Cursing and swearing

see the thing is... where someone says shit or fuck or fuckin or any of those words....... they could just put in a different word that's not a swear word... and it would mean the same thing... its just putting emphasis or being angry or something...... but since its not shunned by society its ok.......

darn..... darn man i was just freakin thinking.....
damn.... fuck man i was just fuckin thinking

theres no fucking difference goddamit!!!!!!! what makes sentence 2 seem so un fucking educated then sentence 1..... its just a couple of different goddam words.....

theres no frekin difference darnit!!! what makes sentence 2 seem so un freaking educated then sentence 1..... its just a couple of different gosh darn words.....

Shit, I still get tingles when I see that fuckin' ANDERS is posting in here! woohoo! How cool is that?

Just a story: I was a bit of an instigator in high school with teachers and such (no shock there) and since I'm a newfie and I used to swear like a boat person (newfie term for "sailor") I would often get in shit for swearing in class when I didn't even remember doing it. So anyway, me and my anarchist buddies decided to start using the word 'blank' in stead of fuck. It was funny as hell! Of course, we did it intentionally to piss off some of the more uptight teachers:

"Ah man, I having trouble with this stuff, what the blank did you get for the answer?"

or

"gawd this is blankin' stupid!"

or

"this is blankin bull-poo!"

When requested to stop we just reminded the teachers that we weren't breaking any rules and if they had a problem with it then they should take it up with the principle, not us. Some teachers thought it was funny and it drove others nuts. It was a thing of beauty. I don't know why toturing teachers in this way was so fun, I guess it's just part of being a teenager. muahah

Satori the mother-fuck

im so happy that everyone has bad opinions about me

let me ask you if society didnt pound into your head that those words are BAD... would you think the same thing still???? i doubt it

and apparently nobody realizes that i can use other wors that arent "bad" and it means the SAME thing - therefore meaning people think that curses make you stupid

Perhaps one of the most interesting words in the English language today is the word fuck. Of all the English words that start with the letter f, fuck is the only word referred to as the f word. It's the one magical word that just by its sound can describe pain, pleasure, hate and love. Fuck, as most words of the English language, is derived from German, the word flicken, which means "to strike".

In English, fuck falls into many grammatical categories. As a transitive verb for instance, "John fucked Shirley". As an intransitive verb, "Shirley fucks". It's meaning is not always sexual. It can be used as an adjective such as "John's doing all the fucking work." As part of an adverb, "Shirley talks too fucking much." As an adverb enhancing an adjective, "Shirley is fucking beautiful." As the object of an adverb, "Shirley is fucking beautifully." As a noun, "I don't give a fuck." As part of a word, "abso-fucking-lutely" or "in-fucking-credible." And as almost every word int he sentence, "Fuck the fucking fuckers."

As you may have realized, there are very few words with the versatility of fuck. As in these examples describing situations such as fraud; "I got fucked at this used cars lot." Dismay; "Oh, fuck it!" Trouble; "I guess I'm really fucked now." Agression; "Don't fuck with me buddy." Difficulty; "I don't understand this fucking question." Inquiry; "Who the fuck was that?" Dissatisfaction; "I don't like what the fuck is going on here." Incompetence; "He's a fucked-up." Dismissal; "Why don't you go outside and play hide and go fuck yourself?" I'm sure you can think of many more examples.

With all these multi-purpose applications, how can anyone be offended when you use this word? We say use this unique, flexible word more often in your daily speech. it will identify the quality of your character immediately. So say it loudly, and proudly: FUCK YOU!

:D :D :D

what can be so wrong with this word anyway? stupid moral crap.

Seeing as how I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this board lately, I seem to have gotten into the bad habit of missing the beginning of a lot of neat conversations. So instead of repeating a lot of things, here's a list of people so far I agree with:

godisanathiest
rogue27
tenebrose
HoserHellspawn
Xtokalon
metalmancpa

Yes, I know. Very lazy of me. Still, I like to support those I feel are right even though the matter at hand is more of a teenage rebellion thing than a serious issue.

