Cubase

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
So Joey I've been really interested in this because I feel like you could probably explain the inner workings of cubase better than steinberg themselves at this point

Care to share some of your workflow related info?

Key commands? Macros? Project settings and maybe some editing tips?

I would actually just to love to hear how to get around Cubase not letting you slip audio back in time sometimes, where you have to move the event back and then slip the audio forward in order to slip edit. I *always* have pre-record on with 5 seconds and I still get events that I have to move back in order to slip edit them sometimes.

I would actually just to love to hear how to get around Cubase not letting you slip audio back in time sometimes, where you have to move the event back and then slip the audio forward in order to slip edit. I *always* have pre-record on with 5 seconds and I still get events that I have to move back in order to slip edit them sometimes.

Very simple fix . Trim the end of the event, it wont let you slip back past the point of the last sample recorded. \m/

I will probably post a lot of little tricks here when I get a chance. I am going to be gone for a week so it will be slow getting started.

My first tip is this... If you're time stretching to correct performance based timing problems... but you run into that problem where maybe you had to combine some takes or bounced some audio and you've run out of "dead space" to work with... you can do the following

Double click in an empty space within the track, this creates an empty event. (cubase 5 only). Now, cut one bar in front of the overlapping audio, and one bar behind. Now delete the outer pieces, and then drag a box around the event left behind. Bounce selection. Now you've got the same audio you recorded, but with an extra bar of silence in front and after the audio. Next, cut this event back down to its original size. When you open the sound in sample editor, you'll have dead space to work with again. this will allow your stretching corrections to not interfere with the beginning and end of the audio.

ah. Looks like the "no more transparent events" is not the only thing Steinberg fucked up with version 6. Looks like I won't be updating to it at least in the near future...

yeah i installed it, tried it like 4 times and never again. they need to correct a lot of things before i can trust it to be my bread winner.

Very simple fix . Trim the end of the event, it wont let you slip back past the point of the last sample recorded. m/

To clarify, you mean trim the left side of the event or the right? I assume you mean the right side (the "end").

Oh sorry for the double post btw but how do you guys handle working with multiple tracks in the same session like when mixing an album (especially tempo tracks) or do you guys just save your mixer settings and import them for each individual song?

To clarify, you mean trim the left side of the event or the right? I assume you mean the right side (the "end").

it depends on which way you need room to slip. trim the right end if you need to move back(left) or if you want to move forward trim the left end.

I have a question for you guys specifically joey about the time stretching in cubase 5

when you go to flatten something you've processed I noticed that it will all move slightly, do you know if this move is proportionate (ie everything moves by the same amount so you can just offset it and it will all be the same)

or is there a way to keep this from happening in general???

Are you guys talking about vari audio when you mention time stretching or am I missing out on a feature that I overlooked?

I think I may have figured it out for what I'm doing you can use free warp to align vocals to the grid and align vocal doubles but when you flatten them therm they'll move slightly I noticed that this only happens or it seems like it only happens when you flatten multiple events at the same time I've been working In Smaller sections and it seems that flattening them hasn't caused them to move

it doesnt work in cubase 6

well it does but, when you bounce, it keeps the blank event separate events instead of combining silence.

cutting an event and opening it in the sampe editor always
showed me the parts i had cut before, i never got the reason why :lol:

it may be useful but actually i always thought this was a
bug...:lol:

cheers
S.