owns a buisness here and he loves it.

Remember
America is getting a new president soon so do your part and vote!
As for me i vote for ASSASINATION!:heh:

I wasn't forgetting about them. I know those corporations are primarily what Zeph was referring to. I was merely pointing out that there are plenty (yes, I said plenty :cool:) of smaller businesses that still thrive without being greedy or corrupt, and manage to do so even in the presence of major corporations.

EDIT: @Alter

I am with you on that one.
I think no matter where you go your almost pretty much fucked whether it be here in the U.S, Italy, Mexico. I cannot seem to fall into the conversation about liberals and lobbyists and all that shit because I care too little about that. Once I graduate from school i plan on taking a trip across the pond away from this country and see what i like and hopefully move. I have a good friend that spends his spare time in Poland and he lives and owns a buisness here and he loves it.

Remember
America is getting a new president soon so do your part and vote!
As for me i vote for ASSASINATION!

People who worship Thor are not allowed to express their opinions on important matters.

Ambition is a euphemism for greed. Either that or they are varying degrees of the human need.

My point is that we've constructed our civilization to the point where we can no longer distinguish need from want. Things like ambition, ingenuity and creativity are characteristics geared toward attainment. Greed is a desire for attainment.

People who worship Thor are not allowed to express their opinions on important matters.

Who said i worship thor?
I love Norse Mythology and all that surrounds it.
I refuse to partake in any sort of religious or cult bullshit.
and for Einherjar...He actually is married to a Polak he met her when Poland was still communist nation. He Goes and spends three months out of the year there and when he retires he's buying a summer house he's already 55 so its coming up

I think some of you are being a little harsh and making overly large generalizations when it comes to capitalism. Of course profit is encouraged, and greed and corruption flow from that. What I think you are missing is that having more than you need is not necessarily a bad thing. Working full time at a gas station will give you what you need, but that's not a very satisfying life and trying to achieve something more, even materially should not be looked down upon. Where I start agreeing with you is when CEOs get fired and receive severance packages worth billions of dollars. Surely there is some healthy middle ground.

A couple of things I'll address:

- What I'm really trying to get at is that I feel, from what I saw overseas and no doubt will see more of very soon, is that capitalism is killing who we are as people. We're focussed on acquiring things, on competing with each other, instead of helping one another, and appreciating the simpler things in life.

(Please folks, forthcoming sentence is not meant to be condescending, simply to illustrate a point)... Yes I know it sounds absurd, but at my age, generally 10 years older than many of you and having had experienced capitalism as an adult for a decade longer, and also having lived independently since the age of 18, I've arrived at the conclusion that the more simpler I live, the less pointless crap I acquire, the happier I find myself getting, and the more focussed on "real" things I find myself becoming. I feel like a better person for it.

- I guess you could say to an extent that kids in the western world aren't as happy. They spend their time screaming at their parents for more material things, eating shit food and getting fat as fuck, spending less time outdoors, being less creative, and expecting, expecting, expecting. The kids I saw overseas for a start were more self-reliant, and much more aware of the world around them.

- Cookies example above: "Working full time at a gas station will give you what you need, but that's not a very satisfying life and trying to achieve something more, even materially should not be looked down upon." But you say this, as what appears to be as a strong supporter of capitalism, and the sad thing is that if there was any middle ground, it is fast disappearing. Capitalism is mutating in greed, take one look at the buying trends of people today in comparison to perhaps 20 years ago, gluttony rules supreme. It sounds like you wish capitalism to be used with "more honesty" or something, and on paper I'm sure this is a good idea. However, the pro-capitalist human is a greedy human, and the exploitation of the system will continue imo.

- I'm not saying ditch all materials to live a decent life. I guess I'm trying to illustrate how greedy we've become, and that's made people lose their way in terms of concentrating on the things in life which really do matter.

I think some of you are being a little harsh and making overly large generalizations when it comes to capitalism. Of course profit is encouraged, and greed and corruption flow from that. What I think you are missing is that having more than you need is not necessarily a bad thing. Working full time at a gas station will give you what you need, but that's not a very satisfying life and trying to achieve something more, even materially should not be looked down upon. Where I start agreeing with you is when CEOs get fired and receive severance packages worth billions of dollars. Surely there is some healthy middle ground.

:cool:

- I'm not saying ditch all materials to live a decent life. I guess I'm trying to illustrate how greedy we've become, and that's made people lose their way in terms of concentrating on the things in life which really do matter.

Oh cool I didn't know you were the dictator of everything people want/things that matter and the arbiter of value judgments.

Yes I know it sounds absurd, but at my age, generally 10 years older than many of you and having had experienced capitalism as an adult for a decade longer, and also having lived independently since the age of 18, I've arrived at the conclusion that the more simpler I live, the less pointless crap I acquire, the happier I find myself getting, and the more focussed on "real" things I find myself becoming. I feel like a better person for it.

Cool, I'm glad you've found something that works for you that makes you happy to live a "more simpler" (sic) life, but please holy fucking christ do not impose this on other people as if it's the only way to go.

- I guess you could say to an extent that kids in the western world aren't as happy.

You could also say that this is a really really slippery slope to argue so I'd watch what you say.

They spend their time screaming at their parents for more material things, eating shit food and getting fat as fuck

:lol: you're long gone. Sorry man. Moral/value judgments ain't your thing apparently, so either go back to being embarrassingly douchebaggy as previously which was at least funny (some kind of merit) or consider that people are all separate; there's no hive mind, there's no magical solution for everyone. We're not designed in any way to do one specific thing which makes everyone happy. Live and let live, or forever remain a condescending asshat who thinks he's seen it all.

Considering you live at home with Mum and Dad, are still what, 19 or something, have no idea about the real world, haven't started your career yet, have no idea about the concept of independence, let alone any idea who you really are yet and wont for about at least 5 more years, I don't think you're in a position to say you really know much other than what you've read. Experienced? - you don't know a thing, and it's clearly displayed by every response in your above post, you have no ability to look past the literal and into the greater scope of things nor to display any humility.

It's a pity to know that few of you kids will travel domestically or internationally, will go and experience anything beyond your comfort zone, and will continuously quote paragraphs from tomes you read in college. You will stay well within what is socially acceptable in your society, yet all the stating how different you are to all others around you.

Every response I've read over the years from this group is never filled with any surprise or any true intellect, and despite how proudly some of you claim to be so focussed on your education, NOT ONE PERSON (actually I lie, ONLY ONE) has displayed any kind of independent thinking at all.

Is this meant to imply I know everything? No, not at all. I'm continuing to learn as much as the next person. Despite the interpretive idiocy people have displayed in this thread, yourself included, one thing has become apparent and that is that it is filled with mindless unthinking drones.

The funniest part is that you all think you're different and challenging, but you challenge nothing and remain incessant static, firmly entrenched with The Mass Herd, displaying no ability to expand or mature. It's quite a frightening display. And to think, you're going to control our countries and economies one day, dictate social movements and trends, and the like. What an awful proposition, and what a diluted representation of humanity you are. How worthless, were I a parent I would be extremely ashamed.

And with that, I will finish wasting time posting any more shit in this thread. Go ahead and quote, flame away, and pull each others cocks as always all you like, nothing you kids post has any substance or direction to it anyway. Fucking worthless, trendfollowing pieces of shit, the lot of you.