___
Incidentally, did you know gullible isn't in the dictionary, but redundant is there twice? Look it up yourself.

Heheheheheheheh.... that was great, Leper Affinity, you rule.

As a sidenote: the origins of the word 'fuck'... is it actually derived from that German word? I was told at some point that the word was actually originally an acronym developed within (humorously enough) the Catholic Church pertaining to the idea of fornication (what I'd guess the "F" stood for) under some particular circumstance (the clergy shagging, perhaps?)

Even if this isn't true at all... it'd be interesting (and hilarious) to see what people think it might stand for as an acronym.

"Fornication Unless the Church Knows"?
"Fabulous Udders Cheat Knowlingly"?
"Frosted Uterisis Cramp Knuckles"? (Uterii?)

It's just a word, a series of letters, it is absolutely harmless. Ignorant people give it power, but it has none of its own.

lol still nobody has read my god darn posts about how the gosh darn words can be substituted with other frekin words that aren't "bad" by society's rules and all of a sudden the person doesn't seem gosh freakin ignorant anymore do they? no they just sound like a gosh darnit normal guy posting.... fuck theres no difference goddamit!

Originally posted by Xtokalon
Expanding upon what I briefly broached in a previous post,

I don't like swearing from others in the case that the (over)use of swear words such as "fuck" symptomizes a person who may be

a) ignorant and uneducated- which I don't respect

b) generally vulgar with shallow tastes, which I don't respect.

c) disposed to be violent and pathological, which, needless to say, is another thing I don't respect and

d) the manifestation of values that encompass *a* *b* and *c* , which I not only do not respect, I hate with a passion.

on which basis there is a normative ethic to:

1) not curse so much, or refrain from cursing so much, (especially when situations don't call for it) in order to distance oneself from manifesting "vibes" if you will, associated with a, b, c, or the overarching humanity type d.

That's not stupid moral crap, that's noblesse I choose to follow. Fuck those who think otherwise !!! ;)

that's a bit of stereotyping, don't you think?

For once, Marilyn vos Sabant, the most intelligent person in this planet (IQ 228) curses all the time. She has almost done all kinds of careers and she's a complete pacifist. I think this kind of refutes what you've just said.

anyway, cursing is morally incorrect, but not ethically. Remember morals are defined by a society, and ethics are absolute. Offense is taken by someone only if that person wants to.

Yah, i try to swear as little as possible since i have a 5 year nephew running around, but i have learned one thing over time. if you want to piss off the bitches, just drop thier favorite word "cunt". gets em everytime

Originally posted by Xtokalon

Leper,

Pay attention to details and reread the part that's italicized in my post.

"I don't like swearing from others in the case that the (over)use of swear words such as "fuck" symptomizes a person who may be."

note those words IN THE CASE THAT

I think the wording precludes "stereo typing" since it draws from a particular perception and therefore cannot be a statement about the general humanity of those who curse.

But just to deal with this issue anyway, I can gurantee that there are many more people who curse precisely because they are a) un or undereducated b) generally vulgar c) sociopathic, and prone to ugly violence. That's just a simple fact, an actual scenario (of many scnearios). I'm not placing and haven't placed all those who curse under an umbrella. But I think it's safe to say that the more one is a or b or c, the more this person will be prone to cursing. On the other hand, you won't see a wide range of scholars, phds, and professors, cursing every other sentenece (and cursing like they hate everything in the world). But that's in my experience.

cheers

post edit: and what's this about morals and ethics? They are synonmous terms. Your dichotomy is an ignorant one. Also, you should realize that those particular reasons that I stated for why I dislike those who curse excessively, are not things that I presented as principles that are only valid within the mores of a given society. So what's your point?

your experience. you won't see scholars and phds cursing mainly because that's not socially acceptable, therefore their words lose credibility to the gullible eyes of most people out there. anyway, I know of great authors (some even Nobel Price winners) who have cursed every now or then, and have been very criticized because of that. cursing is a complemental part of the language and can (and should) be used very often in a lot of cases.

morals and ethics are two separate things. ever read Marx, Kierkegaard or Nietzsche? it is very common to confuse these terms.

by the way, what do you mean by cursing excessively? please place an example.

another thing. most of my friends are not uneducated, nor vulgar, nor sociopathic, nor prone to ugly violence. frankly, they're most culturized than most people out there. cursing is not due to certain standards. the fact there are barbaric people does not relate to cursing. cursing is part of the daily speech of everyone, be it intelligent, neanderthalish or average. there's nothing wrong with it.

arrogant pseudointellectuals...

on which basis there is a normative ethic to:

1) not curse so much, or refrain from cursing so much, (especially when situations don't call for it) in order to distance oneself from manifesting "vibes" if you will, associated with a, b, c, or the overarching humanity type d. "

Your talk about ethics as a mere ad populum kind of thing vs ethics as a search for, an institution of, and behavior based on "absolutes" seems strange, if not wholly irrelevent, as a reply to me. If I dislike cursing it's for particular reasons (all of which are stated), that do not appeal to the norms of a society for their justification. Try again.

well, first Nietzsche and Kierkegaard gave some other bases on defining the line between ethics and morality. Marx actually established it. "Morals are defined by the people"... that's a famous quote from him.

manifesting vibes from barbarian people? jeeze, that was ever stupid. elitist. you're not talking in pro of the language. "vibes"... that's ludicrous. you seem to be associating it based on mere prejudice. people can make a totally valid point even though they might use a lot of swearing. hell, the point of swearing is helping your point go through. you don't sound like a barbarian unless you make unfounded statements and curse just for the sake of it. there's no relation between both situations. they cannot be associated as you say.

behavior is always based on absolutes, or at least in what you think may be an absolute. like I said, all your arguments seem to be based on stubborn prejudice, and you give the impression of being nothing but an arrogant, elitist fuck (sigh). no offense.

ok, sorry.

but I really suggest you to read Marx's work. I also got confused at first. we all use to think morals and ethics are synonyms. yet we can define ethics as the study of the good-bad dichotomy in absolute terms and morals as what certain society establish as good and bad. well, that in Marx's opinion at least. it obviously is not established as such by any language academy.

oh, and yes, you did sound like a pseudointellectual.

>For once, Marilyn vos Sabant, the most intelligent
>person in this planet (IQ 228) curses all the time.
>She has almost done all kinds of careers and she's
>a complete pacifis

On a side note, IQ is a very limited and narrow intelligence measure. If she's capable of doing all kinds of different things then maybe she is indeed very intelligent in more ways, but the highest IQ score 'in the world' is certainly no guarantee that she's the most intelligent person in the world.

Originally posted by Mikael is God
lol still nobody has read my god darn posts about how the gosh darn words can be substituted with other frekin words that aren't "bad" by society's rules and all of a sudden the person doesn't seem gosh freakin ignorant anymore do they? no they just sound like a gosh darnit normal guy posting.... fuck theres no difference goddamit!

sorry..still seems ignorant AND silly to me.

I pretty much only swear when I'm excited or angry. But I'd be lying if I said it's not one of my favorite adjectives. It covers a wide range of vocab words that I'm lacking in. Some become so comfortable...they feel like phrases. Like "Shut the fuck up." :)

I looked up thing in the dictionary for the fun of it, and it said: anything, everything and everyone (I think) but, it was funny. It was a strange thing a friend started. Looking up obvious words...just to see how they'd describe it. (Where'd that come from!)

Did anyone ever get that email about "Flipping The Bird" and it's origin? I wondered how possible it was. I can't quite remember exactly what it said, but it was something like it came from a French war...and the bow made of a Yew tree? Oh yeah...and Pluck Yew was the actual first ways of saying it? I see so much online, and then I see how false they are later and wonder what's true anymore. But, did anyone ever hear the whole story? I'll have to get it again and post it.

Lynn

Silence... :cry: